• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elektra movie

26 posts in this topic

Those are limited releases for Oscar purposes. makepoint.gif The "Weekend of Wide Release" is on the other chart. The fact that the movie opened in 20 theaters in December does not make it a "December release."

The fact that the movie opened in 20 theaters in December does not make it a "December release."

Hmmm, who should I believe, a Brainless Forum Fanboy Crank or the ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The fact that the movie opened in 20 theaters in December does not make it a "December release."

Hmmm, who should I believe, a Brainless Forum Fanboy Crank or the ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES.

Careful JC Brainless and Crank wheres your facts now?

popcorn.gif

Davidking623

FFB... actually, it IS a December release especially for the purposes of this Elektra discussion.

The studios open prestigious pics in NY /LA for a week to qualify. Then they go wide a week or more later so they dont get swamped in the Xmas week mess. And, being pushed for Academy consideration means they are the studios BIGGEST and BEST shots for awards, prestige and grosses. So... whil ethey go WIDE in January, they are not Jan releases, Cause Jan releases arent in Oscar consideration until the following year's awards. And January 2004 films will be long forgotten by voters and critics by the time they vote..a full year later.

So, anything that opens in Jan (for the first time in theatres) is a throwaway film, or a chopsocky mid to loew budget action flick hoping for a few counter-programming bucks against the "highbrow" Academy fare that fills the theatres in carryovers from December.

Sorry big guy, I gotta go with JC here, but not gleefully of course.

weren't you leaving for a week?

JC,

If you were one-fourth as smart as you like to pretend you are, you'd be a lot more interesting. Unfortunately, you're only about one-fourth as interesting as someone of average intelligence. As I see it, this places you somewhere on the level of a baboon who has figured out how to play exactly one note on a piano, so he bashes the one key over and over and over again and screams at the top of his baboon lungs because his trainers can't figure out that he thinks he's really playing Mozart and he wants some praise and recognition.

P.S. The "Weekend of Wide Release" figures I gave you come from Boxofficemojo.com. They are not known for falsifying info.

P.P.S. You can leave now, Mozart.