• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Layman tweets that Chew Showtime series dead

64 posts in this topic

i've been wrong before but #1 in 9.8 is a $50 book in my lifetime

It'll be a $200 book by March

I'll take that bet. ;)

Gotta love an optimist.

So the series is still ongoing and falls flat because the TV show may not happen? Seems more like that prediction is the pessimist.

Some of the people calling for Chew to be under $200 in 9.8 haven't been around long enough to remeber that Chew was a $200 book a month or two after release, long before there was any TV speculation. The book has a miniscule print run and a loyal fanbase.

Some of the people calling for Chew to be under $200 in 9.8 haven't been around long enough to remeber that Chew was a $200 book a month or two after release, long before there was any TV speculation. The book has a miniscule print run and a loyal fanbase.

This book won't fall that hard. And the speculators betting on the TV show deserve this bubble pop if they actually thought the book was going to the air. It's a great comic as is. Why does it need anything else?

:applause:

But I really wanted to pick up a Chew #1 in 9.8 for $50. :(

i've been wrong before but #1 in 9.8 is a $50 book in my lifetime

(thumbs u

Well since you still have a long time to go you may be right. hm

i'm old.

How old is old?

i've been around long enough to remember Watchmen #1 9.8 was a $1,000 book before it became a $100 comic book. There are 290 Watchmen #1's in 9.8. There are 340 (and counting) Chew #1's in 9.8 or better. I don't care what the print run is, 75% of the submissions are 9.8 or higher. When this series and show (if there is one) ends, this thing will be down 90% from it's high (currently $800). Oh, and Chew #1 can't carry Watchmen #1's jock.

But I really wanted to pick up a Chew #1 in 9.8 for $50. :(

You guys aren't counting the failure factor with this property though. This is somewhat scandalous for "a guaranteed to screen" book to under-achieve. Locke & Key stayed a little afloat, before sinking as well when the FOX deal went bad. My advice to speculators is don't count your chickens either. Locke & Key was pretty low in the wantz department in 2009, after the Disney (Dimension) deal crumbled. I still collected it through that dark time ($5 9.8 slabs) and saw it somewhat explode with the FOX deal. Collectors should be happy with what they read and not worry about minor speed bumps like this, unless the creator is a ...

But luckily, John Layman is one cool dude.

My 2c

I have not called for chew to be under $200, but people chasing a book with a small print run don't need to do it because of the TV deal. One can be trying to buy a book, because its quality, and has a small print, and be a fan, AND still be a speculator.

The question is, given that Chew has seen it's top (pending someone else picking it up, but there are so many other books trying to get picked up, i dont see it happening), who are the real fans and who are the speculators.

Speculators will be leaving the book, which means without question there will be a dip. (Already have seen Chew in two B/S/T threads since this got announced). How far will the dip go... we shall see.

I have had Chew as a "Sell" rating since last spring. If the dip goes far enough, maybe I'll switch to a Hold or a Buy. That's completely separate from being a collector and wanting the series. I collect Fatale, and it isn't for flipping or speculation lol. If I was a Chew collector priced out of the market, I'd be pretty stoked to upgrade/complete my collection.

I'd also wait until about April to start buying, if there is going to be a flood, it should be in full deluge by then.

i've been around long enough to remember Watchmen #1 9.8 was a $1,000 book before it became a $100 comic book. There are 290 Watchmen #1's in 9.8. There are 340 (and counting) Chew #1's in 9.8 or better. I don't care what the print run is, 75% of the submissions are 9.8 or higher. When this series and show (if there is one) ends, this thing will be down 90% from it's high (currently $800). Oh, and Chew #1 can't carry Watchmen #1's jock.

Overall print run is much more important than the 9.8 percentage. Of course there are a ton of 9.8s - it's a modern book that was collectible close to its release date.

Watchmen WAS a condition rarity until the general public discovered pressing. Same as Sandman 1, Harbinger 1 etc.

Chew without a tv series is still a critically acclaimed Image #1 with a 5k print run. I do agree that it'll come down when the series ends but 3 years from now is crystal ball territory in this market.

I have not called for chew to be under $200, but people chasing a book with a small print run don't need to do it because of the TV deal. One can be trying to buy a book, because its quality, and has a small print, and be a fan, AND still be a speculator.

The question is, given that Chew has seen it's top (pending someone else picking it up, but there are so many other books trying to get picked up, i dont see it happening), who are the real fans and who are the speculators.

Speculators will be leaving the book, which means without question there will be a dip. (Already have seen Chew in two B/S/T threads since this got announced). How far will the dip go... we shall see.

I have had Chew as a "Sell" rating since last spring. If the dip goes far enough, maybe I'll switch to a Hold or a Buy. That's completely separate from being a collector and wanting the series. I collect Fatale, and it isn't for flipping or speculation lol. If I was a Chew collector priced out of the market, I'd be pretty stoked to upgrade/complete my collection.

I'd also wait until about April to start buying, if there is going to be a flood, it should be in full deluge by then.

This is pretty reasonable analysis. It just annoys me when people get all apocalyptic about a title crashing and burning when it's probably going to take a 20% hit at worst. For the record I sold my chews last year so I don't have a horse in this race.