• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kids and comics...

24 posts in this topic

My 8-yr old is so-so but my 13-yr old and 17-yr old love going to a comic book store. Both of them say there are quite a few students that are collecting.

My 8-year-old could care less about reading them. But he loves going to Comiccon because of all the non-comic book stuff.

I think a big problem in bridging the gap to the under-13 crowd is the content of the books, both story and visual. The art lacks the visual continuity of pre-2000 comics, and the stories are really geared for a teen and up audience. When I read comics in the late 70s/early 80s as a pre-teen, the little editorial boxes would guide you along the way, such as "Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice" or "It happened in Amazing #121 -- Roy". You never felt lost.

What about the cursing you see in new comics? They didn't need it before, yet they seem to need it now.

I pick up books for my 10-year-old nephew and mail them to him. He named his dog Mega Man, so I have that one on my monthly list. I brought him some books when we all met at Disney World, and the kid was reading the comic IN DISNEY WORLD.