• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd rarest bronze book ever.

69 posts in this topic

For the few of you who are in doubt. The Superman comic that I was talking about is NOT the Bradman issue and first of all the Bradman issue is not bronze age and it is not rare. I see it on Ebay every other week. The superman comic I am talking about is from 1976 and is a 2 page giveaway. IT has superman skiing on the cover. The only person I know that has one is overstreet advisor, Al Stoltz and he is a fellow rare comic collector like me. I mostly collect golden age because that is where most of the truly rare comics are. As far as the kid colt, scooby doo, flintstone variant being # 2. I don't think so. The places I look for rare comics, 35 cent variants turn up all the time. I have seen all these variants. I don't really consider variants as true rarities. My marvel super special 7 that I have posted is THE FIRST one I have EVER SEEN in my 22 years of exclusively collecting rare comics and I bought this one from a guy in France. I hope I have cleared up all the doubters because rarity is what I do. This is my game.

The art would be more rare.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Rare-1978-SGT-Pepper-pg-26-Marvel-Super-Special-7-George-Perez-unpublished-/320929981679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8eae4ef

DG

For the few of you who are in doubt. The Superman comic that I was talking about is NOT the Bradman issue and first of all the Bradman issue is not bronze age and it is not rare. I see it on Ebay every other week. The superman comic I am talking about is from 1976 and is a 2 page giveaway. IT has superman skiing on the cover. The only person I know that has one is overstreet advisor, Al Stoltz and he is a fellow rare comic collector like me. I mostly collect golden age because that is where most of the truly rare comics are. As far as the kid colt, scooby doo, flintstone variant being # 2. I don't think so. The places I look for rare comics, 35 cent variants turn up all the time. I have seen all these variants. I don't really consider variants as true rarities. My marvel super special 7 that I have posted is THE FIRST one I have EVER SEEN in my 22 years of exclusively collecting rare comics and I bought this one from a guy in France. I hope I have cleared up all the doubters because rarity is what I do. This is my game.

I thought both Dan Cusimano and Ian Levine had the Supergear comic too?

Interesting thing that Al Stoltz has a Supergear, but has never seen some of the variants you just seemed to pass by?

I live in Maryland too, how about you clue me into the location of the Scoobys, Flintstones, and Kid Colt 35 centers that seem to be eluding everyone else.

I figured Ian Levine had a Supergear but I did not know for sure. I have never heard of Dan Cuisomo. I don't usually tell anyone where I look for comics but since I don't want these variants, I will tell where I saw them. I saw the Scooby 35 cent from Motown comics, I saw the Flintstone 35 cent on Ebay and the Kid colt outlaw 35 cent on Ebay. The reason I don't collect variants is because they are always changing. Originally the star wars 1 35 cent was the variant to get so I got one then 100 other variants came out and were rarer than that. Then I went out and got the rarest whitman variant, Warlord 22 now they say something is rarer than that. So I don't think there is any consistency as far as variants are concerned.

I figured Ian Levine had a Supergear but I did not know for sure. I have never heard of Dan Cuisomo. I don't usually tell anyone where I look for comics but since I don't want these variants, I will tell where I saw them. I saw the Scooby 35 cent from Motown comics, I saw the Flintstone 35 cent on Ebay and the Kid colt outlaw 35 cent on Ebay. The reason I don't collect variants is because they are always changing. Originally the star wars 1 35 cent was the variant to get so I got one then 100 other variants came out and were rarer than that. Then I went out and got the rarest whitman variant, Warlord 22 now they say something is rarer than that. So I don't think there is any consistency as far as variants are concerned.

Motown Scooby sold for $3500 and has disappeared into a nice private collection presumably.

Star Wars 1 is still nice to have - $25,000 or so in highest grade which is not a 9.8 (yet).

Dan is Flyingdonut, and he knows hard to find books.

The Scooby, Flintstone, and Kid Colt were all one-time listings and were not even NM grade when they sold for a good price.

The Star Wars were more of a popular buy with comic and Star Wars collectors in the 1970's into the 1980's so more people requested them so they were not rare but had a bigger price tag as being a grail to those collectors.

With anything when there are demands for something, there is the will to find it and try to make a fast buck off a group who will buy it. That has happened with 35c test price books where you will see people flipping them repeatedly relist the same books for a higher price on EBay or ComicLink. This makes them less hard-to-find or seems less hard-to-find. Look at the Bradman that you can buy in the UK with no problem but here in the states some meatball started listing the same three copies he bought from the UK on EBay after some people made hype about it on here about a high grade CGC copy that was sold on Comiclink. Therefore, demand dropped.

The same could happen with your book if a high grade copy sold for a crazy price to a Bee Gee/ Beatles fan on HA.com then some French person goes to his warehouse and lists 3 or more copies one after another all over internet. Then the rare copy would be the unseen US copy.

Any rare hard-to-find test price variant Bronze books I have seen has always been the same copy being relist because a sale went bad or being flipped by a dealer at an unreal price. A real collector of any hard-to-find books would lock them away for many years like the owner of the Scooby Doo or the only person I know on here that owns that Kid Colt :baiting: off EBay but will not trade with me.

I find more copies of Action Comics #1’s or Detective Comics #27’s for auction/sale then 35c copies of Iron Fist #13, #14, or #15 combined in a year for sale/auction.

I am not downing you on what you like to collect or consider hard-to-find. What you have is a cool book to find and something I will not find for a while. You just have to get the full story about certain collectables before you can make a statement as bold as you did.

Two covers exist of this comic (the Beatles one).

Are both covers equally rare?

I think there is only one cover to this book. The book you might be thinking of is Marvel Super Special #4... This is # 7 of that series.

You are right, the one I saw is issue 4, the Beatles story.

Motown Scooby sold for $3500 and has disappeared into a nice private collection presumably.

Star Wars 1 is still nice to have - $25,000 or so in highest grade which is not a 9.8 (yet).

(thumbs u Mr.Donut knows his shizz.

(thumbs u Mr.Donut knows his shizz.

Ugh, comparing Whitman rarity without it being something like DC Comics Presents 22 to actually rare hard-to-find price variants... :makepoint:

I need a confirmation.

I have this french book, it's actually two books attached with an extra cover. It's something usual here in Europe, published used to sell this way the books returned from newstands, it's like a primitive trade paperback.

The first book is Marvel Super Special 4, the Beatles Story, and still has the original cover.

The second book does not have the original cover, and this is where I need some help; it this a coverless Marvel Super Special 7?

Beatlesfrench_zpsf96cbcc3.jpg

Beatlesfrench3_zpscf133dc1.jpg

Beatlesfrench2_zpsb15fc377.jpg

Beatlesfrench5_zps5649e244.jpg

Beatlesfrench1_zps5602f85b.jpg

Beatlesfrench4_zps81f75fab.jpg

wow

Aren't there only 2 copies known of the DC presents 22? That might qualify as #1 if it's considered a bronze book.

no, there are alot more than that known already, and a bunch more ready to appear.

some whitmans may be HTF, but are generally not rare

Strange how they were a myth, and now slowly appearing. Paying attention to bronze age rare books, clearly it's the Flintstones and Scooby .35 books that qualify as the rarest of the age. I call it.