• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #1

36 posts in this topic

Thanks again to those that have chimed in on my previous uploads of ASM #13 and #14. I'm learning from you guys and I appreciate the feedback. Here's a copy of my ASM #1, purchased back in 1980 for $325. (by my mom that is). We had the opportunity the same day to buy a copy of AF #15 (in better shape) for the same price, but went with the #1...arghhh!

Anyways, hope I haven't uploaded too many pics, but figured the more that can show the defects the better an assesment can be made.

This is another book I plan on taking to the NYCC this October. I'm also thinking of having it pressed.

AMAZING_SPIDER-MAN-%231.frnt.jpg

AMAZING_SPIDER-MAN-%231.back.jpg

amazing-1-cover-flat.jpg

ASM-%231-corner-1.jpg

ASM-%231-corner-2.jpg

ASM-%231-corner-3.jpg

ASM-%231-corner-4.jpg

ASM-%231-spine-1.jpg

ASM-%231-spine-2.jpg

ASM-%231-back_cover-spine.jpg

ASM-%231-open.jpg

ASM-%231-open-back.jpg

ASM-%231-message.jpg

ASM-%231-back_crease.jpg

ASM-%231-back_tear.jpg

ASM-%231-flat_light.jpg

Thanks, though I must admit I don't know what slight (A) ct in the green is referring to/means. I looked around to see if there was some kind of guide to abbreviations/terminology but couldn't find one.

He means that there looks to be a slight color touch in the green line across the bottom of the cover. It'd come back with a purple label instead of blue. It also really hurts the value for it to be restored.

It could just be the scan, but the green looks very dark and thus the thought it might be touched up.

Again: I can’t see the point in submitting this. There is clearly a color touch and if graded the book will be (unnecessarily) penalized.

It’s a very cool book and if some day you should decide to sell it, with this minimum amount of color touch it would sell better raw, IMO.

Grade in the F- 5.5 range seems accurate. :)

Thanks, Chris. I guess I'll find out later this year when I will (likely) submit it at NYCC.

That is 100% color touch just so you know. I don't want it to surprise you when you receive it back. I would listen to Vaillant on this one, he knows what he is talking about.

If you're trying to maximize your $ Then press and do not sub.

Yes, it's a touch of green to cover paper abrasion.

It’s no big deal, to me, it‘s a solid copy and I guess you paid a fair market value for it, back then.

That is 100% color touch just so you know. I don't want it to surprise you when you receive it back. I would listen to Vaillant on this one, he knows what he is talking about.

Mostly because I would never slab one of my comics? lol

Seriously, I am far from being an expert on any of these issues. ;)

Yea I'd slab it. It'd still be worth it to have the grade and guarantee. I also think the negative mindset associated with Purple labels is changing. As a younger collector, buying purple might be the only way I'd ever be able to acquire some of my keys.

Just know it won't draw the premium it would if not color touched/restored.

And I'm not expert on this, but can't people remove slight color touch? This doesn't sound right but I believe that someone had mentioned it.

Someday I want an AF 15 and I guarantee that bad boy is going to be purple. On a key like this it simply wouldn't bother me, like Chris said, it's the only way some of us can afford these books.

To clarify: if one wants a book CGC'd at all costs, I still think kamenliter’s copy would be better sold as is, especially if the buyer has the possibility to see it.

At any rate, the photos he provided are good and show the book in detail.

To reply Chris, the color touch here goes deep: removing it would result in a pretty heavy removal of paper, and I really think it’s not the case. For what?

Now we should consider the Purple label a sort of "agreed upon" stigma allowing collectors to buy at better prices? It doesn’t make much sense to me, as this would eventually sell at a little less, because of the color touches, so it appears to me it’s more a matter of whether one wants to actually read the books or not. Of course I am speaking if kamenliter intends to keep his Spideys.

Should he decide to sell them, any way might be good, as you say Purple on big books is seen with a kinder eye by the collecting community.