• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

I love using the flat rate bubble mailers. 3-4 pieces of cardboard depending on the amount of issues (I never go above 4). Freebies throughout to keep it stiff. I usually use it for raw sales over $50. I have probably shipped 30-40 packages this way through this website and never had a problem or complaint about the packaging.

I also use the bubble mailers for slabs. Slid it in one and slide another one on top the opposite way. Box it in Priority Mail and stuff with peanuts. I never had a cracked slab. But I also ship a ton less slabs than raws.

Yeah a 10 x15 bubble mailer with sturdy cardboard is perfect. Make sure the cardboard is larger then the comic. Then take the comic and put it in a 2nd bag that you can tape to the cardboard. It wont move in transit. You can then remove the book from the tape and still have boarded and bagged comic.

2 mailers can work that route pretty well. I have used cardboard the same way as well.

I am now liking those new Legal Priority Flat Rate Envelopes now. They are longer and allow much better packing.

I have been shipping comics in bubble mailers for years. No problems. Max of 4 books, lots of sturdy cardboard, all is well.

I just had a package come from a shop, it was packed in a box, 20 books or so. Books put in the box with peanuts around it. So it moved around and damaged a lot of the books. So its usually how you pack. Now that shop is saying, so sad, to bad for you......I'm about to go postal on them.. :devil:

Exactly. You can buy thick pre-cut 9 x 12 shipping pads/inserts from shipping supplies stores that are perfect for mailing books with. (thumbs u

WRT boxes, I have received more damaged shipments from eBay/comic store mail order/other board member purchases using boxes than I have with bubblepadded mailers and cardboard. Just because you request a box, it does not mean that the seller will ensure that the books will be packed safely and securely.

Exactly. You can buy thick pre-cut 9 x 12 shipping pads/inserts from shipping supplies stores that are perfect for mailing books with. (thumbs u

WRT boxes, I have received more damaged shipments from eBay/comic store mail order/other board member purchases using boxes than I have with bubblepadded mailers and cardboard. Just because you request a box, it does not mean that the seller will ensure that the books will be packed safely and securely.

I have been looking for 9x12 precuts to buy. The store I used to use only had 8x11 and thats not big enough for me I want 9x12 or larger if I can get it. I dont mind cutting it, but 9x12 or slightly larger would be perfect for me.

I'm pushing to get Vol. 1 into my LCS weekly GN Rundown and Recommendations. It's like a good housekeeping seal of approval for a lot of folks, so hopefully todd can find some new homes.

THANK YOU! Let's get this TPB on the NYT bestseller list...

Picked up a trade today. Its an extra copy. If anyone wants to read the trade and hasn't been able to read the singles PM me. All be more then happy to ship my extra copy to help promote the book.

Local shop already put in a second order for TPB.

Love the character introductions and the intro by Danny.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I'm pushing to get Vol. 1 into my LCS weekly GN Rundown and Recommendations. It's like a good housekeeping seal of approval for a lot of folks, so hopefully todd can find some new homes.

THANK YOU! Let's get this TPB on the NYT bestseller list...

No problem, Ken. Anything I can do to get the word out. You've been gracious enough to come on here and share some great info. It's the least I can do. Also, I like to be the person who knew about it before it was cool.

nerd_glasses.jpg

The good: The comic has ties to Danny Trejo and Caesar is loosely based on Edward Bunker.

The bad: I just don't see how this has much staying power. How many jokes can you have centered around dealings of convicts going over innocent little Todd's head? Example: they carve Snitch into someone's forehead and Todd mistakened it for frosting. I admit it was funny but how many times can you play that out?

And the prison lingo is going to be used very often. Which is frustrating in itself and it doesn't help that they have the glossary at the end of the book & not the beginning next to the character summaries.

And speaking of the character summaries -- they have summaries before they even introduce some characters, which is a bit silly. If this was not a comedic piece, I would accuse them of cutting corners in proper character development.

And how many issues are they gonna play the prison out for? They either stretch it out to a ridiculous extent, or Todd gets out of prison at which point you lose half the characters including Caesar.

Instead, I don't see that happening. I think Casear and Tood will break out of prison (issue #8). And that storyline sounds like a snooze fest. Been there, read or saw that.

What I would do: forget Todd. Make a documentary or movie based on the true story of Bunker taking prisoners (one of them being Trejo) under his wing. Close the series on Bunker's role as a Hollywood screenwriter. This might be what Todd is driving towards but I'd love to see something closer to the true story.

TL; DR I'm not buying into Todd. My investment of two raw sets will not grow.

That's my take.

Edited by revivedrevival

The good: The comic has ties to Danny Trejo and Caesar is loosely based on Edward Bunker.

The bad: I just don't see how this has much staying power. How many jokes can you have centered around dealings of convicts going over innocent little Todd's head? Example: they carve Snitch into someone's forehead and Todd mistakened it for frosting. I admit it was funny but how many times can you play that out?

And the prison lingo is going to be used very often. Which is frustrating in itself and it doesn't help that they have the glossary at the end of the book & not the beginning next to the character summaries.

And speaking of the character summaries -- they have summaries before they even introduce some characters, which is a bit silly. If this was not a comedic piece, I would accuse them of cutting corners in proper character development.

And how many issues are they gonna play the prison out for? They either stretch it out to a ridiculous extent, or Todd gets out of prison at which point you lose half the characters including Caesar.

Instead, I don't see that happening. I think Casear and Tood will break out of prison (issue #8). And that storyline sounds like a snooze fest. Been there, read or saw that.

What I would do: forget Todd. Make a documentary or movie based on the true story of Bunker taking prisoners (one of them being Trejo) under his wing. Close the series on Bunker's role as a Hollywood screenwriter. This might be what Todd is driving towards but I'd love to see something closer to the true story.

That's my take.

For answers to some of your concerns: read issue 4! And yes -- there is an Eddie Bunker documentary currently in post production. All your wishes are coming true!

Todd is certainly over the top naïve, however there are tv characters who's naïve nature have proved very successful, Georgette on the Mary Tyler Moore show, Edith Bunker, Gracie Allen, etc.

...and Buddy the Elf, and Moral Orel, and, uh, Don Quixote....and don't forget Candide!

Edited by KenKristensen

That's my take.

For answers to some of your concerns: read issue 4! And yes -- there is an Eddie Bunker documentary currently in post production. All your wishes are coming true!

Maybe I spoke too soon; I just started issue #4. I hope that's the case.

I do see new readers having a little trouble with some of the lingo.

That documentrary sounds exciting.

That's my take.

I think Ken is hoping for new readers...........The less copies you invest in the more copies for readers to buy. The Todd TPB is already a 5x stocking stuffer this year. :)