• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revival #1 CGC 9.9 sells for $1025 on Ebay..What do you think...?

70 posts in this topic

I wonder if the difference between a CGC 9.8 and a CGC 9.9 is whether the grader is having a good day or a bad day?

Grading seems so subjective sometimes. I'd almost say the grader notes printed on the back side of the slab's index card should be a mandatory part of the process and for the rates charged, as an explanation and taking accountability to how the comic grader arrived as the assigned grade in full detail.

I think a system like what Beckett does for trading cards (see link below) should become industry standard, and this is where BGS beats PSA (CGC's card counterpart) in trading card grading:

http://www.beckett.com/grading/grading_faq

So, each aspect of a comic book would get merit points:

Spine

Front Cover Surface

Front Cover Edges

Front Cover Centering

Back Cover Surface

Back Cover Edges

Back Cover Centering

Interior Pages

Staples

And I'd hold all comics regardless of age (so a 9.6 for a modern book would be the same condition as a 9.6 for a bronze, silver or golden age book). It seems silly to assign grades based on a comics age as an asterisk to a rule. It's like saying Kate Upton is a Perfect 10, and Betty White is also a Perfect 10 considering her age...

WHAT!!!!! and a 9.8 goes for like $90. Damn.

I wonder if the difference between a CGC 9.8 and a CGC 9.9 is whether the grader is having a good day or a bad day?

Grading seems so subjective sometimes. I'd almost say the grader notes printed on the back side of the slab's index card should be a mandatory part of the process and for the rates charged, as an explanation and taking accountability to how the comic grader arrived as the assigned grade in full detail.

I think a system like what Beckett does for trading cards (see link below) should become industry standard, and this is where BGS beats PSA (CGC's card counterpart) in trading card grading:

http://www.beckett.com/grading/grading_faq

So, each aspect of a comic book would get merit points:

Spine

Front Cover Surface

Front Cover Edges

Front Cover Centering

Back Cover Surface

Back Cover Edges

Back Cover Centering

Interior Pages

Staples

And I'd hold all comics regardless of age (so a 9.6 for a modern book would be the same condition as a 9.6 for a bronze, silver or golden age book). It seems silly to assign grades based on a comics age as an asterisk to a rule. It's like saying Kate Upton is a Perfect 10, and Betty White is also a Perfect 10 considering her age...

WHAT!!!!! and a 9.8 goes for like $90. Damn.

I agree with you. I have been collecting baseball cards since I was a little kid, so I know a lot more about them than I do about comics. It never crossed my mind about the grading comparisons though. Usually when I see an older comic, I expect it to gain a higher grade because of its age, even if it wouldn't grade that high if it was a modern comic.

It's true that with baseball card grading there is a standard set of rules no matter how old or modern the card is. They're all graded equally.

What's good to you, maybe great to others...I agree he did overpay, but you never know in this crazy world, times are changing, we shall see ...

I keep trying to figure out your posts. I'm close to giving up. $1k for that book and you just witnessed a change. There is no investment potential at that point if you see comics as an investment.

People thought when Hulk 181 sold for a 1K, the person who bought it was said to be crazy!

Thank you...And we can keep naming them...

And we can name 1,000x more where the buyer simply had too much money to burn. Most of what you say seems to be worth about 2c

Personally I'd like my change. :taptaptap:

Looooooossssssseeeeerrrrr

:facepalm:

I can't really argue with that. I try to learn from experts. :)

Mystery solved, I think the 44 was actually a typo of 14, and its her age.

Your a noobie with a year on, get over it..

Says the guy with a 12/12 join date :facepalm: