• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoarding Harlan

56 posts in this topic

Everything you could possibly want to know about the Harlan Ellison Collection.

Okay, so last year I went a "little" nuts and bought the heart of Harlan Ellison's comic collection, about 800 books (so far). This was by far my largest comic purchase, ever.

And...since members have been asking for more info, I thought I'd do the journal thing and share the backstory of the collection, the present, and hopeful future acquisitions.

See more journals by Bleuhawaii

It all started with a boy, a typewriter, and a dream...

I first discovered Harlan when I stumbled across a copy of Deathbird Stories in the junior high library. How it got there remains a mystery and I'm sure our librarian was reprimanded. (This is back when we were playing D&D in the library and parents were complaining that we were worshipping the devil. Because that's where you do it, in the library, right next to the Encyclopedia Satanica).

I LOVED Deathbird Stories. If you're a Neil Gaiman fan, Deathbird was an early inspiration for, American Gods. Deathbird blew my mind. And later, as an aspiring writer, it STILL blew my mind.

Now I write for a living. And when I heard Harlan was selling his 1st typewriter, a Remington Noiseless, circa 1938, I had to have it. And luckily my wife digs Harlan too.

So off to Harlan's I went, where I spent the day with he and his lovely wife, Susan. I got the grand tour, went in the secret vault(s), saw Harlan's comics along with signed books, OA (comics and book covers) and more cool bric-a-brac than I've ever seen in one place, save SDCC.

(The typewriter had actually resided at the SF Museum in Seattle for five years, until Harlan heard that they had refused to induct an aged writer whom Harlan felt had contributed greatly to the field. The museum thought otherwise, so Harlan basically said, "Screw you, I'm taking my typewriter.")

Later, when I heard that he was selling his comics, I was all over it. I jumped in right away and bought a ton of cool books (nearly 800), had most of them graded, and they're just now starting to come back from CGC.

I just wish I had gotten there a smidge earlier to get that X-Men #1 signed to Harlan from Stan Lee. That's the one book that go away. More on that later.

DSC_8799_zps2e4f6c71.jpg Harlan's abode, dubbed Ellison Wonderland. Or the Lost Aztec Temple on Mars. There are lovecraft-inspired glyphs, that are on movable tiles. Each glyph represents a letter, so they can be moved around to spell out different cryptic messages on the side of the house.

12991d91-3711-4a39-b135-c166dafc9c16_zps378a0bd5.jpg

The codex for the glyphs.

DSC_8810_zps1948cf43.jpg Gargoyles designed in the likenesses of Nixon, Ann Coulter, etc.

DSC_8812_zps5fb63132.jpg Harlan and me.

Wow, what a GREAT story. His name sounded familiar and then I remembered he authored one of the books on my wish list - Avengers #88. I'm curious, did the books receive a pedigree from CGC? That would be cool. Are you planning on keeping the collection or parting with some of it? Not that I'm looking to buy or anything mind you (wink).

I looked him up and learned a lot about him...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison. Given this description, you are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend some time with him, let alone tour his home, AND purchase his collection..."Ellison has a reputation for being abrasive and argumentative. He has generally agreed with this assessment, and a dust jacket from one of Ellison's books described him as 'possibly the most contentious person on Earth'." Judging by the pictures you shared I would say he has softened some in his later years. I hope you share more about your experience and the books themselves. I can't imagine grading 700 books...that had to cost like $20K. I shared your story with my wife and told her if I ever had an opportunity like that we would have to dip into the line of credit on the house to make it happen!

Oh yeah, and this made me laugh out loud..."This is back when we were playing D&D in the library and parents were complaining that we were worshipping the devil. Because that's where you do it, in the *spoon* library, right next to the Encyclopedia Satanica."

sig.jpg

SUPREMELY JEALOUS!!!! It's Crazier than a Soup Sandwhich!

Harlan is one of my heroes and inspirations.

The man is a master storyteller.

