• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rookie Question re prices on recent Image books

42 posts in this topic

I haven`t bought a new comic in at least 5 years and truthfully I haven`t bought books off the stand regularly in at least 12.

I know this is probably really obvious to everyone but me, but what`s up with the prices on recent images. I am seeing books in the marketplace that came out last year for 10-500.

WD1 one I get, that`s 100 issues in and very popular. But what`s up with these newer (so new they must be unproven) titles......... prices seem high... somebody fill me in ??? Seems like its 4 or 5 different titles and quite a few issues of each. Some must be literally six months old

Same for film tie-ins. Everyone's trying desperately not to miss the next Thanos.

Instant feeding frenzy.

[font:Book Antiqua]It’s only a speculation game,

The first guy buy the book for $ 5.00

the next one is selling the variant for $ 25

then someone come with the ultra rare 1: 500 SS 9.9 and is expecting to get $5,000

for a book that is 6 month old.

Don’t waste your time or money in this frenzy.[/font]

2c

:whatev:

As others have said, they are trying to get the next Walking Dead.

I really want/wanted (hopefully have one in the mail coming to me today :) ) Invincible #1 because I enjoyed it, and I read a couple of times in his comments section that Kirkman had been offered to do Invincible movies or something, but that he wouldn't do it if he thought it was going to suck. So I wanted to jump on the band wagon and grab a copy of #1 before it became out of my price range like Walking Dead.

I didn't know until today that Peter Panzerfaust had been picked up by BBC, which explains the crazyness for it. Although I could have read that wrong.

Saga I don't quite get. I picked up the TPB because everyone in the store was like ZOMG SAGAH! but it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not sure how the heck they could do the TV face prince haha.

PP and BBC isn't a sure thing.

Read the 1st trade of Saga.. Yea, it's that good.

There's some good books coming out of Image, the prices are a bit high.. But the game is fun so far.. Probably wont last much longer though.

There's some good books coming out of Image, the prices are a bit high.. But the game is fun so far.. Probably wont last much longer though.

[font:Book Antiqua]Yes, the books are good reading material;

investing on them for a long time...

Mmmm, Not so wise.[/font]

2c

Now that some baseball card dealers/speculators have gotten involved I expect epic prices for moderns this year,but as you say it will eventualy have a major pop.

I think though we have got at least until the Avengers 2 movie debuts before the pop, so plenty of time to make some cash. (thumbs u

:headbang:

back_to_the_90s.jpg

(thumbs u

Having lived through the 90s bubble, as I am sure many here did, this is starting to feel eerily similar. Books that are 2 months old are selling for $40 apiece (Nowhere Men). And while the stories are good in the hot titles (e.g. Saga, Nowhere Men, Revival), and not so good in others (I didn't love Blackacre), the prices and frenzy are getting quite frothy for stuff that isn't that old.

The fact that so many new Image books are commanding such high prices so quickly is really starting to look bubblicious. I have thought for a while that we were heading into another bubble, and that feeling has intensified in the last 2-3 weeks. I've been buying to read, but am seriously considering selling off everything that is smoking hot now and buying trades.

Was a baseball card collector in the 80s and 90s

More often than not your new Image #1 is a Kevin Maas or a Brian Taylor rookie card

Every now and then its a Jeter.

The first gets hot based on speculation and projections, the second due to actual performance. I dont speculate on books, but if I did I'd make sure there was some quality (concept, writing, etc) behind the price tag, not just potential.

Truth be told Image is actually doing a great job with stories and art,and people are noticing.Chew,Thief of Thieves,Saga and Nowhere Men are actually great reads despite the "next Walking Dead" syndrome you guys speak of.

Truth be told Image is actually doing a great job with stories and art,and people are noticing.Chew,Thief of Thieves,Saga and Nowhere Men are actually great reads despite the "next Walking Dead" syndrome you guys speak of.

I am halfway through Manhattan Projects and it is AWESOME!

I am halfway through Manhattan Projects and it is AWESOME!

(thumbs u