• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image #1's speculation is different from 90's The Reign of Superman......

77 posts in this topic

How much longer do you guys realistically see WD going?

hopefully not much longer- I mean, how long can he drag this story out? Nothing new ever happens. I am amazed at the fervor over this book.

Saga I at least understand, because it is really great.

Thanks to the overwhelming popularity of the TV show, there are now young fans of the property. They will grow into adults who will have nostalgia for anything WD. That bodes well for the longevity of the title, well after the show ends and even if the comic ends.

This is what separates WD from other Image books (and most other comics)-- a meaningful fan base that's under the age of 20.

The main difference I see is that characters/stories that continue past their creator's departure have long term value (eg; all the Marvel and DC hero stuff) whereas finite series that end (eg; Sandman, Preacher) lose value when the story ends. With that as a guide, I don't see any of these, including Saga, holding long term value.

I disagree, somewhat. Many of these titles still sell well in TPB format and thus, still maintain relevance, even if they're no longer ongoing. Check out any top 100 TPB/GN lists, and you'll still find the best of the Vertigo library, for example. SCOTT PILGRIM still sells, for another example. The best the medium has to offer will always be recognized, so long as people still care about comics.

What also helps these titles is that the creators knew when to end them. They were better off being finite series, rather than limping along to an inevitable cancellation.

Thanks to the overwhelming popularity of the TV show, there are now young fans of the property. They will grow into adults who will have nostalgia for anything WD. That bodes well for the longevity of the title, well after the show ends and even if the comic ends.

This is what separates WD from other Image books (and most other comics)-- a meaningful fan base that's under the age of 20.

couldn't have said that any better. If you look at comcasts walking dead superbowl commercials those were awesome and included young teenagers. Links are on bleeding cools website. Heck my son is only 3 and probably shouldn't be addicted to the two walking dead video games on my ipad like he is! He does a great walker impression already too!

Nexus, I am speaking strictly on comic book values, not popularity. Remember when Sandman and Preacher were "hot"? Prices were nuts.

I have Preacher 1-42. Almost traded them to a fellow board member, just didn't work out.

Image may be my favorite publisher going. But I also suspect that very few of their titles outside of WD will still be relevant 20 years from now.

That is my thoughts as well.

WD and if they can pull off Saga so far I see long-term potential.

All the other are still very much suspect.

I have no doubt Invincible will be around for the long hall. 2c

Invincible has already made it 100 issues. It's a great book with a loyal following. Plus there have been several spin off series based on the supporting characters in the book.

However, other than WD & Invincible I don't think the other characters will still be around 20 years from now. Not that the books are bad. It's not that at all. In fact I really like their stuff. It's more that they seem to be the company that constantly puts out new stuff. New ideas. New concepts. They are the place to go for creators to try new things. Their business model doesn't seem to be "lets be the next Marvel and create characters to last 50 years." Characters that old lose something. I mean we all know Spider-man is going to win. No one believed Doc Ock really won last month, no matter how hard Marvel tried to convince us.

I think Image the company will remain strong for a long time, but they will constantly be putting out stories with endings and creators will then move on to new stories.

I can't imagine saga wont be... If they don't make it into something other than a comic, I'd be amazed - even I'd they don't, it's the most original book out there. If it falls flat, I'd be so shocked (that said, I love me some key silvers)

I can't imagine saga wont be... If they don't make it into something other than a comic, I'd be amazed

Doesn't scream movie to me, and would be too expensive as a TV series....

You don't think this screams movie? TV show, no way. But no movie? Not speculating, but i'd rather see a Saga movie than a ToT TV show anyday. And I'm totally deep investment-wise into ToT.

As I posted in another thread, I believe the closest parallel to the Image of today would be the independents of the '80s. Not the junky fly-by-night B/W books that tried to capitalize on TMNT, but legit publishers with full lines of quality work by respected creators. Included would be:

First

Eclipse

Pacific

Comico

Capital

Dark Horse

Only Dark Horse is still around. And virtually none of those formerly "hot" creator-driven titles (MAGE, NEXUS, BADGER, AMERICAN FLAGG!, JON SABLE, et al) have any meaningful monetary value today.

Image may be my favorite publisher going. But I also suspect that very few of their titles outside of WD will still be relevant 20 years from now.

On another note, I worked at 20th Century Fox in the early '90s. At the time, they were big on comic book acquisitions. This was when WATCHMEN was to be directed by Terry Gilliam. Anyway, they made a deal with Dark Horse and obtained the rights to just about everything in the catalog (an early proposal had Bill Murray as Concrete). If that was today, I suppose every title that got optioned would be selling for ridiculous amounts on eBay. As it turned out, only two (that I remember, anyway) actually made it to the big screen: THE MASK and MYSTERY MEN. Does anyone care about MYSTERY MEN? So I am amused when I see all the excitement over MIND MGMT. Everyone thinks WALKING DEAD...how many think MYSTERY MEN? MM may be a great book (I haven't read it), but don't count on the inflated value holding for very long.

this post should be cut and pasted into every one of these 400 page threads of an Image book that has 6 issues published (w/ the exception of TWD, that's a phenomenon that isn't going away anytime soon)

It's a bit of both, in my opinion. Most of the titles you have listed are not just hype, but have great stories and/or art - and you missed out Manhattan Projects, which is both a quality read and a speculation hit at the moment too (first issue, anyway).

The thing is, for every one of those titles, Image are also pushing out some rubbish - most of which, thankfully, seems to be confined to mini-series.

For your other points - early indications are that Saga #1 RRP could overtake Walking Dead #1 in terms of importance and value - but that will depend on Saga maintaining its quality over the long term (I think it will). Saga will WAY outlast Thief of Thieves in any event - at least it should!

Two questions:

1) what are you playing devil's advocate in respect of?

2) what is a "first ballet"? :jokealert:

3) what is Sage?

Goes with pork.

Unlike Saga, which goes with tripe.

I can't imagine saga wont be... If they don't make it into something other than a comic, I'd be amazed - even I'd they don't, it's the most original book out there. If it falls flat, I'd be so shocked (that said, I love me some key silvers)

Sorry, but what's so original about Saga? It uses virtually every character type, plot and cliché found in science fiction/fantasy books from the last 70 years.