I actually don't see Deathbird Stories as an inspiration for American Gods... but who knows.

It is utterly amazing and mind-boggling that you not only got to meet Harlan and his wife Susan, but that you now have in your possesion his typewriter and 800 comics he once owned.

It's incredible! I can only begin to imagine what revealing conversations you must have had... discussing H.E.'s short stories and teleplays... masterworks of one of the greatest living writers of modern times!

Damn you are fortunate.

Please share more!... please!

SW3D

Wow, what a GREAT story. His name sounded familiar and then I remembered he authored one of the books on my wish list - Avengers #88. I'm curious, did the books receive a pedigree from CGC? That would be cool. Are you planning on keeping the collection or parting with some of it? Not that I'm looking to buy or anything mind you (wink).

I looked him up and learned a lot about him...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison. Given this description, you are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend some time with him, let alone tour his home, AND purchase his collection..."Ellison has a reputation for being abrasive and argumentative. He has generally agreed with this assessment, and a dust jacket from one of Ellison's books described him as 'possibly the most contentious person on Earth'." Judging by the pictures you shared I would say he has softened some in his later years. I hope you share more about your experience and the books themselves. I can't imagine grading 700 books...that had to cost like $20K. I shared your story with my wife and told her if I ever had an opportunity like that we would have to dip into the line of credit on the house to make it happen!

sig.jpg

The collection didn't qualify as a true pedigree since the books were well-read, well-loved by Harlan, so the overall grading isn't in the 9.2+ average.

Some of the books are gorgeous, others are hammered. Harlan began collecting loooong before CGC, long before backing boards for that matter. He did have a few books restored by Matt Nelson, but aside from those books, to my knowledge nothing has been pressed or dry cleaned. So some of the books could get a bump, but right now they're in their funky, original condition. And yeah, the grading and overall cost was a lot of dough...but I'm not really into fancy cars or boats, so I guess this is my mid-life crisis...right honey? *waving to my wife* :hi:

And Harlan...well, he's not one to hold back. Even at 78 years old the man has no filter, which can be a LOT of fun. But he can also be very generous. He's mentored some outstanding writers like Bruce Stirling, Octavia Butler, Dan Simmons, Robert Crais, and the list goes on. (And he's given me plenty of career advice).

For now I'm gonna hang onto the books. But if I sell, I'll probably sell everything at once thru a place like Metropolis. Right now I'm still looking for more, and Harlan & Susan have promised me first crack at his Golden Age books whenever he decides to part with them.

SUPREMELY JEALOUS!!!! It's Crazier than a Soup Sandwhich!

Harlan is one of my heroes and inspirations.

The man is a master storyteller.

I actually don't see Deathbird Stories as an inspiration for American Gods... but who knows.

It is utterly amazing and mind-boggling that you not only got to meet Harlan and his wife Susan, but that you now have in your possesion his typewriter and 800 comics he once owned.

It's incredible! I can only begin to imagine what revealing conversations you must have had... discussing H.E.'s short stories and teleplays... masterworks of one of the greatest living writers of modern times!

Damn you are fortunate.

Please share more!... please!

SW3D

As you can imagine, the man has come CRAZY stories. Having breakfast at some hotel with the Rolling Stones and Brian Jones is sitting there, stoned, and naked as tourists walk by. All the way to more recently when R&B singer, Brandy, was filming part of her reality show a few houses up from Harlan's. The whole entourage and film crew came over to check out Harlan's crazy house.

And I didn't notice the Deathbird thing either, until I read the acknowledgments in American Gods and Gaiman references it. I had to go back and look at Deathbird and all the segments between stories about the dying old gods and the new gods, the god of coaxial cable, the god of smog, the god of Freudian guilt...

As far as why he's selling? My guess is that it's all to take care of Susan, in case his health really starts to go. The practical realities of getting older...

