• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd rarest bronze book ever.

69 posts in this topic

Strange how they were a myth, and now slowly appearing. Paying attention to bronze age rare books, clearly it's the Flintstones and Scooby .35 books that qualify as the rarest of the age. I call it.

and the kid colts, rawhides, fury's, no banner cap's...all about the same as the Hannah Barbera's

Strange how they were a myth, and now slowly appearing. Paying attention to bronze age rare books, clearly it's the Flintstones and Scooby .35 books that qualify as the rarest of the age. I call it.

and the kid colts, rawhides, fury's, no banner cap's...all about the same as the Hannah Barbera's

You the Man Harry! :hi:

.....ASM #184 All Variant with the sticker intact

.....ASM #184 All Variant with the sticker intact

Ah, I do miss this book.

ASM_184_All_Sticker203_zps3693eabc.jpg

For the few of you who are in doubt. The Superman comic that I was talking about is NOT the Bradman issue and first of all the Bradman issue is not bronze age and it is not rare. I see it on Ebay every other week. The superman comic I am talking about is from 1976 and is a 2 page giveaway. IT has superman skiing on the cover. The only person I know that has one is overstreet advisor, Al Stoltz and he is a fellow rare comic collector like me. I mostly collect golden age because that is where most of the truly rare comics are. As far as the kid colt, scooby doo, flintstone variant being # 2. I don't think so. The places I look for rare comics, 35 cent variants turn up all the time. I have seen all these variants. I don't really consider variants as true rarities. My marvel super special 7 that I have posted is THE FIRST one I have EVER SEEN in my 22 years of exclusively collecting rare comics and I bought this one from a guy in France. I hope I have cleared up all the doubters because rarity is what I do. This is my game.

The comics Bo is referring to is "Supergear", a giveaway out of Colorado from a sporting goods store. It is NOT an unlicensed giveaway, rather exceptionally rare. In 30 years I've seen 3 - the two Al Stoltz has and one that I had that I flipped to Ian Levine two or three years ago. I paid $1500 for that one and was happy to do so.

And Bo, if you have a Flintstones 1 35 center, you should post it, because there's a zillion people looking for one.

IMO its the SuperGear and then everything else is debatable.

As a Perez collector I was offered a copy of this mag a while back and passed, having no desire to own it. Again only my perspective and I respect that others value different things when considering collectibles; I passed because A) Its a Mag and not a comic B) Its a foreign variant C) To me its more a piece of Beatles or Bee Gees Rock memorabilia than it is a comic collectible.

I'm at work so I can't check but it it in the OSPG?

Again my perspective but I think the 2nd rarest comic book is going to be a 35c variant based on supply and demand. Dan I can't remember but have you completed the 35s? If so sincere kudos to you, I'm happy to buy your variant cast offs on EBAY.

2c

Again my perspective but I think the 2nd rarest comic book is going to be a 35c variant based on supply and demand. Dan I can't remember but have you completed the 35s? If so sincere kudos to you, I'm happy to buy your variant cast offs on EBAY.

2c

not speaking for Dan, but there is only one complete set of 35's known thusfar, and that belongs to cosmic-spider-man.

2c

not speaking for Dan, but there is only one complete set of 35's known thusfar, and that belongs to cosmic-spider-man.

I do not have a 35 cent variant set. Cosmic's achievement is beyond amazing - people have been trying for 15 years to get it done, and he's the only one. I know ShieldAgent is veryveryveryvery close.

2c

I do not have a 35 cent variant set. Cosmic's achievement is beyond amazing - people have been trying for 15 years to get it done, and he's the only one. I know ShieldAgent is veryveryveryvery close.

Congrats to both of them :applause: I have a handful of 35c that mean something to me, mostly because when I completed a run you said, 'including the variants?' :tonofbricks: and so :frustrated: and I went back and got them.

I'm getting closer to a set of the 30s, and that has been difficult enough. Really enjoy talking about the variants with the other collectors and I think it is one of cool sets in comic collectibles IF YOU ARE PATIENT, most comic collectors of course struggle with this trait lol. I mean in BA its either than or 100 pagers and really who collects those :sick::baiting:

35 cent variants seem like if you have the money you could source them in a few months....

If this were true, there would be more than one complete set -the only complete set since 35 centers were discovered long ago.

Flying Donut, I have never had a 35 cent Flintstone or Scooby but 12 years ago at the Wizard Philadelphia con, Motown comics had both of them. I tried to trade some rare golden age for it but they were not trading and there price was firm. I think it was like $1200 each. I am mostly a golden age collector so I try not to pay that much for newer books although I really like the bronze age because there are a lot of rarities in this age. I have always had lots of respect for you and Al for finding a Supergear!!!

184 total 35 Cent Marvel comics.....

Marvel Comics back in June 1977 wanted to test the market to see if comic buyers would accept a five cent price increase. Much like the 30 cent variants from the year before Marvel released a 35 cent variant for every 30 cent comic they produced from June to Oct. 1977. This was a total of 184 different comics. These 35 cent variants were printed in much smaller numbers than the normal 30 cent counterpart and were believed to have only been shipped to only six distribution areas to be sold in those areas.

You should give the cosmic-spider-man credit when quoting his write up over at STL.

Flying Donut, I have never had a 35 cent Flintstone or Scooby but 12 years ago at the Wizard Philadelphia con, Motown comics had both of them. I tried to trade some rare golden age for it but they were not trading and there price was firm. I think it was like $1200 each. I am mostly a golden age collector so I try not to pay that much for newer books although I really like the bronze age because there are a lot of rarities in this age. I have always had lots of respect for you and Al for finding a Supergear!!!

I have posted the picture of my daughter holding the Scooby doo they had. I asked about the Flintstones and they said they never had that one. Are you sure it was Motown?