• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

Not sure how we went from the greatest thing since sliced bread yesterday to a ruined book that has been destroyed by greed..... hey guess what? DON'T BUY THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is everyone saying it is only a good book if they limit the number of printings? So, when they hit, say 50,000 books of various printings and covers, suddenly it is no longer a good read? I don't get it.

It's not the speculation aspect annoying me, it's the collectibility aspect. I like to collect covers that stand out (the propaganda and blitzkrieg sketch covers), but all these convention/retailer blitzkrieg sketch editions have watered down the appeal, as they are not limited to one sketch per issue, and there are only two issues released.

Maybe I should approach Kieron Gillen who frequents my main LCS, and then he can tell me to off lol

You should - and then point him to this thread to see that 3 years of hard work have been ruined by small men of little imagination.

Which is quite simply a tragedy as Uber is brilliant.

And destroyed for a cheap buck - seriously, has anyone got a clue which 'variant' is which?

And how can you have a "pre-exclusive" to a character that has not even been introduced??

Luckily I bought mine in pre-sale.

I'm out.

In the past Avatar has made the complete variant list available. doh!

Yes, but it's only available in a 52 volume 50,000 page hardback set. There is a limited collectors edition covered in dollar bills and creator's broken dreams.

Yeah poor Uber. This had the potential to be a speculation/secondary market juggernaut but then avatar and all its variants took a mess on this book.

Ill still be picking up my reader copy though as the story is awesome so far!

Not sure how we went from the greatest thing since sliced bread yesterday to a ruined book that has been destroyed by greed..... hey guess what? DON'T BUY THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is everyone saying it is only a good book if they limit the number of printings? So, when they hit, say 50,000 books of various printings and covers, suddenly it is no longer a good read? I don't get it.

It's still a GREAT read - but as with Bedlam, the number of variants actively discourage new readers.There's what, nearly 20 for #0???

I personally refuse to be part of the problem - so I choose not to buy any more.

Reading this thread, so does just about everyone else.

I am taking very seriously the warnings of the 90's re-occuring after this debacle.

They should have just printed 1 cover for the 1st print, another for the 2nd etc.

I see your point. However, all of these different covers and variants can have a negative impact on two types of comic buyers.

1. The die-hard collector who likes a series and wants to get all of the covers he or she can. It can get expensive and frustrating when new covers are announced for an issue that was not supposed to be receive any additional printings (see issue #0).

2. The person who is new to comics that I recommend titles to. I do this based on the content and their interests. I can't hand hold them all the time and tell them which covers to buy. They are going to walk into a shop and see three or four or seven covers for a certain issue and not know which one to purchase. They will probably give up on the book out of frustration.

So multiple covers suddenly makes a story bad?

No but 100 different covers make some people shy away as they like to get all the books from the series. So when you have 20 different covers and only on issue 1, people run for the hills........

No. We're talking about the secondary market and yes too many variants kills a book. The primary market essentially gets free advertising and momentum from the secondary market these days. Turn off the secondary market and it will adversely affect the primary market. Make sense?

Collectors....collect. You answer the problem in your post. Don't buy them if you don't want them. You are absolutely right except that it translates to the collector won't buy ANY of them. No sales, no title. There will be enough sales to keep the book running....maybe but not to see any collectibility in the secondary market.

Collectors....collect. You answer the problem in your post. Don't buy them if you don't want them. You are absolutely right except that it translates to the collector won't buy ANY of them. No sales, no title. There will be enough sales to keep the book running....maybe but not to see any collectibility in the secondary market.

+1

Avatar are pumping out way too many variants of this :facepalm: I was going to collect the blitzkrieg sketch covers but there are too many that just make them look like a normal cover:

Regular blitzkrieg

Enchanted blitzkrieg

Retailer bonus blitzkrieg (so far for issues 1 and 2)

Having said that, I bet the store sells out of all these "limited exclusives" soon.

I'd take that bet. Avatar ruins titles with the multitude of variants.

Time will tell :) I'm still going to buy the book, all the variants won't kill it off if the story and art keep me interested, but it may send me to the trade format sooner.

All of these new Avatar exclusives are dressed up reprints anyway with higher prices, the same reason I've stopped buying the Phantom variants and most store variants unless the artwork is quite different (Superior Spidey #1 LSCC).

