• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on shipping a large sum of slabs at once

27 posts in this topic

slabsbox.jpg

I have had boxes of large quantities of slabs ( 20+) sent from Joeypost, Seanfingh, Cheetah & GACollectables, all sent to the UK in a similar manner, never even had so much as a crack

This is the way to ship them (thumbs u

A word of caution with CGC shipping boxes. First, you need to have some cushion inserted between the slabs, particularly if you are shipping the thicker GA cases. CGC uses thin cardboard to absorb shocks.

Second, if you are using a 'used' CGC shipping box, the cardboard support at the botom of the box often gets crushed down. You may need to open up the bottom and add some peanuts to get better cushion between the bottom of the slabs and the bottom of the box. You may need to do the same to the top once you put in the cardboard top.

Exactly. I take out the bottom platform, filled it with peanuts and then placed it back over the peanuts. Make sure you pack the sides and the corners tightly with bubble wrap and peanuts.

On top of the books I put a layer or two of bubblewrap. Then the cardboard platform (only updside down like a bowl) then add more peanuts to provide a skcok absorbing layer on the top of the box. One more thin piece of cardboard to cover the peanuts and I am done.

The slabs cannot have an play or movement. If they do use cardboard dividers to make the fit snug.

That's more or less how I do it too.

A few more things to add:

If packaging CGC books in stacks, CGC themselves don't stack more than (I think it's) 11 books in a small box horizontally because they can damage each other under their own weight.

The only thing I would add to Joey's shipping method (and mine) is that I try not to make it too tight. You want some give. Otherwise, when it's tight any and every impact that the box absorbs will transfer to the slabs in the interior.

Excellent info here. I have another question for Joey. If I am sending you over 20+ books for you to submit, how do you recommend packing them? I am not sure if my packing is affecting grades or not. That .2 diff is $$$$$.

Thanks!!!

Excellent info here. I have another question for Joey. If I am sending you over 20+ books for you to submit, how do you recommend packing them? I am not sure if my packing is affecting grades or not. That .2 diff is $$$$$.

Thanks!!!

Always double box. If you cannot make sure the box has at least 3-4 inches of space on all sides/top and bottom. Sandwich the books between 2 pieces of thick cardboard. Do not tape the books to the cardboard. If you want added protection place the books into an old CGC slab bag and then sandwhich it between the cardboard. I can't tell you how much work it is getting packing tape off of a comic bag. Then liberally wrap with bubble wrap, place in the box and add peanuts to fill in any air pockets.

Insure heavily.