• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just picked up some great software to save EBAY Auctions (and more)!

16 posts in this topic

http://www.soft32.com/download_7688.html

While I love the idea and function of GPA Analysis, I buy mostly non-CGC'd copies of lower grade books. In the past, I would acquire my own market research by saving EBAY completed auctions on my local pc. Now it seems, at least with IE 6.x one cannot "save" Ebay completed auctions. Enter "Easy Web Page Saver". This handy little utility will save everything in a web page into a single file, including graphics and all! It doesn't create subdirectories for the graphics/javascript either, it simply creates a single "all-inclusive" file that you can specify by name, date, or manually enter a name for the page.

Coolest part is, it sits at the top of your I.E. toolbar as a tiny little icon. See a web page you want? Just click it!

I don't work for these guys or anything - just thought I'd share. Also, I have yet to see a web page it wouldn't save..pretty slick stuff! Now, keep in mind this isn't "spider" software, and won't go out and "crawl" a web page and save everything - it's for single page use only. Again, works perfectly for EBAY.

Last comment - the coolest fact is the files are saved in .mht format, so if you have multiple machines you'll be able to view them without loading any additonal software.

For those interested, here's a link to a completed EBAY Auction in 2001 that I re-saved with this software.

(Be sure to right click and hit "save as" for this file)

Single File containing 2001 Pep 45 EBAY auction

Much larger one containing a Pep 22 from 2002...

Now it seems, at least with IE 6.x one cannot "save" Ebay completed auctions. Enter "Easy Web Page Saver".

A recent patch to Internet Explorer changed it so that if a page has a link to a Cascading Style Sheet (.CSS) file that is not on the same web site as the page itself, IE won't let you save the page. It's a ham-handed way of fixing some kind of security exploit that I don't understand. E-Bay's CSS file is on a different server than the auction pages are. 893frustrated.gif

I save ebay pages by saving to HTML only, which still works. If I really want the graphics, I save to HTML only first, edit the page by searching for the HTML link tag for the CSS and replacing it with empty text, and then save the page. Takes about 10 seconds per page instead of the 2 or 3 it used to, but it's not unmanagable. I wish Microsoft would fix these problems instead of taking away features, though...

Wow. I hardly ever save web pages, so I hadn't noticed this before, but that's just stupid. How on Earth is preventing the saving of a plain text file, even if it's located on another server, closing a security hole? Maybe the gurus over at M$ got confused and thought by blocking .css files they were closing a Cross Site Scripting vulnerability. 27_laughing.gif

Mozilla/ Firebird still handles it correctly.

I save ebay pages by saving to HTML only, which still works. If I really want the graphics, I save to HTML only first, edit the page by searching for the HTML link tag for the CSS and replacing it with empty text, and then save the page. Takes about 10 seconds per page instead of the 2 or 3 it used to, but it's not unmanagable. I wish Microsoft would fix these problems instead of taking away features, though...

It takes about 1 second with that software, and all files are contained in the .mht itself. Give it a try if you want - it's really handy!

Shawn

Thanks for the heads up on this piece of software, I might give it a try. It is a real pain that auction pages can no longer be saved in full,and HTML only doesn't do it for me as I want the comic book scans too as part of the record. I have recently started printing the pages of auctions I want to save, which has freed up space on my computer, but is costing me a fortune in paper and ink. 893frustrated.gif

It takes about 1 second with that software, and all files are contained in the .mht itself. Give it a try if you want - it's really handy!

I can't get MHT (Microsoft's web archive format) to display images correctly. I can tell by looking at the content of an MHT file in a text editor that the binary data for images is in there, but they never seem to show up for some reason; IE still seems to go out to the web looking for them, and if they're not there, the images don't show.

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon with IE? I love the concept of MHT, but they seem to be buggy. I was saving ebay pages in this format up until I realized the image display bug was there.

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon with IE? I love the concept of MHT, but they seem to be buggy. I was saving ebay pages in this format up until I realized the image display bug was there.

I can't get it to work either. If you have an easy way of saving an eBay webpage (including images) without installing additional software, I would love to know about it. thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm. Which version of IE you running? 6.x? Also, do you have (on by default) "Enable automatic Image resizing" or "Display Image Toolbar"?

IE 6 with all the default settings. Although I have had no luck saving the pages on a bunch of different machines which may have different settings. Also this has only started to be a problem in the last month or so, always worked fine before with exactly the same set up. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm. Which version of IE you running? 6.x? Also, do you have (on by default) "Enable automatic Image resizing" or "Display Image Toolbar"?

I've got that image resizing [!@#%^&^] off...I don't need IE resizing high resolution comic scans for me. We're mostly all using IE 6.x these days since Microsoft decided not to release new versions of the browser for free anymore and bundle it only with new versions of the operating system starting with the successor to Windows XP. New browser enhancements are dead, but the bugs live on...all the ill effects of complacency due to lack of competition the FTC was worried about when they filed the antitrust suit against Microsoft have become the reality of all of our daily lives!!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.giffrown.gif

New browser enhancements are dead, but the bugs live on...all the ill effects of complacency due to lack of competition the FTC was worried about when they filed the antitrust suit against Microsoft have become the reality of all of our daily lives!!!!

Does anyone know if Netscape is any better? confused-smiley-013.gif