• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Stan Lee Manuscript

22 posts in this topic

outlines have surfaced showing that lee wrote much more detailed plot lines,

The only things I've seen along those lines were from much earlier in the collaboration. If I saw something like that from after, say '64, I might rethink Stan's contribution to the later books a little... maybe 17%?

As for Stan giving credit, yes, he always did. Hell, he named him "King". The question, though, is did he give accurate credit?

I was referring to the earlier period, when the characters were being formed. That is the most important period. Creators (or co-creators) don't become any less the creator of a franchise just because they step back in later years, which is something you see in every medium with lasting characters.

If anyone thinks it makes Lee less of a creator because he lessened his input and eventually withdrew completely, they would have to say the same about Kirby, after he stopped working on the books.

outlines have surfaced showing that lee wrote much more detailed plot lines,

The only things I've seen along those lines were from much earlier in the collaboration. If I saw something like that from after, say '64, I might rethink Stan's contribution to the later books a little... maybe 17%?

As for Stan giving credit, yes, he always did. Hell, he named him "King". The question, though, is did he give accurate credit?

I was referring to the earlier period, when the characters were being formed. That is the most important period. Creators (or co-creators) don't become any less the creator of a franchise just because they step back in later years, which is something you see in every medium with lasting characters.

If anyone thinks it makes Lee less of a creator because he lessened his input and eventually withdrew completely, they would have to say the same about Kirby, after he stopped working on the books.

Certainly not me. I opened this thread with a comment on Stan's contribution to later Silver Age books drawn by Kirby; prompted by a document from '67 or '68. I'm curious about wether we actually have any disagreement? What percentage would you give to Stan's contribution to the Kirby books (and therefore to most of the core Marvel Universe, early, later, or overall?

best

Aaron