• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Collection - and my attitudes, intentions, and thoughts that build it.

22 posts in this topic

What goes into narrowing and expanding a collection all at the same time.

First journal entry:

So I have way too many books - both CGC & raw. I have unloaded a good amount of books over the past 3 months and have acquired some really nice books over that same time period. I have also come to realize THE books I really want in my personal collection. Now I am in the process of fine-tuning that list and sticking with it. Any pointers on anything to do with this are more than welcome. Also, I will be inventorying my collection here and books that I would like to add to the individual collections below (not yet acquired). I enjoy the research and chase, but there may come a time where I ask you all for help in finding issues (e.g., Black Panther appearances that I have not identified).

My collection(s):

X-Men #1-66, 94-141, Variant covers thereafter

Significant Black Panther Appearances: FF #52, 53; Avengers #52, 62, 73, 74, 78, & 87 (list to grow)

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon): TEC (and other early) issues featuring her first appearances and her solo stories

30c Variants - I started collecting, heavily that is, with modern variants. Lost interest with many of those. I have, however, started to really enjoy the thrill of tracking these down.

Jungle Comics - I'm collecting this set raw (for some reason). The journey that took me here is rather odd. I started buying GFT books, fell in love with the art of Dave Stevens and similar artists, and then found my way to Jungle Comics. Love the vivid colors, the action depicted, and the GGA style that that era is known for, in part.

Take care and thanks for reading.

Until next time,

Andy-

See more journals by AndyLeClair

Hi Andy, nice to read your thoughts about your favorite titles and what you decided to focus on.

Being a huge fan of the Black Panther I guess if you already have the original "Panther’s Rage" run in Jungle action. I have FF #52, not so great but at least I already had it before this silly speculation rush. I must find a better #53 anyway.

Hey, those MUST be read, so no slabs! :D

Count on me to spot Black Panther appearances. I start with Marvel Two-In-One #40 and #41 (#41 features Brother Voodoo but it is a single storyline).

Hey Andy,

I think you're doing quite well...

You have clear and defined collecting goals and you're reaching out to the community for feedback, support and the such... and it appears you're doing all the right things that comes with years of knowledge and experience as a hobbyist.

Keep doing what you're doing... and remember it takes time and patience in achieving goals... but that's the beauty of it.

Also keep in mind... we all have a habit of changing goals... so flexibility goes along way. One day you wake-up and suddenly everything you wanted goes on the back-burner... why? Who knows... lots of reasons!

I wish you the best of luck achieving your collecting goals and i look forward to reading more journals about the things you love.

Happy collecting!

SW3D

Glad you decided to write a journal, and looking forward to reading more. I like your collecting goals and will have to keep an eye out for Black Panther appearances now. Likewise, if you see any X-men appearances from the Silver and Bronze Age that I don't already have please let me know! Beautiful collection of 9.0+ Silver Age X-men you have by the way.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to slowing down and enjoying the hobby. Sometimes I get carried away with acquiring that next issue...

It's funny you should mention that because I was thinking the same thing...taking time to enjoy what we have. One that I have framed and admire quite a bit is my Marvel Team-up #4 in 9.6 with white pages. That is such a tough issue to find in high grade because of the black cover so I really appreciate that one. What issue do you appreciate the most in your collection? This is an open question for anyone else as we'll.

sig.jpg

That's a tough question Surfer... very tough!

I love them all... otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

But if I had to chose, based on a criteria of grade, market scarcity, and that something special which touches my soul it has to be my San Diego Comics Con 9.8 signed by Mike Mignola, Art Adams, and Geoff Darrow. This issue is special since it is the very first appearance of Hellboy predating Next Men 21 and it has a very limited print run of 1500... and it comes from the Grand Daddy of all comic cons: San Diego Comic Con. What's not to love?

SW3D

That's a tough question Surfer... very tough!

I love them all... otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

But if I had to chose, based on a criteria of grade, market scarcity, and that something special which touches my soul it has to be my San Diego Comics Con 9.8 signed by Mike Mignola, Art Adams, and Geoff Darrow. This issue is special since it is the very first appearance of Hellboy predating Next Men 21 and it has a very limited print run of 1500... and it comes from the Grand Daddy of all comic cons: San Diego Comic Con. What's not to love?

