• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing Pens

61 posts in this topic

Got some 'white out' pens today and tested them out. They seem really awesome fr dark covers etc. I am going to bring a couple as well for remarks. Bought the 24 color sharpie pack too gonna try out some of the other colors.

Got some 'white out' pens today and tested them out. They seem really awesome fr dark covers etc. I am going to bring a couple as well for remarks. Bought the 24 color sharpie pack too gonna try out some of the other colors.

I'd love to see some results. If you'd like you could even do some side by side comparisons of the different colors on some junk books. That was how I found my favorite silver and I really want to try bronze now.

When we were in Michaels this morning they had stacks of coupons for a Presidents Day sale with 50% off a regular priced item. It'll help with some of those $5 markers you might want to try out if they weren't so pricey. I'll be picking some up to try.

Tested the colors... results were really nice on light covers I think colors work well. For dark cover you can not see most of these and a metallic silver or gold I think is best.

Made my wife sign this book with each color.

test_zpsaed13139.png

Love the different colors, thanks for sharing! :applause:

I'm planning to pick up some archival silver, gold, and bronze markers I saw yesterday when the 50% off coupon is in effect. They only came in a 3 pack for $12, which was a lot for just experimenting, but I can live with $6. Will post the results.

I picked up some of the archivally safe metallic markers today with the Michael's coupon, plus the gold version of the marker I showed on page 2. Will make some comparisons and post them later.

The 50% off Michaels sale is good today only, so if you wanted to pick up some pens you might think about hitting the store. You don't need a coupon, they have them in-store (I also got through the line twice by going to different people even though it is supposed to be one discount per person per day).

I picked up some of the archivally safe metallic markers today with the Michael's coupon, plus the gold version of the marker I showed on page 2. Will make some comparisons and post them later.

The 50% off Michaels sale is good today only, so if you wanted to pick up some pens you might think about hitting the store. You don't need a coupon, they have them in-store (I also got through the line twice by going to different people even though it is supposed to be one discount per person per day).

Shoot! I need to go to Michaels.

So here are my metallic markers. I got some of my favorites (Sakura Pen Touch) and I bought two archivally safe markers by Faber Castell. My photos on the top of page 2 of this thread are of the silver Pen Touch in action.

Pentouch.jpg

FaberCastell.jpg

I tested them on a bit of actual copper age comic cover (No-prize if you can ID the book). In each case the Pen Touch marker is on top and the archivally safe Faber is on the bottom. The archival silver isn't half bad, but the archival gold looks more yellow to me. Neither archival marker is as shiny as the Pen Touch pens.

PenTest.jpg

:news: The other issue is that the archival pens were able to be smeared by my fingertip several minutes after the tests (after I scanned them), while the Pen Touch pens were totally solid and would not smear.

You do need to watch for drippage from the Pen Touch pens, but if you're careful and have fresh ones that shouldn't be much of an issue. Also store them with the tip pointing up to keep the paint from pooling/leaking and then just test them out before you want to use them. I doubt these issues are different with any other paint marker.

I also tested one of the Recollections pens that Michaels also sells. The one I bought is silver. Nice opacity but the tip was thicker than either the Faber archivals or the Pen Touch pens. The Recollections silver also smears even after several minutes of drying.

I like the pen-touch ones. I have all the colors of Sharpie, I will likely get a gold and silver as well.

I think I will fall back on my fine tip sharpie paint pens.

sharpieassortment.jpg

They were used on the last signing and the results were good.

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the Pen Touch with the Sharpie paint markers. Sean's Swamp Thing book on page 1 does make a nice comparison between various Sharpie choices, and I am still keen to try out the bronze paint. Just wondering how metallic/shiny the bronze paint looks next to something like a Pen Touch that is quite shiny.

I think the other question you guys should be asking is how will these graphs look in 20+ years.

They might look great now but how will they look in the long run? I have been graphing 30+years and these are some of my observations

Black...fades and yellows over time

Gold...chips and dulls over time

Blue and silver should be good over time

Sharpies are the worst brand markers on the planet. They are inconsistant and streak alot.

I prefer Vis a Vis for blue and SRX for silver. Metallix has a good silver also.

Yes very good points. I guess we are not there yet but I wonder if being in a micro chamber has any preservation effects on the ink. I would imagine the browning / yellowing f sharpies is due to oxidation of the pigments in the atmosphere.

I do no know exactly what the deal is with cgc books but I smell something like when you crack a ping pong ball. I wonder if there is some inert gas exchange for the oxygen air in the chamber?

This thread reminded me of another book I had signed. I remember not being very happy with how hard it was to see the sig considering how much I paid for it. Here's a black cover I experimented on with the metalic sharpies. They dry really fast.

Scan-130224-0001_zpsf3d7b6a8.jpg

That is what I do with all of my pens prior to signings.

I see Sharpie has started to produce these quick drying metallic colors other than silver.

Do you guys like bronze at all? what is the feedback on that?

To me it looks kinda brown and it would really need a certain colored book to work correctly.