• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morning Glories

133 posts in this topic

well, objectively speaking... you're wrong.

Objectively speaking, you have poor taste and extremely low standards.

DG

You, sir, are one of the biggest black clouds to rain on these boards. (thumbs u

And, what's with signing every post? Does that reflect a sense of self importance?

In the real world, there are sunny days and rainy days.

Macquarie Island in Australia gets over 300 days of cloud and rain a year. That's your real world equivalent. :grin:

You keep signing your name to your oh-so-important opinions, 'Dirk'. (thumbs u

I think the reality is that you strive to be a manipulator and my opinions simply disagree with yours. By dwelling upon your own inadequacies as a speculator, it makes you feel better to paint me as an overbearing dark cloud that creates problems for your cause.

I came here showing respect, whereas I could have pulled out a copy and nitpicked every single reason why it is boring and fails at it's ability to entertain me.

Have you considered that ignoring the opinions of those with whom you disagree might be wiser than insulting and attacking them. The seed that receives no water and moisture does not sprout into a problem which you have no capacity to control.

DG

Ramses you know you can't argue with facts. Those don't count.

I'm optimistic about this series. And that's why I'm hoping Spencer shows up again in the near future. I'd like to see this series reach the conclusion the writer has in store for it.

Though I admit, I had no idea Savage Dragon was selling that low.

But Bedlam does have more readers copies sold per issue at this point than Morning Glories. I'm not sure how long Bedlam is going to last, but MG is going to last about 100 issues.

With about 9000 copies sold/book, it's a good idea to increase readership by offering an issue at $1.

I don't want to be the one raining on the parade, but there's no chance whatsoever that MG will last 100 issues with a print run of less than 9,000 copies (and going down) ...

If MG were a DC or Marvel comic, I would agree with you 100%.

But since it's Image, it's more likely to finish its run. Maybe Nick Spencer can return and chime in here.

Here's some "numbers" I pulled from Diamond for January 2013.

Witchblade 163 - 7655

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose 78 - 6777

Simpsons Comics 198 - 6593 (though I'm sure newsstand sales help)

Darkness 110 - 4869

Savage Dragon 184 - 4366

Knights of the Dinner Table 194 - 2994

Gold Digger 146 - 1837

It's an apples to oranges comparison, though.

From your list, only 3 titles are actually being published by Image - Witchblade, Darkness and Savage Dragon. All three of those started in the 90s and had huge print runs when they were initially published - both Witchblade & Darkness have had multiple crossovers and spinoffs (not to mention TV shows) which have helped keep them around for a long time even as their print runs have dwindled. And as Savage Dragon is basically a vanity project these days, run by one of the Image founders, I have a feeling that that series can go on as long as Larsen wants it to.

Apart from WD, can you name a single image title published post-2000 that has come anywhere close to hitting 100 issues? Or even 50 issues for that matter?

Invincible

Also written by Kirkman though.

But aren't a lot of Image books more or less finite series? Chew will end at 60, Mind the Gap will last about 36 issues. Peter Panzerfaust is 25. Noble Causes hit 40. Elephantmen is on 46 I believe.

It's creator owned so the creators can choose to end when they see fit.

Only time will tell when MG ends.

It's an apples to oranges comparison, though.

From your list, only 3 titles are actually being published by Image - Witchblade, Darkness and Savage Dragon. All three of those started in the 90s and had huge print runs when they were initially published - both Witchblade & Darkness have had multiple crossovers and spinoffs (not to mention TV shows) which have helped keep them around for a long time even as their print runs have dwindled. And as Savage Dragon is basically a vanity project these days, run by one of the Image founders, I have a feeling that that series can go on as long as Larsen wants it to.

Apart from WD, can you name a single image title published post-2000 that has come anywhere close to hitting 100 issues? Or even 50 issues for that matter?

Elephantmen is near #50 and has a print run of something like 4000.

9000 is a good number of sales for a creator-owned project.