SW3D

SDCC comics #2's print run is only 1500? I remember when they were handing them out like comic con swag in 93, people were bending,rolling them up and tossing them in the trash.Little did they know......Hellboy! ;)

Yep... according to a Wikipedia article SDCC #2 has a print run of 1,500.

And if what you say is true, then it goes without saying the surviving population in high grade will be even rarer.

That's one rare comic! Lucky me.

SW3D

It's funny you should mention that because I was thinking the same thing...taking time to enjoy what we have. One that I have framed and admire quite a bit is my Marvel Team-up #4 in 9.6 with white pages. That is such a tough issue to find in high grade because of the black cover so I really appreciate that one. What issue do you appreciate the most in your collection? This is an open question for anyone else as we'll.]

Yes, collecting, especially for those who collect entire runs in CGC, risks to become an accumulation of books with the eye on the next goal alone.

The story you mention is among my favorites, as the first four Morbius appearances read more or less as a single storyline. The #4 is also tough to find with white cover paper. I collect raw and it took me a little to find a nice #3 as well. I love both books, and the art of Gil Kane in #4 is awesome, the action involving the X-Men and Spidey which are misinterpreting each other's intentions is great. :)

Among the issues I appreciate most in my collection there is Fantastic Four #63-67, Doctor Strange #183, Sub-Mariner #22 and Hulk #126, but I don’t have scans at hand. Among the few Golden Age I have, they are surely those:

DaredevilComicsNo_006.jpg

Hit_16_50.jpg

Andy,

I have always had problems on what CGC books to collect other than what I enjoyed as a youth. I picked up books because I thought it would be cool to have, but since lost the desire and the need for them. These I have either sold or tried to sell on eBay.Your goals as solid as they are could change. Until they do change continue on your course.

Recently I have been picking up an odd quirk, and I hesitate mentioning it until I actually decided I want to collect those. Good luck in your endeavors and I hope to read more of what you acquire.

As for Vaillant...beautiful Daredevil. I remember first seeing a cover of the golden age Daredevil and thinking that's not Daredevil. I have yet to purchase a golden age book and a book from that series, any issue, is on the list.

Good luck on your focus Andy. I have been there and done that as far as thinning the heard and focus my collection to what I really want for the long run. There are so many I would love to keep but at some points I decided having so many books/slabs in boxes/shelves/containers that I rarely open to see or enjoy...it is time to let them go.

These days, I have 3000 books/slabs and that is so much more fun to peruse thru them on the daily basis instead of 13k books and 800 slabs. Back in those days, I was more busy in finding places to put the boxes than what is in them. Now I spent my time organizing them, taking pics and videos for my journals and actually enjoy reading many of them again. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the hobby. Finding a balance that can sustain the love/enjoyment over the long run is what I felt I achieved with my thinning and refocus.

Often when a collector left the hobby for a few years/decades, return to it at the start is a fury of buying...I think we can all relate to that. It is fun and addicting to see boxes arriving on the weekly basis with goodies. For me the realization that I went too far came when boxes that arrived didn't bring that much excitement anymore. No longer do I opened the box, inspected the slabs/books and spent a few minutes flipping thru them, but instead I just opened and shoved the books or slabs in some other boxes to get them out of the way. I started to enter data in the registry and quickly after that, I concluded that for me to enjoy this hobby for the next 20 years or more, I need to find a balance and pace myself.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to slowing down and enjoying the hobby. Sometimes I get carried away with acquiring that next issue...

What issue do you appreciate the most in your collection? This is an open question for anyone else as we'll.

Great question! I step away from this thread for a day and look what happens - I'm glad there has been as much open dialogue as there has been. Hopefully, we can keep it going.

As far as the issue I appreciate most, it would have to be a sentimental book. As the saying goes: time heals all. I can truly say that time at least mends open wounds (more or less). The book I appreciate most is also a rather tough book to track down, well at least it is not as common to see as some of the other books in the run.

