• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

premium for pedigree

7 posts in this topic

How much premium do pedigree command over a non-pedigree copy of the same grade. I know it depends on the pedigree and the book in question. Is there a rule of thumb. I have seen pedigree get 25% to 50% more on lower price books in the one hundred to two hundred books range. On big books, I would expect maybe 10 to 20%, eg. one to two thousand dollar books.

Whatever you want to pay for it. I have seen crazy things happen for certain peds.

Pretty much. To me, a pedigree is more attractive if the back story to the collection is known. Then it's more than a name. It becomes provenance. (thumbs u

How much premium do pedigree command over a non-pedigree copy of the same grade. I know it depends on the pedigree and the book in question. Is there a rule of thumb. I have seen pedigree get 25% to 50% more on lower price books in the one hundred to two hundred books range. On big books, I would expect maybe 10 to 20%, eg. one to two thousand dollar books.
There is absolutely NO formula as to a set percentage.

On the flipside, there's certain pedigrees that I tend to avoid as well, or at least consider case by case. Usually because of crappy page quality (i.e. Savannahs, Bethlehem, etc.). I tend to gravitate towards White and Rocky Mountains mainly because they're known for great PQ.

All things being equal though, if I can find an equivalent book in the same condition and PQ, I wouldn't pay the premium for a pedigree tag.