• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #1

36 posts in this topic

Someday I want an AF 15 and I guarantee that bad boy is going to be purple. On a key like this it simply wouldn't bother me, like Chris said, it's the only way some of us can afford these books.

try to get a slightly restored book. Extensively restored books have a tendency to look like an old lady with too much make up on when you look at em up close. To be sure some work is better than others but if you get an extensive(P) book that is a stinker it will definitely detract from the enjoyment.

I'm thinking of having it pressed, regardless if I get it CGC'd or not...any feelings on that?

It's your book, press it if you'd like.

There are some very strong feelings about pressing on this board. However, I think everyone will agree that you are entitled to make your own decision to press personal collection books.

Sweet book btw. I'm happy that you are OK with the color touch. :)

I'm not sure if I'd say I'm necessarily happy with the color touch, but there's really not much that can be done about that now. :) I am very happy, of course to have the book!

Since pressing isn't considered restoration, if it would make the book look nicer, for a nominal fee, I think I might have it done. I'll have to think about it.

Unless I was selling it I would put it in a Mylar with full back and sit it in my book case. It is a great book restored or not.

+1

agreed...not selling, already know it is restored, no need to put more coins into CGC's pocket.

There is normal wear for the grade, pressing appears to be more effective for books in higher grade, to remove minimal defects and creases.

This is such a nice book as is, it wouldn’t loose all of its wear by pressing it, so I can’t see the point but hear some expert if you’d like to press it.

I think it would definitely be a candidate for removal. It's not a super high grade book, so the grade wouldn't be lowered enough to effect its value. Even with a grade loss, it would STILL be worth a lot more as a blue label. I'd have that book over to Matt Nelson faster than lightning.

Thanks again for the opinions...there seems to be a split for slab/don't slab...leave it as is, remove the color touch....now I'm not sure, lol.

For the time being, it'll stay as it is. In October I'll bring it along to NYCC and show it in person so I can get a better assessment. Hopefully Matt Nelson will be there as well. I guess I'm just a bit reluctant to put it in the mail, even with insurance.

The removal looks to be minimal, and it would increase the value a ton, and most importantly.. drop the PLOD! To ME, it's almost a no brainer, but the most important thing about it, is whether or not it bleeds through. If it does, then that makes it more trouble than it would be worth.

EDIT: It appears that there is no bleed through. I didn't look at the pic above, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Again I'm no expert and will defer to the boards, but it looks amateur to me and I'm pretty sure amateur restoration can't be removed easily, if at all. It never hurts to give it to a professional like Matt and get his opinion though, so good luck!