• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My adventures in submitting my project to a comic publisher

92 posts in this topic

it's ok, yes, almost a year was lost but now there are firm expectations and requirements needed to finish this. the proposal wasn't started to ruin friendships, but damn, i need reliable people working on it.

I don't get some people who want to make art their profession and around so much when you have a good chance of making it happen. It might not be more than a handful of books, but you can at least say you did it, not many can say that.

We have prelim reviews on what has been completed so far (I know, glorified portfolio reviews) but anything is better than nothing when it comes to our peers and what they think is viable.

i'm tired and going to bed.

Thanks for posting.

I am an artist that is trying his hand at writing and drawing. I have 2-3 ideas for different books and have an inker local to me that I have worked with before that is interested in helping me out.

Never under estimate the financial side of things in doing a project like this. I am not talking about paying people for their contributiuons, but the actual printing / distribution costs.

i suppose it is now to part 5...

the pencils are done, the inks are done, and by some sheer bit of luck, the inker on the project had a new neighbor move in, and she just happened to be a letterer for...wildstorm.

well, good luck for once, i'm not used to good luck. so she does up a test page, and i think that is when i first felt the "oh mess, this is actually going to happen." i don't know if what i wrote is going to be good enough since there are now three other people relying on the story i created to sell this thing...

Page after page of prelims with text is freaking me out more and more. The others involved try to convince me that the story is good and there is nothing to worry about. i continue to go over each page, coming up with changes, unnecessary changes. then i see changes the artist made in the panel flow that interrupts the text. and the issues are endless.

finally, the letterer just said point blank "this is good stuff, i've seen a lot worse from pros."

then i jump in the way back machine to a letter in wizard where a reader wrote in about (i think) ripclaw jumping from a tree and gave a 20 minute speech on the way down to whomever he was attacking. instantaneously, my sphincter relaxed.

and now, i just see what it is, my words over mark's inks and stefano's art. instead of my wannabe career on other guys stuff that could give them a black eye.

next...

Part 6, So this well known colorist has contacted us? I'm broke but my long boxes might be able to cover the charge..Time to sell some books!

Well, for my part, it takes a lot of work and self-discipline.

I freelance for Newsarama, Sequart, and Nerdspan. I'm also working on a critical book on the comics early and present-day Image Comics for Sequart. On top of this, I have two comic stories getting published in two different anthologies and two others I'm waiting to hear back on. I'm also developing an on-going, all-ages series with another fella and editing/co-writing two other projects of his. When those are done, he'll return the favor and do the artwork on an original graphic novel I'm writing.

Those are my hobby projects. I'm also a full-time English professor with 1.5 & 3.5 year old boys and a wife who works full time as well. I'm presently in the middle of writing my doctoral dissertation & will graduate (all goes well) in December of 2013. In addition to prepping the dissertation for graduation, I'm also working with an established publisher in the field of comics studies to get this into print. To this end, I also write about 2-3 academic articles for various journals or collected works and present at another 2-3 academic conferences each year.

Suffice to say, 1. I don't watch much television or play many video games anymore, and 2. this is part of why my presence on the boards has somewhat diminished over the past year or so. Any little free time I do manage to find gets put into my various writing projects.

So thats why you havn't brewed any beer lately :sorry:

If anyone is interested, a Facebook group has been started documenting each step a bit more involved (it's closed to the public) so the four of us are much more free to put our work "out there".

I'll post the link for anyone to join. No big deal if you don't.

If anyone is interested, a Facebook group has been started documenting each step a bit more involved (it's closed to the public) so the four of us are much more free to put our work "out there".

Where's the link?

Where's the link?

I'll post it tomorrow night. I have a long night tomorrow of being on my laptop proofing, reviewing, transcribing and hopefully plotting out the third issue.