• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The real reason the power went out @ Superbowl.

78 posts in this topic

Yes, all the fanboys bring out their personal tinfoil hat photos as that's a much better reason for the refs to suddenly go blind during instant replays.

Did you even watch the GB - Giants game last year? The commentators were all complaining about it and wondering what was up.

And why do all the critical calls go *against* the team that is in the lead? Anyone remember the Tuck Rule? That ensured overtime, as the Pats were behind, yet was not enforced on Peyton Manning this year (in almost a picture-perfect duplicate of Brady), as his Bronco's were in the lead.

I don't think there is any big conspiracy to pick winners, only that refs are being told to "keep it close" if they can do possibly do it. Billions of dollars at stake can make people do strange things.

I am still PO'd about the NBA fixing games against my Pacers in the mid-90's. Larry Johnsons and his 4 point play can still suck my :censored:

But the NFL is not fixing games, they are only artificially extending them through refs calls - they don't care who wins, only that we stay glued to our seats til the very end.

I can't believe you're accusing the NFL of collusion to influence the outcome of a game. What do you think this is? Euro soccer?

Seriously, this is conspiracy theory paranoia at its finest.

I am still PO'd about the NBA fixing games against my Pacers in the mid-90's. Larry Johnsons and his 4 point play can still suck my :censored:

But the NFL is not fixing games, they are only artificially extending them through refs calls - they don't care who wins, only that we stay glued to our seats til the very end.

So do they meet with the refs beforehand and trust they'll get it right? Or do they call down what's need via headset?

I'm wondering why the refs wouldn't use this knowledge as a bargaining chip in labor negotiations.

I can't believe you're accusing the NFL of collusion to influence the outcome of a game. What do you think this is? Euro soccer?

No, like I said the NFL doesn't care who wins or loses, just that they "keep it close" to ensure billions of dollars of TV revenue.

It's either that, or this is all a massive coincidence and the refs doing instant replay during the last 5 minutes of playoff games are required to be blind.

I'm wondering why the refs wouldn't use this knowledge as a bargaining chip in labor negotiations.

Who said they didn't? They made some comments regarding their non-disclosure agreement (along with many other contract items) possibly not being enforceable if their association dissolved and not long after that they had a new contract. lol

It was definitely a veiled threat to the NFL, regardless of how you view what goes on in playoff games. They could have been talking about an of the NFL secrets.

You didn't answer. Do they trust the refs to enact their directives or does the NFL take an active role in directing the outcome of the game? Like all conspiracy theories, I'm fascinated by the silence of all the participants.

Like all conspiracy theories, I'm fascinated by the silence of all the participants.

Just wait a few more decades for the refs to get old and senile, and then they'll feel more confident in breaking the NDAs than they do today.

It cannot all be a massive coincidence - that would defy any and all logic and I can't believe anyone would back those odds. Something fishy is definitely going on, whether it's what I say or not.

Do you really believe it's just a massive coincidence and that the NFL is 100% altruistic and would never ever do anything below-baord, not even the slightest transgression, to rake in those billions of TV ad dollars?

Why does it seem like outlandish , unbelievable circumstances breed outlandish, unbelievable explanations?

The psychology of conspiracy theory would be quite fascinating, I imagine.

Or it would be if the government hadn't just erased my brain.

err, what were we talking about again?

JC I think you are a cool dude,but do you really believe that carp. :eyeroll:

I believe that money talks and money walks and that something is definitely fishy in the NFL.

My theory is just a guess, but I do laugh at people who think it's all one massive coincidence and that the NFL would never break even the smallest ethical rule to get at billions and billions of revenue.

Big corporations scam all the time, 24/7, so why is the NFL so different?

I believe the NBA did not want a little podunk market team in the Finals when they could have NY.

Of course not, why would they? Professional sports is in the business of making money, just like any other business.

The simplest solution is probably the correct one.

Even though the NFL is saying it had nothing to do with the outage, Beyonce's halftime show was probably getting broken down and getting disconnected from the grid behind the scenes when there was a power surge.

(NOTE: They say that the Halftime show was run on generators..)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/04/super-bowl-superdome-blackout-beyonce/1890419/

The Feeder line situation sounds similar to the Candlestick Park power outage earlier this season as well.

So by your logic, the refs in the Green Bay - NY Giants game were legally blind, as the replays clearly showed him fumbling several feet from the ground.

There is no way you can excuse your way out of some of these 'late game calls" that artificially extended games. The head of NFL officiating came on TV and openly apologized for that one, while dodging questions on how it could be missed.

Even though the NFL is saying it had nothing to do with the outage, Beyonce's halftime show was probably getting broken down and getting disconnected from the grid behind the scenes when there was a power surge.

So... now you're saying the NFL is lying?

"Beyonce's high-powered halftime show did not cause the 33-minute power outage in the third quarter of Sunday's Super Bowl, NFL and Superdome officials said Monday morning."