• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCs and Bronze Market: The Greggy Report

95 posts in this topic

Now there are some covers that the consensus will agree that look cool, regardless of what your tastes might be. Greggy's article is based upon covers that he likes, not really covers that are well regarded. Great article though.

thumbsup2.gif Come-on guys, cut Greggy some slack....at least he made the effort to write an article.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

....and if it wasn't these, it was sure to be some syrupy romance covers..... 893whatthe.gifshocked.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

This is BS...what I like is cool, what everyone else likes sucks, end of story. makepoint.gif

Any questions? confused-smiley-013.gif

The one cover out of greggy's list that always has made me go confused.gif is the Dark Mansion 7 Kaluta.

2026_4_07.jpg

Art is always subjective, for sure. The first time I saw this cover I didn't really care for it, but it has grown on me over the years.

One thing though Greggy... I never looked at the people as being the guys "followers." I always thought it was like people struggling against the sands of time and the inevitable fate of death that awaits us all. confused-smiley-013.gif

the thing about the dark mansion cover to me is this:

Its an iconic image, similar to the classic golden age "idea" covers that put intangible ideas, such as death in this case, into concrete from. Larger than life and in a symbolic hourglass, the sand of time are running out on all of us. The 2 things that help this even more are the composition, which is quite novel, and the wonderful lime green and Magenta color scheme which makes it stand out and gives it an unearthly feel.

my 2 cents anyway....

Bah...it's my article and I wrote about what I liked. BTW...DC4 has factors other than the cover driving up its prices. tongue.gif

I agree with these things you say, but disagree with some of your choices!! sumo.gif

sorry.gif

Where's your list? cool.gif

Oh no...did you lose it again!?!? 893frustrated.gif

Nah....not that list. Your list of your favourite covers! 893blahblah.gif Hell....I only included Batman 227 because you wanted me to. It was a borderline call. Although others may like this cover, it doesn't excite me that much but it's a nice cover nonetheless. Regarding disagreements with the covers, it doesn't upset me at all. Everyone is not going to like every cover that I discussed nor do I like other covers that others feel are fantastic. Just want to spread the word that there are lots of nice DC covers out there to explore! flowerred.gif

Bah...it's my article and I wrote about what I liked. BTW...DC4 has factors other than the cover driving up its prices. tongue.gif

I agree with these things you say, but disagree with some of your choices!! sumo.gif

sorry.gif

Where's your list? cool.gif

Oh no...did you lose it again!?!? 893frustrated.gif

Nah....not that list. Your list of your favourite covers! 893blahblah.gif Hell....I only included Batman 227 because you wanted me to. It was a borderline call. Although others may like this cover, it doesn't excite me that much but it's a nice cover nonetheless. Regarding disagreements with the covers, it doesn't upset me at all. Everyone is not going to like every cover that I discussed nor do I like other covers that others feel are fantastic. Just want to spread the word that there are lots of nice DC covers out there to explore! flowerred.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You brought up the Bats cover in the 1st place!! However, you're correct in that the Bats 227 and WW 199 are the only two bronze covers that seem to bring a premium above and beyond the surrounding issues (except for books like Superman 233 and Batman 251 that have both exceptional covers and notable storylines or other "interior" attributes).

However, you're correct in that the Bats 227 and WW 199 are the only two bronze covers that seem to bring a premium above and beyond the surrounding issues (except for books like Superman 233 and Batman 251 that have both exceptional covers and notable storylines or other "interior" attributes).

confused.gifI thought there were MANY more than that confused-smiley-013.gif

However, you're correct in that the Bats 227 and WW 199 are the only two bronze covers that seem to bring a premium above and beyond the surrounding issues (except for books like Superman 233 and Batman 251 that have both exceptional covers and notable storylines or other "interior" attributes).

confused.gifI thought there were MANY more than that confused-smiley-013.gif

Such as?

Well lots of Adams covers for start like Tomahawk's, or HOM issues like 190, 205 or 236, or HOS 88, Batman 222, 237 (lets face people want that book because of the cover) various Adams Detectives COTU Adams issues, some Kaluta's, Wrightson's etc etc etc.... Even WW 200 brings a higher prices that 198 or 201. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well lots of Adams covers for start like Tomahawk's, or HOM issues like 190, 205 or 236, or HOS 88, Batman 222, 237 (lets face people want that book because of the cover) various Adams Detectives COTU Adams issues, some Kaluta's, Wrightson's etc etc etc.... Even WW 200 brings a higher prices that 198 or 201. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had to get Batman 237 because of the cover. Batman 222 also because of the Beatles take off. Thanks to the forums Batman 221 caught my eye. I wish I would've picked up a Batman 227 awhile back. And the very popular 244 just doesn't do much for me but after seeing Red Hooks rendition of the cover I know it got Batman excited. I love that Dark Mansion issue and if Greggy didn't go and drive up the prices by mentioning it I would consider getting a copy even though I don't collect anything like that. BTW Greggy no mention of 70's DC Romance books? 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I had to get Batman 237 because of the cover. Batman 222 also because of the Beatles take off. Thanks to the forums Batman 221 caught my eye. I wish I would've picked up a Batman 227 awhile back. And the very popular 244 just doesn't do much for me but after seeing Red Hooks rendition of the cover I know it got Batman excited. I love that Dark Mansion issue and if Greggy didn't go and drive up the prices by mentioning it I would consider getting a copy even though I don't collect anything like that. BTW Greggy no mention of 70's DC Romance books? 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! tongue.gif

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! tongue.gif

confused.gif

I doesn't really float my boat either, nor does the Phantom Stranger for that matter. And no mention of DC 100 pager #4?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great report, Greggy! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I think we're discussing apples and oranges...ALL Adams and Wrightson covers are certainly in demand, but some are in more demand ($$) than others based solely on the composition of the cover, not just the artist. Batman 222 wouldn't be in demand if that was Tom, , and Harry on the cover, and while Batman 237 has an incredible cover, it also has interior Adams and Wrightson art, and it's a giant (52-pager).

Just face it,... your blowing smoke!!!! People pay more because of the covers sumo.gifmakepoint.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue which covers are more killer-er!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifSell me a copy of any of those books I mentioned. Start with that Tomahawk 116 and we'll move along to the HOM's for the "surrounding issue" price. grin.gif

NFS! 893naughty-thumb.gif

But I do have the Oakland copy of HoM 190, and HoM 189 IS on my want list... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Grade??? shocked.gif Scan??

The Oakland label says NM+, but I say 9.2-9.4 (light wear to the spine tips, and a printing error resulting in a hairline, vertical ink loss line coming up from the bottom of the spine...noticable in scan).

hom190.jpg