• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Preview. #7 posted by B. Koski

9 posts in this topic

This was something different..

Was at my LCS and found something cool..(Marvel Preview #7). What makes this book a neat piece, is the fact it's the 1st appearance of Rocket Raccoon and print run on these magazine style books were low. So yeah, I thought it was a cool find.

12997.jpg

See more journals by B. Koski

Nice find. I do not know why this book is not listed as his first appearance. Hulk 271 is, both in the Overstreet and by CGC. Of course, this book came out about 5 year’s prior to the Hulk one. I wondered if it was because this is a magazine and they were only registering comic books, but Star Lords 1st appearance is listed in Marvel Preview which is also a magazine so it seems inconsistent. Any ideas anyone?

Nice find. I do not know why this book is not listed as his first appearance. Hulk 271 is, both in the Overstreet and by CGC. Of course, this book came out about 5 year’s prior to the Hulk one. I wondered if it was because this is a magazine and they were only registering comic books, but Star Lords 1st appearance is listed in Marvel Preview which is also a magazine so it seems inconsistent. Any ideas anyone?

The tie-in to continuity is a little fuzzy, because of the 1st app. being in a B&W magazine. The wiki states that Bill Mantlo made it clear that the character was the same one that appeared in MP#7, so that should pretty much settle it right there.

There are people who don't like magazines (size and storage issues etc.) and the 1st comic app is Hulk 271 which has taken off like a Rocket (pun intended). So right now price is indicating the 271 is the key issue, but MP#7 is very clearly the 1st app.

From what I've seen Rocky Raccoon is really a prototype for Rocket Raccoon that was later retconned as the same character by the creator. That in combination with it being a non-cover magazine appearance will probably always make it easy for some collectors to ignore and decide they don't need it. MP #7 may end up one of those books like Dime Press #4 or Hulk #180, first appearances that only completists are really going to care about.

GOTG is probably the riskiest Marvel movie project yet, as the characters are all pretty obscure. With speculative arcs getting shorter and shorter in comic books, the GOTG appearances may be close to peaking. On the other hand, if this is all just preamble to a decade of Rocket Raccoon cartoons, video games, and product tie-ins, and your kids are going to school with Rocket Raccoon backpacks, then there is probably room to grow.

This was something different..

Was at my LCS and found something cool..(Marvel Preview #7). What makes this book a neat piece, is the fact it's the 1st appearance of Rocket Raccoon and print run on these magazine style books were low. So yeah, I thought it was a cool find.

12997.jpg

See more journals by B. Koski

What makes this book a neat piece is the Satana feature, and cover. Satana is one of the most interesting Marvel characters of the 1970s, side-by-side with his brother.Rocket Raccon is cool, but not because they decided to make a movie about these forcedly new (?) Guardians of the Galaxy. Besides, they turned Rocky into some sort of "big gun" hero "a la Cable", which he’s not.I‘d love to agree with rjpb, so I can finally have a copy of MP #7. Dime Press #4 is by no means a "first appearance" of Hellboy, whatever completists may think… lol