Unless a book isn't even paying for the cost of printing anymore, it can go on for as long as the creators are willing.

well, objectively speaking... you're wrong.

Objectively speaking, you have poor taste and extremely low standards.

DG

You, sir, are one of the biggest black clouds to rain on these boards. (thumbs u

And, what's with signing every post? Does that reflect a sense of self importance?

In the real world, there are sunny days and rainy days.

Macquarie Island in Australia gets over 300 days of cloud and rain a year. That's your real world equivalent. :grin:

You keep signing your name to your oh-so-important opinions, 'Dirk'. (thumbs u

I think the reality is that you strive to be a manipulator and my opinions simply disagree with yours. By dwelling upon your own inadequacies as a speculator, it makes you feel better to paint me as an overbearing dark cloud that creates problems for your cause.

DG

I have nothing to manipulate. I also have not speculated on this title, and don't have a 'cause'. (shrug)

I finally read 24 today and enjoyed it immensely. Things are really shaping up for this "season finale" and hoping we'll finally get to see the cast back together.

But I still don't know how there are two Abrahams

I assumed he somehow did not die when his son killed him the first time? The series also opened up the possibility of time travel...

I finally read 24 today and enjoyed it immensely. Things are really shaping up for this "season finale" and hoping we'll finally get to see the cast back together.

But I still don't know how there are two Abrahams

I assumed he somehow did not die when his son killed him the first time? The series also opened up the possibility of time travel...

I think issue 11 shows Ike over the body then Abraham walks in. So...probably time travel......or cloning. Remember Jade's hallucination in the laboratory in issue 10?

I gave up on this book around issue 14. I hope it succeeds it stood out among all new titles because it dragged you back for more. I will keep reading the trades as I can get one to see where it went, but as a monthly it just felt like I was reading the X-men from the 80s. All types of plot threads with nothing wrapped up.

Yea I started reading it as it came out. I was actually working in my LCS and it flying off the shelf. My co worker quickly grabbed us both copies that Wednesday cause it was sold out by the time I got there. 2nd prints went pretty quickly too.

However, I got so confused to what was going on that I dropped it a few months back. Actually had a conversation with Spencer over on CBR's boards about all the unanswered questions making things confusing.

I also started to have a hard time keeping track of who was who. All the girls just started to look the same. I think the book suffered from me reading a ton of titles.

This is the book that got my wife hook to comics. We have been together for the past 10 years and it took morning glories to finally get her in. Now, she can't stop reading it off her tablet.

I know there are lots of unanswered plots but I wonder why there is no love for this series.

Cheers : )

This is always my favorite thing to hear about the book, so thanks.

For people feeling confused/lost, Multiversity does a really fantastic column called Study Hall, that annotates and theorizes on each issue (and Joe & I do podcast recaps with them at the end of each arc):

http://multiversitycomics.com/tag/mga-study-hall/

I also do a recap interview series over at CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/tag/morning+glory+days

The Morning Glories tumblr tag always has a lot of cool stuff, too:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/morning+glories

As does its companion, MG Spoilers:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mg%20spoilers

The night of each issue's release, we do a fan-organized tinychat, too, at 8:13 EST:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me27j5csUa1qelfc3o1_400.png

So, yeah, help is out there :) The book is designed to be a challenging read that demands your attention, but the people who get into it seem to really enjoy it.

So, yeah, help is out there :) The book is designed to be a challenging read that demands your attention, but the people who get into it seem to really enjoy it.

nice, i said in bedlam you were convincing me to check it out. Now i am sold, I love complex stories. Going to pick it up this week and start reading.

Complex doesn't begin to describe it.

It's infuriating... I stopped after issue 11 I believe. I didn't know what the hell was going on issue to issue and I felt every issue ended in a cliffhanger but not of the "oh what happens next?" Variety. They always ended in the "what the hell was that? What did I just read? Why did that happen?" variety.

I just felt it was complex for the sake of being complex and trying to twist and turn as much as possible instead of actually developing the story or moving things along.

Sorry nick :(