• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Interested??

50 posts in this topic

I'm not that familiar with the behind the scenes on raffle prizes but it seems like the expectation would be more money from each entry would be going to charity than to pay for the prizes (shrug)

I didn't understand how the other deal was being done until just now. Boardies spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 bucks and only 400 is going to charity. The listing does say "profits" would go to charity, but there was no explanation of what that meant until later. Sketchy.

Sketchy??

Buying a big collection like I did, I dont know the exact number for each book. I figure I paid just over $10 a book for these low grade books. Probably around $1700 for the lots. (158 books) Plus the bonus books. The total brought in was $2260. My donation is the work involved in doing the auction, collecting the funds, shipping the books then sending the money in.

Far from Sketchy

Whatever you say, Spider-Dan.

WOW - Post a link to the last Charity thread YOU ran. I looked back through a few pages of your 28K posts and couldnt find anything (shrug)

He's donated books or cash to almost every single charity or "help a boardie" that I can remember. In his case he donated 100% of cash from the sale of his books (not the profit) so that's probably not a stance to take with him.

His concern is that a "donation thread" is potentially a means by which a seller can get guide for his books and donate the overage which is less charitable than someone donating everything above cost or just everything.

That's where the organization and disclosure that I was talking about comes in. We've had boardies on this forum start elaborate "charity donation" threads, for example to help "kids" by getting "comics for" them, and it was discovered later that there was no way of knowing what was going to the kids and what was being kept and what was being sold and where the cash went.

So people tend to be extremely careful when solicitations are being made on behalf of any charity to ensure that some high level of disclosure is made regarding where all monies go.

I don't think anyone has any problem with you getting your cost back given the size and scope of the donations made, they just need to know a lot more details. That is not because of anything you've done, it is because of what others who came before have attempted to do.

I'm not that familiar with the behind the scenes on raffle prizes but it seems like the expectation would be more money from each entry would be going to charity than to pay for the prizes (shrug)

I didn't understand how the other deal was being done until just now. Boardies spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 bucks and only 400 is going to charity. The listing does say "profits" would go to charity, but there was no explanation of what that meant until later. Sketchy.

Sketchy??

Buying a big collection like I did, I dont know the exact number for each book. I figure I paid just over $10 a book for these low grade books. Probably around $1700 for the lots. (158 books) Plus the bonus books. The total brought in was $2260. My donation is the work involved in doing the auction, collecting the funds, shipping the books then sending the money in.

Far from Sketchy

WOW - Post a link to the last Charity thread YOU ran. I looked back through a few pages of your 28K posts and couldnt find anything (shrug)

Sean has donated plenty. (thumbs u

Im not saying Sean HASN'T donated. Weve all made donations.

Taking the initiative to start one is a little different then just sending a donation

I don't know the OP, and I'm sure his intentions are all the best, but I agree there needs to be more disclosure.

It seems like a very small amount going to charity compared to the overall sale price. Using book value is very shady, and means the guy running it is most likely taking a little themselves.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

He's donated books or cash to almost every single charity or "help a boardie" that I can remember. In his case he donated 100% of cash from the sale of his books (not the profit) so that's probably not a stance to take with him.

His concern is that a "donation thread" is potentially a means by which a seller can get guide for his books and donate the overage which is less charitable than someone donating everything above cost or just everything.

That's where the organization and disclosure that I was talking about comes in. We've had boardies on this forum start elaborate "charity donation" threads, for example to help "kids" by getting "comics for" them, and it was discovered later that there was no way of knowing what was going to the kids and what was being kept and what was being sold and where the cash went.

So people tend to be extremely careful when solicitations are being made on behalf of any charity to ensure that some high level of disclosure is made regarding where all monies go.

I don't think anyone has any problem with you getting your cost back given the size and scope of the donations made, they just need to know a lot more details. Not because of anything you've done, but because of what others who came before have attempted to do.

+1. Said so much better than I.

I think it's cool that you are donating some to charity, but it just seems more clear if you sell the stuff and donate a portion of the profits instead of saying its a charity raffle because my perception is that more money is going to charity than not and this seems to not be that. I'm not being accusatory, just commenting based on your solicitation for feedback.

If you wanted to do a raffle it makes more sense to do lower cost tickets and maybe raise more due to higher participation.

It seems wierd to ask for that much money from people who won't get a book unless they win and then you are still getting paid full guide no matter what. I guess some people might be more into gambling than I am though.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

Sean has donated plenty. (thumbs u

Im not saying Sean HASN'T donated. Weve all made donations.

Taking the initiative to start one is a little different then just sending a donation

I will spare you the details of my thoughts.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

I don't think anyone has any problem with you getting your cost back given the size and scope of the donations made, they just need to know a lot more details. Not because of anything you've done, but because of what others who came before have attempted to do.

My very 1st post here on the Boards was a 100% donation from a few slabbed Spideys I sold. Ive actually donated to alot of hardships on here. My problem is calling me "Sketchy". Sean never sent a PM asking what the deal was. Never posted any questions IN the thread. I dont believe he made any bids at all, so I dont appreciate the accusation

I understand where some Boardies might want all the exact details on what things cost, whats the profit... etc. My mistake was assuming my reputation here would be good enough to know Im an honest person.

In this case, like I stated earlier, I dont have a book by book cost for this collection. The only numbers I have to go by are the OSPG numbers.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

I don't get this. Sounds like you paid 2,260 for over 158 books and your raffling 3 for 1500 with $300 going to charity? I am sure I am reading this wrong.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

My very 1st post here on the Boards was a 100% donation from a few slabbed Spideys I sold. Ive actually donated to alot of hardships on here. My problem is calling me "Sketchy". Sean never sent a PM asking what the deal was. Never posted any questions IN the thread. I dont believe he made any bids at all, so I dont appreciate the accusation

I understand where some Boardies might want all the exact details on what things cost, whats the profit... etc. My mistake was assuming my reputation here would be good enough to know Im an honest person.

In this case, like I stated earlier, I dont have a book by book cost for this collection. The only numbers I have to go by are the OSPG numbers.

Go back and check your thread, chief.

Sketchy??

Far from Sketchy

Go back and check your thread, chief.

Chief apologizes to you - I was wrong :foryou:

Maybe it's best just to sell the books and then donate whatever you are comfortable with once you can do a full accounting. If you don't really know what you need to make how do you know what you can donate?

I just threw a few nice books together, looked at the OS to get a rough value, then figured what the potential profit would be.

I guess it was a bad idea

Well there's an easy way to remedy that lack of breakdown.

Did you pay full OSPG guide for the collection?

If you didn't pay full OSPG guide for the collection then all you have to do is take the list of the books you bought, add up the full guide value, divide the price you actually paid by that guide value, and you have your cost per book as it relates to full guide price.

If you paid $10,000 for a collection that's $15,000 in guide you paid 2/3ds of guide for each book. Pretty easy that way.

Dan ran a very above board ASM #129 auction last year.

Everything was on the level and I had no concerns about my entry ticket going to charity.

To keep it simple Dan,maybe just offer up the FF 48, have tickets at $10 each and just clearly state what you are owed at the beginning.

Lets not have a Friday thread for a good cause eh guys?