• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on shipping a large sum of slabs at once

27 posts in this topic

Searched the boards but couldn't find anything - I'm guessing its been discussed before? Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords?

Anyway, does anyone have experience sending large lots of slabbed books? Say 40-50 books at once. I've received books from cgc in rather large boxes where they stand them up and they fit about 20 books or so.

Any best practice out there for shipping a big lot? I'm paranoid with shipping slabs to ensure they arrive safely. I don't want a mishap where a large lot is dropped and all slabs/books damaged.

Lots and lots and lot of bubblewrap. Seriously.

Just cradle the box with large bubble bubblewrap and use the smaller bubble stuff to go around each book one by one..then wrap those up in more bubblewrap. If you have the properly sized cardboard, you could insert a piece between each slab for extra protection.

The importance of a sturdy, over-sized box cannot be overlooked...also doesn't hurt to use reinforced shipping tape if the extra cost doesn't bother you.

KevinJ posted a pic of the double box shipping method that I used to ship 28 slabs to him in the UK. It is the same materials that CGC uses, but about 7 less slabs than a full double box. I was as nervous as could be until they got there safe. :eek:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4392079&fpart=2

KevinJ posted a pic of the double box shipping method that I used to ship 28 slabs to him in the UK. It is the same materials that CGC uses, but about 7 less slabs than a full double box. I was as nervous as could be until they got there safe. :eek:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4392079&fpart=2

Thanks Sean, for anyone clicking on that link, the pics are on page 7, that link takes you to page 2. Looks good. I was thinking of a method similar to that, but that many slabs together not separated makes me nervous. Good to know those made it safely across the pond. What shipping method was used?

I mailed 35 slabs in one box halfway around the world with no bubble wrap inbetween the books and it arrived safe and sound. I have done it the same way dozens of times and have not lost a book. As long as all the slabs are even and snug in the box with no chance of shifting you will be OK. I used a cgc box and packed the sides with peanuts and bubblewrap keeping the slabs snug in the middle.

I mailed 35 slabs in one box halfway around the world with no bubble wrap inbetween the books and it arrived safe and sound. I have done it the same way dozens of times and have not lost a book. As long as all the slabs are even and snug in the box with no chance of shifting you will be OK. I used a cgc box and packed the sides with peanuts and bubblewrap keeping the slabs snug in the middle.

Thanks Joey, kind of like this? I thought those boxes only held about 20 books, but yep, looks like 35. Seems crazy that those won't get damaged.

slabsbox.jpg

Exactly. I take out the bottom platform, filled it with peanuts and then placed it back over the peanuts. Make sure you pack the sides and the corners tightly with bubble wrap and peanuts.

On top of the books I put a layer or two of bubblewrap. Then the cardboard platform (only updside down like a bowl) then add more peanuts to provide a skcok absorbing layer on the top of the box. One more thin piece of cardboard to cover the peanuts and I am done.

The slabs cannot have an play or movement. If they do use cardboard dividers to make the fit snug.

Exactly. I take out the bottom platform, filled it with peanuts and then placed it back over the peanuts. Make sure you pack the sides and the corners tightly with bubble wrap and peanuts.

On top of the books I put a layer or two of bubblewrap. Then the cardboard platform (only updside down like a bowl) then add more peanuts to provide a skcok absorbing layer on the top of the box. One more thin piece of cardboard to cover the peanuts and I am done.

The slabs cannot have an play or movement. If they do use cardboard dividers to make the fit snug.

Thanks (thumbs u

The worst thing in the world is movement of the books during shipping. All the bubblewrap in the world won't matter if the books move. You need a soft outer layer, something keeping the books strongly and securely in place and that's it.

I'm always amazed at the people that pack the comics like a freaking puzzle or an elaborately wrapped gift.

I like how your link sent me to page 2 of your feedback thread, forcing me to sift through 3 pages of boardies giving you virtual head, before finally arriving at the picture in question.

#humblebrag

I like how your link sent me to page 2 of your feedback thread, forcing me to sift through 3 pages of boardies giving you virtual head, before finally arriving at the picture in question.

#humblebrag

I think the reason for that is because you frickin n00bs still have the default setting for number of posts on a page. My page two is page seven on the default setting. Climb into 2007, n00bs!

#humblebrag

I think the reason for that is because you frickin n00bs still have the default setting for number of posts on a page. My page two is page seven on the default setting. Climb into 2007, n00bs!

you just don't get it. You guys have totally proven my point period. A totally newbie gets this much respect, are you kidding me. How many views and replies does the newbie have now...totally freaked genuis, I should be given the title of champion newbie...

Thanks Joey, kind of like this? I thought those boxes only held about 20 books, but yep, looks like 35. Seems crazy that those won't get damaged.

slabsbox.jpg

Looks like a receipe for disaster. Should have cardboard spacers between each slab or at least every couple slabs and they should be taped tightly together so they can absorb shock and not rattle around. I'm in the process of doing something similar and I won't send them unless I can double box the slabs because all it takes is that box to be tossed in the back of a delivery truck, catch a sharp corner and cave in and half of your slabs are toast. For me the biggest challenge is finding two boxes that can compliment each other.

slabsbox.jpg

Looks like a receipe for disaster. Should have cardboard spacers between each slab or at least every couple slabs and they should be taped tightly together so they can absorb shock and not rattle around. I'm in the process of doing something similar and I won't send them unless I can double box the slabs because all it takes is that box to be tossed in the back of a delivery truck, catch a sharp corner and cave in and half of your slabs are toast. For me the biggest challenge is finding two boxes that can compliment each other.

Any box dropped hard enough or with enough force would result in damage to the contents. I have also seen books that were shipped double boxed with holes punched through them from some sharp object. All we can do it ship with added protection...the rest is really up to the carrier and how they handle the boxes. Thats what insurance is for.

That's more or less how I do it too.

slabsbox.jpg

I have had boxes of large quantities of slabs ( 20+) sent from Joeypost, Seanfingh, Cheetah & GACollectables, all sent to the UK in a similar manner, never even had so much as a crack

This is the way to ship them (thumbs u