• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

I love the art, concept, story and overall execution. Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion of course, but as you know opinions are like individual_without_enough_empathys: everyone has one. We'll be sure to PM you however if we think it merits your attention.

GFY huckster. Have fun trying to make some monie$$$

That's cool bro, but quite an inept and uneducated assessment of me. I've never sold a comic to anyone anywhere for anything. How about you Huckleberry?

But I'll just get back to enjoying the comic, won't be dignifying any more of your inane responses and prattle. I know your MO is usually to be a dooshnozzle in the forums so have at it.

Good call, n00b. Keep pumping the spec hype. Hope all your dreams come true.

Hugs and kisses!

Sneak preview...#5 cover OA:

tumblr_ml5yr9AKZe1qciqrso1_1280.jpg

Hrmm for some reason I am not digging this cover does not fit in with the rest of the art style ... seems a bit too cartoony/Disney evil villainish for my taste ...

I haven't had the pleasure of reading issue one yet, but from what I have seen the art reminds me a lot of Venture Brothers. Does the story have a 60/70s feel to it?

The story is reminiscent of an older generation in comics. I can't put my finger specifically on why that is except to say that the art, storyline and pacing are very in step with comics I grew up reading in the 70s.

I'm sure other folks have their take on it, some may like it as much as I do whereas others clearly don't. That said, I think the best way to get a grip on it is to read issue #1 yourself and see if it appeals to you.

For less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks you surely can't go wrong. :wink:

That is unless you're a tired, old curmudgeon that loves to bash and badmouth every new title like a broken record instead of actually being witty and insightful. I doubt that's the case for you however.

I haven't had the pleasure of reading issue one yet, but from what I have seen the art reminds me a lot of Venture Brothers. Does the story have a 60/70s feel to it?

Yes. I've posted before that I dug the '70s Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic in the cover fonts and overall design...very Alex Toth influenced. It's one reason the book appealed to me. FG isn't anything revolutionary, but I think it's a fun concept with some killer art. I see skill in the book. The art is a big draw for me, and I rarely buy comics just for the art. Looking forward to the next issue.

Yes. I've posted before that I dug the '70s Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic in the cover fonts and overall design...very Alex Toth influenced. It's one reason the book appealed to me. FG isn't anything revolutionary, but I think it's a fun concept with some killer art. I see skill in the book. The art is a big draw for me, and I rarely buy comics just for the art. Looking forward to the next issue.

+1. Pretty much hit it on the head for me.

What is it about this book that you guys like? Read it today, wanted to love it. Didn't. It's basically Ben10 with 5 victorian-era archetypes. And sometimes the powers don't work right, like Greatest American Hero?

Somebody hit me with a PM if this book gets good.

Hey, fingh. :hi:

I got the Indiana Jones vibe from the book... with a dash of James Bond thrown in. I suppose it's just a matter of tastes. For example: I have a jones for post-apocalyptic stories, so I like Blackacre. That certainly doesn't go for everyone here. :grin:

What is it about this book that you guys like? Read it today, wanted to love it. Didn't. It's basically Ben10 with 5 victorian-era archetypes. And sometimes the powers don't work right, like Greatest American Hero?

I got the Indiana Jones vibe from the book... with a dash of James Bond thrown in. I suppose it's just a matter of tastes. For example: I have a jones for post-apocalyptic stories, so I like Blackacre. That certainly doesn't go for everyone here. :grin:

I asked because a lot of times I don't like first issues, but if the concept is good, sometimes it is worth coming back to. Most of the series that I really, really like, however (Planetary, MP, Fell, Goon) there is an instantaneous hook. I am ready for another book like MP. I really like Saga, but it is not quite there for me.

However, with the huckster hype machine grinding away with 50 page threads before the first issues drops, it is hard to get any decent intel. Anything other than gushing reviews potentially hurts the resale value on the Phantom variant 20 issue pre-order. So you get a lot of "I don't know, I just really like it all. You know the whole feel is just, wow, hard to put in words." :eyeroll:

So, sorry to everyone about actually being underwhelmed with the first issue. I trust you will all pump enough vague, yet enthusiastic praise to keep those Ebay sales popping. (thumbs u

Get ready boys, girls and other genders for my booty shot of the day:

MY_BOOTY_04132013.jpg

Once again it was a pleasure to see Frank in full effect today at the signing...he's gotta be one of the most friendly and approachable folks I've met and I'm sure by now he's getting the heebie jeebies from the amount of times I've shown up already...LMAO! If the material wasn't so off the chain, I wouldn't bother...so if you're creeped the f-out Frank take it as a high compliment from me....I don't stalk too often!

Story keeps getting better and if I'm not revealing more than I should there's already been 'preliminary' discussion of how to transition from issue 5 to 6 and beyond. That should get folks in a tizzy for sure....