My most cherished book is Journey into Mystery #93 (pictured below raw - CGC 7.0).

The Story:

I used to collect and also play Heroclix. Well, long story short... my mother would keep a limited edition Heroclix, Dr. Chen Li (Radioactive Mane), with her when she went in for her treatment. My mother died from colon cancer, which metastasized to much of her body - ultimately into her brain - in October of 2010 (27th to be exact). After that date, comic books became an obsession, the thing that occupied my mind. Even before her passing, I really wanted that issue (JIM #93). At the time a ~ $170 book was a BIG book to me (and still is even though I have far exceeded that amount). My copy, purchased from New England Collectible's eBay store, has beautiful and vibrant colors and an accumulation of smaller defects (as opposed to the major, glaring defect). I absolutely love it! I have been meaning to tell that story for some time; thank you for bringing it out.

JIM93_FrontCover.jpg

Everyone has their own way of enjoying the hobby. Finding a balance that can sustain the love/enjoyment over the long run is what I felt I achieved with my thinning and refocus.

For me the realization that I went too far came when boxes that arrived didn't bring that much excitement anymore. No longer do I opened the box, inspected the slabs/books and spent a few minutes flipping thru them, but instead I just opened and shoved the books or slabs in some other boxes to get them out of the way.

These comments are my thoughts put on words. Great advice - I look forward to getting rid of the books that are just in my way to enjoying my collection.

Andy, that’s great to hear personal stories! :)

But there is a thing I don’t understand: I have had difficulties in guessing your age, and from your anecdote I seem to get you were remembering the Heroclix toys as an adult when your mother became ill, right?

Sometimes stories we have loved became so connected with the most important people in our lives, and that’s great.

I also understand your concerns about spending money on single issues, I am the same, although I guess the X-Men slabs are pretty costly, at least in grade.

As for Vaillant...beautiful Daredevil. I remember first ones seeing a cover of the golden age Daredevil and thinking that's not Daredevil. I have yet to purchase a golden age book and a book from that series, any issue, is on the list.

To get to know the character (and his main author, Biro) go for some issues in the 30-50 range. Unexpensive (except #31, which I think has the death of the Claw, thus a "key" :facepalm: ), although the covers aren’t spectacular as the first, they offer highly original stories, which also give a glimpse on how comics were done and perceived in the Golden Age.

I’d suggest #47 where Daredevil gets involved in a panel to give suggestions on how to prevent juvenile deliquency. Awesome! :D

I am 27 (1985). Heroclix is a funny story - very shortly, I went from playing 1AA college ball to playing with 2" miniatures for the time being. Was rather board when I didn't have that obligation. That time rekindled my passion for comics, oddly. That was in 2005. By 2010, we just collected them.

Gosh, sometimes online acquaintances are really fascinating before you get to know the persons better! I would have deemed you at least my same age (1969), take this as a compliment, it means you are a mature person! :)

I don’t understand what you mean by saying "Was rather board when I didn't have that obligation." I assume your mom brought the figure in the hospital as a keepsake to cherish. I’m really sorry for your loss, it must have been tough but you are a bright person and I’m sure this will make you recognize and treasure more what’s valuable in the comics you love most. (thumbs u

I’ve never been a Thor reader but I do have a low grade #93, it‘s been one of the issues I wished to have as I had the opportunity to acquire very few early JiMs here in Italy, years ago. I have to read the story, it also fits in my comics-related-to-history-research at large as it features a cold war theme. :)

I do love, however, a storyline which I read partly as a kid. It’s Thor #242-245.

TH160.JPG

As a kid I found the italian Thor #243 in a flea marked set up by other kids in my cousin’s yard. It was episode three, titled "Turmoil in the Time-Stream". In italian it was "Le Legioni del Tempo impazzito", a very strong and "literary" adaptation as it means "The Legions of Time Gone Mad". The following issue was announced and was titled "La Fine del Mondo!" (original: "This Is the Way the World Ends!").

I was never able to see how the world ended, until I was able to pick up the last issue in english as an adult. Awesome story, and Wolfman at his best, there is something genuinely mystical about this story. Current authors would never be able to write such a story.