• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE WINNING STRATEGY

17 posts in this topic

1. Do not harbor sinister designs.

2. Diligently pursue the Path of Two-Swords-as-One.

3. Cultivate a wide range of interest in the arts.

4. Be knowledgeable in a variety of occupations.

5. Be discreet regarding one's commercial dealings.

6. Nature the ability to percive the truth in all matters.

7. Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eyes.

8. Do not be negligent, even in triffling matters.

9. Do not engage in useless activity.

1. ? Little vague here? Please elaborate. What type of "designs" are you talking about?

2. Two swords into one? Not following you here. In my 10+ years of professional life I have yet to see any swords brandished at corporate meetings. Or is this just symbolism, like the "Even Eagles need a Push" (of course that translates into higher sales revenue!)

3. Agreed.

4. I'd rather do one occupation extremely well, particularly one that is profitable.

5. Ok.

6. Check.

7. Unless it's something TJ has said about lawn furniture.

8. I've dated a few "triflin' hoes" in my life. Sage advice here.

9. Sort of pointless considering the forum it's being delivered on, wouldn't you say?

1. ? Little vague here? Please elaborate. What type of "designs" are you talking about?

2. Two swords into one? Not following you here. In my 10+ years of professional life I have yet to see any swords brandished at corporate meetings. Or is this just symbolism, like the "Even Eagles need a Push" (of course that translates into higher sales revenue!)

3. Agreed.

4. I'd rather do one occupation extremely well, particularly one that is profitable.

5. Ok.

6. Check.

7. Unless it's something TJ has said about lawn furniture.

8. I've dated a few "triflin' hoes" in my life. Sage advice here.

9. Sort of pointless considering the forum it's being delivered on, wouldn't you say?

point #1 answer, clearly sinister ones

point #2 answer,offer and compromise

point #3 answer, yes agreed.

point #4 answer,key word knowledgeable

point #5 answer.yes always wise

point #6 answer,hard but noble

point #7 answer, don't use just one of the five senses

point #8 answer, indeed

point #9 answer ,key word useless

its for winning that it's read.

There's a whole lot more to it than just winning. There are lots of great parables on dealing with conflict, facing challenges and critical thinking.

But that's not the reason I had to read it (the first time). When I was in college I took a MA class for easy PE credit. I had already been training for 5 years. The college had a policy that every class had to have a written test of some sort. So, the instructor would give you a few questions and tell you to find the answers in the Book of Five Rings. The questions were real world situations and you would have to give solutions based on Musashi's writings.

I have two different translations of this book. Both the same but different...

Another book along these lines that I've enjoyed is Zen In The Martial Arts by Joe Hayms. Quick reading -- food for thought.