• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do dealers do at conventions to quickly spot resto?

22 posts in this topic

and he kept rubbing the back of his hand up and down it! But this must be a big issue for dealers.

I imaging Harley was rubbing up the spine to see if he could feel any glue.

A covers spine with a glued staple area, or tear with feel very crunky, and stiff compared to the rest of the spine.

As far as detecting other resto in person? Depends on the era of book.

Typically most SA comics will just have slight, amateur CT. With it mostly being black, so either look for bleed through, or a difference in gloss.

Anything more should stand out like a sore thumb on a SA book if you look closely at an off angle under decent light.

GA books typically have more going on.

Glued/CT'ed staple areas. Supported, or taped centerfolds/spines.

Among other things.

Typically if you suspect a book has resto on it, look more closely..because there is usually more.

Trade secrets.

:baiting:

haha, very true, maybe I would sell you my Justice League 17 for a good price if you tell me the trade secrets on how dealers get books for good prices! My knowledge so far is:

Secret 1: be the guy with the cash on hand right there, they will probably just take a good cash offer!

Secret 2: pay full price for keys, sellers arent totally stupid!

Secret 3: but pay 10%-30% for the rest, this is where you make the money!

Anything else anyone? :baiting:

Trade secrets.

:baiting:

you mean the super super secret trade secrets?