Story and art trumps everything else at the end of the day, but it wouldn't hurt publishers to reign back a little.

No. We're talking about the secondary market and yes too many variants kills a book. The primary market essentially gets free advertising and momentum from the secondary market these days. Turn off the secondary market and it will adversely affect the primary market. Make sense?

Very well said. Concise, effective and true.

(my job has forced me to abandon the Oxford comma. It looks and feels weird)

Avatar are pumping out way too many variants of this :facepalm: I was going to collect the blitzkrieg sketch covers but there are too many that just make them look like a normal cover:

Regular blitzkrieg

Enchanted blitzkrieg

Retailer bonus blitzkrieg (so far for issues 1 and 2)

Having said that, I bet the store sells out of all these "limited exclusives" soon.

I'd take that bet. Avatar ruins titles with the multitude of variants.

Time will tell :) I'm still going to buy the book, all the variants won't kill it off if the story and art keep me interested, but it may send me to the trade format sooner.

All of these new Avatar exclusives are dressed up reprints anyway with higher prices, the same reason I've stopped buying the Phantom variants and most store variants unless the artwork is quite different (Superior Spidey #1 LSCC).

Story and art trumps everything else at the end of the day, but it wouldn't hurt publishers to reign back a little.

I'm sorry but story and art do not trump all. This has been proven time and time again. I would never suggest someone not read a title. We each have our own tastes and that's awesome. For anyone hoping to make a few bucks on the secondary market stay away....far away. You really only have to look at Crossed as an example.

Concise and true. In fact, often the secondary market carries the book through the first several issues while the story develops.

I am reminded of this:

"A cottager and his wife had a Hen that laid a golden egg every day. They supposed that the Goose must contain a great lump of gold in its inside, and in order to get the gold they killed it. Having done so, they found to their surprise that the Goose differed in no respect from their other hens. The foolish pair, thus hoping to become rich all at once, deprived themselves of the gain of which they were assured day by day."

You guys are drama queens... what is with this hyperbole of 20 covers. What are there 8 variants of number #0?

Blitzkrieg Sketch

Wrap Around

Propaganda

Normal

Enhanced is technically a second print as stated by Avatar. There are 4 versions of the Enhanced.

How did 8 become 20?

You guys are drama queens... what is with this hyperbole of 20 covers. What are there 8 variants of number #0?

Blitzkrieg Sketch

Wrap Around

Propaganda

Normal

Enhanced is technically a second print as stated by Avatar. There are 4 versions of the Enhanced.

How did 8 become 20?

You lost me and most of the secondary market at 2. (thumbs u

Concise and true. In fact, often the secondary market carries the book through the first several issues while the story develops.

Exactly. Where did all the hype come from on this? Previews? lol No, the secondary market was almost solely responsible. I was at C2E2. How many people standing in line for the variants were collectors? Where did most of the sales come from? Do I really have to answer that question? lol

Blitzkrieg Sketch

Wrap Around

Propaganda

Normal

How did 8 become 20?

The frustration stems from this.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/08/uber-0s-second-print-will-be-its-last/

"Uber #0′s Second Print Will Be Its Last" ...Oh and it will also be limited to 7500 copies. Your last chance.

I believe Mark from Avatar also posted information about the Enhanced Edition being the second and last print of #0 way back in this thread.

You lost me and most of the secondary market at 2. (thumbs u

this thread lost me at "Avatar Press"

Whether its 1 variant or 20, i dont think there was any ever doubt what was driving this book up, and where it will end.

2013 is fully given over to speculation. Anything anyone is buying for other than a quick flip, better do it on the fundamentals alone.

Yes, you can make a lot of money if you buy tons of something at cover, and sell for more. But you also are taking on tons of risk. Guys like Jeff also make tons of money selling books like Walking Dead, which soared long ago.

Reselling comics is always profitable if you make wise and informed decisions. You dont have to buy at cover to make the MONIES, so try to balance risk and reward. People always are all about the reward, and forget that risk exists.

Better to consistently make risk-free money, than to gamble on the big pay days. In the end, the house always wins...

On a side note, I notice viperdays ebay account hasnt had a listing since May 5th. Is he on holidays? or did reality finally overwhelm fiction.....