• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing Pens

61 posts in this topic

What color would work for the nowhere men orange cover? I'm leaning toward the silver since I don't have anything in white that I think will work well.

Not to make this too simple, but what about plain black sharpie on the orange cover? There are plenty of good open areas where it would show. Colored pens might overcomplicate things, but maybe that is just me.

what color sharpie would you guys suggest for an avengers annual #10 ?.. the book has such a wide variety of colors on it & almost no place good for a sig ...I think the only place would be the avengers logo up top but would need something that would stand out

what color sharpie would you guys suggest for an avengers annual #10 ?.. the book has such a wide variety of colors on it & almost no place good for a sig ...I think the only place would be the avengers logo up top but would need something that would stand out

I always liked Black in the logo area or in the reddish orange stripe in the middle with signature running top to bottom

Here is mine

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=6887&GSub=325

I always liked Black in the logo area or in the reddish orange stripe in the middle with signature running top to bottom

Here is mine

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=6887&GSub=325

I like Al's sig but not sure about Claremont (can't miss it)?

A lot of markers have been looked at, but I'm not sure we have settled on the ideal marker to use. Are we still OK with Sharpies or will they fade over time? Should we be looking for archival markers only? How about markers to sign other types of materials like leather bound covers? I have a Famous Firsts Leather Bound book and am considering getting the cover signed instead of the inside.

The best way to check would be to see if anyone has any old label SS that they got done themselves and know what type of marker was used. I bet Sharpies have been used more often than not. At least that way we can see what they look like a few years down the road. Even raws that were signed pre-CGC days would be good to check up on if we have known dates (or at least years) and markers.

I tested two archival markers and both smeared really badly. I wouldn't use an archival marker unless either I or someone here tested it and posted results. Michaels did accept a return on the two archival markers I tested, even though the packages were opened, after I explained the problem. So if you want to test a marker you may not want to keep that would be one place to get it.

Speaking strictly for myself, I would get a leather bound book signed on the inside. I always get graphic novels of any type signed on the inside, but that is my personal preference. But in a case where I had a book that was special to me and I didn't know the dynamics of ink/cover I would definitely go inside on the sig.

I like the pen-touch ones. I have all the colors of Sharpie, I will likely get a gold and silver as well.

I think I will fall back on my fine tip sharpie paint pens.

sharpieassortment.jpg

They were used on the last signing and the results were good.

I think i wound up using the same kind i used metalic bronze on mine it looked fantastic on all my books

Has anyone used these Pilot pens? I saw them at Hobby Lobby yesterday, and they are allegedly both archival and permanent. If nobody has tried them I may have to do a test.

In other pen news, you guys have convinced me to try some bronze Sharpies at my next opportunity. I picked up a 2-pack yesterday.

PilotPens.jpg

Bump.

Did anyone figure out what the best option is for say red or blue? Probably the Sharpies that Menace posted?

Looks about right. That's what I saw Capullo use to get red or blue on dark colors.

What about for sketching etc? I see a fair number of artists doing quick sketches (and even some shading on more detailed sketches) with Sharpies. But, of course, this isn't ideal for a sketch.

Paint pens don't seem too conducive to sketching. Does anyone have simple alternatives in black conducive for sketching?

Has anyone used these Pilot pens? I saw them at Hobby Lobby yesterday, and they are allegedly both archival and permanent. If nobody has tried them I may have to do a test.

In other pen news, you guys have convinced me to try some bronze Sharpies at my next opportunity. I picked up a 2-pack yesterday.

PilotPens.jpg

I got these pens today since they were on sale for $3.

They are more like paint pens than markers.

I tested the silver one and a silver Sharpie on a comic. (a free promo one)

Pros: Very vibrant metallic colors, they actually shine in the light. "Archival Safe"

Cons: You have to shake the pen to get it to work and then start it on a scrap piece of paper. It takes 30-60 seconds to dry whereas a Sharpie takes a couple seconds.

Image9_zps28913e49.jpg