• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Information, knowledge, and these boards

85 posts in this topic

I've had a full twenty-four hours to digest all of the current happenings, and felt the need to throw my two cents worth into the mix as well.

First, some anecdotes. I talked with Comgeek for all of thirty seconds at last year’s Chicago forum dinner, but in that time he shared more interesting information than most people with a thousand posts here have. About a year and a half ago I called up Chris Foss looking for Spokanes, and got the best twenty minute conversation about pedigrees ever. Two years ago I chatted with Bob Beerbohm only briefly, but walked away feeling like I had learned enough about the comic book world to write a book. One year ago I learned enough about the Edgar Church pedigree from Stuart Degraff to write a book. Over this time I’ve also collected my own set of stories, and have even been able to share a couple of them from time to time. So yes, there’s a lot of information out there, only a fraction of which ever gets mentioned on this public forum.

When someone like Zillatoy, Timely, Tripps, Linmoth, Moondog, etc. makes a post on these boards, that post’s substance and history and introspection tends to stand head and shoulders above the petty flame wars and graemlin posts and thousandth thread about pressing or comic-keys or CGG or who’s scamming whom on eBay this hour. It is this quality of post that is the root of this misperceived “BSD worship.” In this world, knowledge is golden and gives worth and value to a person, not some decaying scraps of paper entombed in plastic. For example, if Dave Anderson were to pop on these boards he’d be bombarded with questions running the gamut from his Action #1 to what type of sump-pump system he has in place. But that’s because he has the knowledge and the information we want to make ourselves better -- better posters, better collectors, better conveyors of info … better people.

Comgeek’s meltdown last night was his ham-fisted attempt at describing this ideal situation where useful, valid information is shared and exchanged freely and without bias, causing us all to come out better people. This board has the unique potential across the entire Internet to fulfill that goal. I mean, where else on the Web will you find such a deep well of historical figures from the comic book world upon which to draw information? Sure, there are specialized mailing lists that cater to Kirby or Timely/Atlas or original art collectors, but they’re fragmented across all of cyberspace. This board is right here, right now, 24/7, with enough members out there just teeming with knowledge and are (more or less) willing to share. And what do we mostly end up talking about? [!@#%^&^]. Stupid [!@#%^&^], rehashed [!@#%^&^], [!@#%^&^] we have no clue what we’re talking about but still have to give our opinion -- no matter if it’s right or wrong -- on. Is it any wonder so many people with real information and knowledge leave or never join our group in the first place?

I wish we could better balance the signal to noise ratio here. But that’s just me. While guys like me and Fantastic Four and FFB are primarily here to soak up info, that’s obviously not the case for everyone. A lot of the dealers here carry the number one goal of selling a book. A number of us are simply here to make friends -- being comic collectors we’re probably introverted and outcast and being around others like us reinforces our belief that we’re “okay” or “normal.” And a very small minority of us derives pleasure from always being right or by somehow illustrating how they’re so much “better” or “smarter” than the rest of us. Everyone exhibits a number of these characteristics throughout their posting career, but one is always dominant. And like a person who collects super-heroes or westerns or funny books or pedigrees, no one is the “ideal” board member. I do feel there are probably better places on the Internet for some of the above activities outside of the first, and the last activity almost always ends up alienating vast tracts of people, but again, that’s just my belief. And you do have to admit that the current motley crew does tend to keep things interesting. But I still wish we could get more informative posts here.

And be civil to one another.

Alan

Hear Hear Alan,

and well said sir!

That's the most intelligent post I've read since coming to these boards!

Kudos to you.

As someone who has been extensively involved in comics myself since 1964, I have met a lot of people in my time around the globe who share the interest that we have.

My conclusion;

That Comic collectors are generally funny people with a different slant on life, and there is a unique comaraderie between us, which I love.

But never have I been exposed to such negativity and purile nonsense since coming to these boards.

Whether it's got something to do with people having an alter ego when they are tapping away on their computer.....

Now there's an idea for a comic character!

INTERNET BOY or KEYBOARD MAN, CGC FORUM NO BRAIN LAD or whatever.

There are a few jewels amongst these boards like yourself, and for that reason the true enthusiasists must persevere.

Once again...Well said

Hear Hear,

and well said sir!

That's the most intelligent post I've read since coming to these boards!

Kudos to you.

As someone who has been extensively involved in comics myself since 1964, I have met a lot of people in my time around the globe who share the interest that we have.

My conclusion;

That Comic collectors are generally funny people with a different slant on life, and there is a unique comaraderie between us, which I love.

But never have I been exposed to such negativity and purile nonsense since coming to these boards.

Whether it's got something to do with people having an alter ego when they are tapping away on their computer.....

Now there's an idea for a comic character!

INTERNET BOY or KEYBOARD MAN, CGC FORUM NO BRAIN LAD or whatever.

There are a few jewels amongst these boards like yourself, and for that reason the true enthusiasists must persevere.

Once again...Well said

My post above which I made in response to Alan, also holds good for you too sir!

I say to you also, WELL SPOKEN!

I'd like to say ty to pov and others...i've learned quite a bit here. It's taken me quite some time to get to 100 posts, I don't feel like I know enough, most of the time, to make a comment on something. I like the comment I read earlier, I don't put anyone on iggy either.

DAMMIT. Everyone read this thread from start to finish before you make one more post. Please.

The sheer madness of the past few weeks here has made me want to claw my eyes out on many occasions. I implore you all, save my eyes.

Seriously, let's get this board back on track.

sign-rantpost.gif

King Alan the Elitist

I get a kick out of flames. It's not everyday you see someone standing in their underwear in the middle of the street denigrating How someone else is dressed.

I bought Hulk 181 for cover price and sold it for several hundred multiples of cover price. I bet half the people who flame or denigrate anyone asking questions about it, wanting to sell it, wanting it would love to be able to say that about their 10 copies of X-mne number #1 and Punisher's War Journal #1

I am ignorant about a lot of subjects surrounding the hobby. IMO anyone looking down there nose flaming here is stupid.

My own pet peeve is the endless 2 word quote repost posts back and forth that maybe other people find witty but, are just spam to be filtered while I look for something to read for me. I kind of wonder when i read thewm if they aren't menat to be thread killers. More than once I just gave up reading a thread because I lost patience with what I thought was spam. I'd rather read a flame and lookfor the grain of truth it snowballed from.