The one that got away... :sorry:

When I heard that Harlan was selling his collection through Blastoff Comics, I immediately contacted Jud Meyers who was handling sales. Jud ran Earth-2, the LCS down the hill from Harlan's place. Harlan's known Jud for years and trusts him.

I hated the thought of this cool collection not receiving an actual FROM THE COLLECTION OF designation. The comics were being sold with signed certificates of authenticity, like Mile High II, or the Sid's Luncheonette books, but I wanted that CGC'd provenance. I've been able to track down 24 CGC'd "collections" outside of the pedigrees. The only ones that had name appeal (or at least recognition) were the Nic Cage collection and the Graham Nash collection. Harlan is someone whose rep is more germane to the comic world, so I figured I'd try.

As it would turn out, Jud was thinking the same thing. He was looking for a buyer who would grade enough books to get the nod CGC for the HARLAN ELLISON COLLECTION. Jud had been talking to Paul at CGC and minimum of 300 slabs was negotiated, but once I saw the books I ended up having twice that many graded.

With some of the books the grades might not ordinarily warrant slabbing. I could have gone the pre-screen route. But there seemed to be something inherently cool about having runs and not just a few books here and there in the registry while the others were scattered in bags. It seemed like the sum was greater than the parts.

But...before I could get there, one key book was sold. X-Men #1. It was a 3.0+ but it was signed to Harlan from Stan Lee. And I missed it. I was told a woman bought it, someone who was really into Harlan. I'm hoping to find it someday. Here's Harlan talking about it:

Dear BH,

I just downloaded your novel Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet onto my Nook... can't wait to read it. How does a fanboy author such a heavy story?

Will the graphic novel collection Secret Identities be available on the Nook platform?

With glowing endorsements from Jim Lee and George Tekei... it's gotta be good. I definitely want to read Gaman.

I haven't been active in Goodreads for a long time, but once i finish the book i will post a review on there as well as on Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

When is your next book coming out?

Besides meeting Harlan and buying his collection, you must have so many comic book stories to share... I'm looking forward to reading more journal entries.

SW3D

I'm curious about your new book: Songs of Willow Frost... What's it about?

It is such a poetic and intriguing title... how did you come up with it?

I can't seem to find SOWF on Nook... is it pending a digital version?

Sorry to say... I no longer collect "real" books in favor of the digital formats since I have grown tired of storage limitations and seeing my books collect dust. I will keep the books I treasure most... especially Deathbird Stories, Essential Ellison, Angry Candy, Slippage and the others, but I now favor the concept of an limitless virtual library accessible through the cloud. I even buy my Graphic Novels this way. Now I have a ton of things to read... your debut novel among them.

Did Harlan discuss his run-in with Frank Sinatra or his research into street gangs?

Contrary to what I said about real books... if you are planning a book signing in NYC... I would definitely purchase a hardcover edition.

SW3D

Dear BH,

I just downloaded your novel Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet onto my Nook... can't wait to read it. How does a fanboy author such a heavy story?

Will the graphic novel collection Secret Identities be available on the Nook platform?

With glowing endorsements from Jim Lee and George Tekei... it's gotta be good. I definitely want to read Gaman.

I haven't been active in Goodreads for a long time, but once i finish the book i will post a review on there as well as on Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

When is your next book coming out?

Besides meeting Harlan and buying his collection, you must have so many comic book stories to share... I'm looking forward to reading more journal entries.

SW3D

You'd be surprised how many authors read stuff that is the opposite of what they write. I met Orson Scott Card once and he predominantly reads chick lit--Anne Tyler, Amy Tan, Olive Ann Burns. Seriously.

I guess I like the research with writing historical fiction. I've tried my hand at SF&F but I suck at world building and creating magic systems. (But someone who does do that well is Brian McClellan. He has a series coming out called Promise of Blood. If you like Game of Thrones, you'll like it. I love it).

The new book comes out Sept. 10...and Random House is sending me on a 20-city tour, which is crazy (cool, but wow...KA-RAZY). I'm hoping NYC will be part of it but NY is weird in that they're losing some of their best (and largest) bookstores.

