• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

The good: The comic has ties to Danny Trejo and Caesar is loosely based on Edward Bunker.

The bad: I just don't see how this has much staying power. How many jokes can you have centered around dealings of convicts going over innocent little Todd's head? Example: they carve Snitch into someone's forehead and Todd mistakened it for frosting. I admit it was funny but how many times can you play that out?

And the prison lingo is going to be used very often. Which is frustrating in itself and it doesn't help that they have the glossary at the end of the book & not the beginning next to the character summaries.

And speaking of the character summaries -- they have summaries before they even introduce some characters, which is a bit silly. If this was not a comedic piece, I would accuse them of cutting corners in proper character development.

And how many issues are they gonna play the prison out for? They either stretch it out to a ridiculous extent, or Todd gets out of prison at which point you lose half the characters including Caesar.

Instead, I don't see that happening. I think Casear and Tood will break out of prison (issue #8). And that storyline sounds like a snooze fest. Been there, read or saw that.

What I would do: forget Todd. Make a documentary or movie based on the true story of Bunker taking prisoners (one of them being Trejo) under his wing. Close the series on Bunker's role as a Hollywood screenwriter. This might be what Todd is driving towards but I'd love to see something closer to the true story.

TL; DR I'm not buying into Todd. My investment of two raw sets will not grow.

That's my take.

Samsonite! I was way off!!! The above quote is from late 3Q2013 (August).

To the Todd boardies: you're awesome. in other threads I have been flamed for mistakening an ash tray for an ashcan. In this thread, you left me alone with my uber silly comments  (not flamed)

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth is now not only in my pull list but I've bought a few trades to give put to friends and family.

Great work, Ken and M. K. I look forward to more.

Edited by revivedrevival

The good: The comic has ties to Danny Trejo and Caesar is loosely based on Edward Bunker.

The bad: I just don't see how this has much staying power. How many jokes can you have centered around dealings of convicts going over innocent little Todd's head? Example: they carve Snitch into someone's forehead and Todd mistakened it for frosting. I admit it was funny but how many times can you play that out?

And the prison lingo is going to be used very often. Which is frustrating in itself and it doesn't help that they have the glossary at the end of the book & not the beginning next to the character summaries.

And speaking of the character summaries -- they have summaries before they even introduce some characters, which is a bit silly. If this was not a comedic piece, I would accuse them of cutting corners in proper character development.

And how many issues are they gonna play the prison out for? They either stretch it out to a ridiculous extent, or Todd gets out of prison at which point you lose half the characters including Caesar.

Instead, I don't see that happening. I think Casear and Tood will break out of prison (issue #8). And that storyline sounds like a snooze fest. Been there, read or saw that.

What I would do: forget Todd. Make a documentary or movie based on the true story of Bunker taking prisoners (one of them being Trejo) under his wing. Close the series on Bunker's role as a Hollywood screenwriter. This might be what Todd is driving towards but I'd love to see something closer to the true story.

TL; DR I'm not buying into Todd. My investment of two raw sets will not grow.

That's my take.

Samsonite! I was way off!!! The above quote is from late 3Q2013 (August).

To the Todd boardies: you're awesome. in other threads I have been flamed for mistakening an ash tray for an ashcan. In this thread, you left me alone with my uber silly comments  (not flamed)

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth is now not only in my pull list but I've bought a few trades to give put to friends and family.

Great work, Ken and M. K. I look forward to more.

hm ........... lol

I was around for the ashtray comment... it was pretty funny.

Ken talk to Image and print up 250 blanks. Don't release them but bring them to the shows with M.K. The only way to get one is if M.K. commissions the sketch.

That would be cool for die hard Todd fans (thumbs u

Ken talk to Image and print up 250 blanks. Don't release them but bring them to the shows with M.K. The only way to get one is if M.K. commissions the sketch.

That would be cool for die hard Todd fans (thumbs u

Sorry Ken you can do some sketches on the blanks too ;)

If Kirkman can,so can you!! lol