• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed on this art.

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys all help is appreciated.

I am wanting to know what you think.

Is this real or a repro.I bought out the back stock of a defunct comic shop in OKC and found this. It is about 10x12 on poster board .

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Well... I can tell you that the image is a tracing of a popular Superman image (by Neal Adams, right?) that was used a bunch in the 70's.

Tim Sale would have been 30 in 1986...

I just can't see him tracing an old Superman image to make a poster for a comic shop...

So, I'd say it's by someone else.

Artists do stuff like this for comic shops all the time. They buy their comics just like anyone else. The shop will want a sign so they ask the customer that knows how to draw. The shop usually tells the artist what they want. If they want a traced Neal Adams image, the artists will do what the shop wants. It seems early enough in Tim Sale's comic career that it's plausible. The only thing that makes it less plausible would be if Tim Sale never lived in OKC. I'd still try to seek out confirmation.

Darkchylde artist Randy Queen drew signs for a comic shop (now closed) in my area.

DG