The Secret Identities thing was a labor of love. I was just happy to be swimming in the wake of the big fish...Greg Pak, Dustin Nguyen, Bernard Chang, etc.

I've been CGCd.

Can we do that now, can we just use that as shorthand for complaining about CGCs grading? The consensus has been that CGC is tightening their standards and from the boxes of slabs that have been rolling in, my Magic 8-Ball says, "All signs point to yes."

CGC tightening their standards is akin to NBA refs tightening how they call fouls. It's ludicrous to think that standards can fluctuate, because what are standards if they change all the time?

What also confuses the out of me is how they grade restored books. They don't disclose their normal grading standards but through trial and error collectors have been able to get a sense of what things they hammer you on and what they let go. But for Purple labels, who knows?

Here are two of Harlan's restored books, the first is the FF#1.

FF1_zps6f493ef7.jpg

FF1back_zps195bd671.jpg

I always thought APPARENT meant that the restoration makes the book look like a similarly non-restored book. So when this book went in I was expecting a Purple 7.0-7.5. This book is gorgeous. No tears. The book is crisp, with a faint hint in the lower right-hand corner that there was a fold there but it's been 98% pressed out.

The back is where the obvious flaw is...the water stain on the lower left. When trying to look at the edge of the book there are two dark spots that look like they've seeped through to 1/4 of the pages. (Hard to tell).

Is that stain enough to drop the book to a 4.5? By comparison here's an unrestored 4.5

Hulk1small_zps91b76345-1_zps1ef132ac.jpg

This looks like a decent 4.5. Rounded corners, lots of dings along the spine, some chipping, some obvious folds, some cover wear, but it doesn't even compare to the restored FF. So what am I missing. The FF has replaced staples. Does that drop 2-3 grades? I wish I knew.

So the next step is to crack this thing open. I have to look at the interior pages for water damage or something I missed that can be corrected. Then, I'm sending it back, rolling the dice to see what the CGC slot machine pays out this time.

The other book is a restored FF#2. This book has incredible eye appeal, but came back a 4.0 with the ONLY restoration being slight (P) color touch. Upon close inspection it looks like there are a couple of 1/16" tears on the front cover that have been pressed so flat you really have to search for them. Bit of a water stain by the Thing's right elbow. And it looks like there's some foxing on the back.

FF2_zpsaea3daba.jpg

So again, I'm gonna crack this sucker open and look inside. Then I'm sending it back as well and having the color touch removed. If I resub without the restoration, what grade do you think CGCs drunken, dart-throwing monkey will give it?

I have heard that CGC is death on stains of any kind...I haven't experienced it myself but I keep reading about otherwise great books getting horrible grades because of small stains.

It's not just death. They actually come to your house with truncheons and beat you, kidnap your children, shoot your dog, and drink your last beer.

I have heard that CGC is death on stains of any kind...I haven't experienced it myself but I keep reading about otherwise great books getting horrible grades because of small stains.

It's not just death. They actually come to your house with truncheons and beat you, kidnap your children, shoot your dog, and drink your last beer.

I knew they were evil, but drinking the last beer? That is just downright mean...

I've been CGCd.

If I resub without the restoration, what grade do you think CGCs drunken, dart-throwing monkey will give it?

BH, I couldn't agree more with your ism's! "I've been CGC'd" is awesome and the drunken, dart throwing monkey is exactly how I feel about their "system". There is no rhyme or reason behind how they do things it seems. Once you submit a book, you have to hold your collective breath for about 6 months and then get disappointed.

2012 was a brutal year for CGC grades. I suppose you have to wait for a certain season to submit to get fair grading.

Your FF 1 did look to be at least a 7.0 but CGC's new thing lately seems to be water stains. If a book has a water stain on it, guarantee that book will not see a 5.5 which seems pretty harsh.

Well, I wish you well on your other books!! You have an amazing story with Harlan. Good luck!

Robo