This comic reminds me of all the things that attracted me as a kid and kept my interest as an adult. It's nostalgic and at the same time contemporary and cool.

Frank and Chris: you've got a huge winner on your hands and I'm privileged to see it developing from the very start. Keep on truckin' you two because as long as you keep pumping out quality like this you've got my $ and attention. :)

Pretty sweet group shot.

I asked because a lot of times I don't like first issues, but if the concept is good, sometimes it is worth coming back to. Most of the series that I really, really like, however (Planetary, MP, Fell, Goon) there is an instantaneous hook. I am ready for another book like MP. I really like Saga, but it is not quite there for me.

However, with the huckster hype machine grinding away with 50 page threads before the first issues drops, it is hard to get any decent intel. Anything other than gushing reviews potentially hurts the resale value on the Phantom variant 20 issue pre-order. So you get a lot of "I don't know, I just really like it all. You know the whole feel is just, wow, hard to put in words." :eyeroll:

So, sorry to everyone about actually being underwhelmed with the first issue. I trust you will all pump enough vague, yet enthusiastic praise to keep those Ebay sales popping. (thumbs u

This seems to be the latest popular insults to throw at members when the poster doesn't care for the book or series. God forbid others find a series fun or interesting. Back in the old days if you didn't like a comic series you just didn't participate in the thread but I suppose now we have to show everyone how awesome we are and poop all over their likes and good vibes.

Care on with the bashing. I'm sure your thoughts will continue in this thread for some time to come. (thumbs u

This seems to be the latest popular insults to throw at members when the poster doesn't care for the book or series. God forbid others find a series fun or interesting. Back in the old days if you didn't like a comic series you just didn't participate in the thread but I suppose now we have to show everyone how awesome we are and poop all over their likes and good vibes.

Care on with the bashing. I'm sure your thoughts will continue in this thread for some time to come. (thumbs u

Ha-Ha. This from the guy whose website exists solely to pump hot comics. :roflmao:

I love hot comics. I love good comics. My biggest problem is pumping these comics into a froth before they even come out. Then when they do come out, it's not OK to have a "Blah" reaction to it?

This is a chat board. Talking about these types of things is what chat boards are for. If you don't like it, come up with a cogent, and reasonable explanation why I am wrong. Fifty, seventy, one hundred page threads before a books comes out? For every new Image book? And now Oni and Dark Horse and Avatar?

The first one of these books that goes Locke and Key because the pilot didn't get picked up, or the cartoon blows is going to be a big blow to the new hype machine model. Hope everyone still continues to enjoy the stories and art.

I love how our explanations of why we enjoy the comic are simply not sufficient in some way and are vague. I didn't know we needed to drop a doctoral thesis in the threads to justify our tastes.

If you're looking for reference material, please read Professor seanfingerinhisass’s posts regarding Helheim and Sixth Gun. You’ll only get an A in his class if you meet him for extra-credit late at night with K-Y jelly and if you bring Manhattan projects to read to him after a rim-job.

142ij.jpg

I love how our explanations of why we enjoy the comic are simply not sufficient in some way and are vague. I didn't know we needed to drop a doctoral thesis in the threads to justify our tastes.

If you're looking for reference material, please read Professor seanfingerinhisass’s posts regarding Helheim and Sixth Gun. You’ll only get an A in his class if you meet him for extra-credit late at night with K-Y jelly and if you bring Manhattan projects to read to him after a rim-job.

142ij.jpg

lol Sweet meltdown fruitcake.

Why discuss something when you can pump, PUMP, PUMP it up.

Ha-Ha. This from the guy whose website exists solely to pump hot comics. :roflmao:

Untrue. It's comics, magic cards, video games, coins, sport cards and toys. Seriously, get your facts straight. :hi:

I know you peek from time to time. Don't deny it. :shy:

Edited by whetteon

Untrue. It's comics, magic cards, video games, coins, sport cards and toys. Seriously, get your facts straight. :hi:

I know you peek from time to time. Don't deny it. :shy:

:blush:

Why discuss something when you can pump, PUMP, PUMP it up.

What's good for the goose is always good for the gander. Why discuss things...when a MEME says it all. Kind of like:

I stand behind that assessment as well. :P

Did you have a sweet pre-order of those that I am taking a dump upon as well? :foryou:

Ask yourself which position has more intellectual honesty - a comic fan who doesn't like a comic, or a comic fan pump, pump, pumping a book that hasn't done anything other than frame out a story in a first issue.

And keep up with the ad hominem attacks. They are always funny.

Five weapons, five ghosts... what's next... ?

voltron-movie-giant-lion-robot.jpg

I like Five Weapons more. And that was written for kids. It's quite possible that I don't have enough wattage to plow through anything more complex.