• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THOR 134 story - Will it realize less complete on OCAL!

92 posts in this topic

Yeah, I agree that the seller would probably make more selling them individually, but I am also hopeful that an individual will purchase them and keep them together (though it is not likely). I love the Galactus splash.

What would the two splashes sell for if auctioned separately? $25,000 for the title page and $25,000 for the Galactus splash? If that is the case, then the seller was smart to sell the book in it's entirety. The Galactus splash, in particular, is amazing though, and I imagine that one selling for more than that.

I think both splashes are worth 40k each, minimum.

.....easy. This really is a classic story by many standards. The High Evolutionary concept is quite heady stuff and would translate well even today. Someone probably doesn't wish to involve themselves with the significant shipping hassles that individual sales of pages would entail. Can't blame them. It will be interesting to see if they turn up as someone's inventory in the future....as a semi purist, I kind of hope they stay together. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I notice that none of these pages are signed by Jack Kirby...does that mean this story was part of the art was never returned to him?

Over on WhatifKirby (http://www.whatifkirby.com/forums/thor-134-full-story) Hans came on to say the owner was a friend of the Kirbys and got it directly from them, which strikes me as odd seeing as the work is not only unsigned but it already sold once at Heritage in 2005. Perhaps he meant to say previous owner? Either way if I was a friend of the Kirby family I'd have asked Jack to sign each page to take the curse off it, that's for sure. I could have sworn this issue wasn't on any of the warehouse lists.

I can't seem to find Thor 134 in the Heritage archives. What did it sell for in 2005?

Hans said that even though it is recorded as sold on Heritage that the sale never actually went through and that the seller purchased the book directly from Kirby and is the one currently auctioning it off.

I'm sure the consignor could get more money for the book by breaking it up. That said, considering that the book has 2 good splashes (the inking on the Thor splash bugs me a bit though) and a bunch of mediocre panel pages, it probably makes sense to keep it whole rather than unleash a bunch of ho-hum pages onto the market just to liberate the splashes.

I'm sure the consignor could get more money for the book by breaking it up. That said, considering that the book has 2 good splashes (the inking on the Thor splash bugs me a bit though) and a bunch of mediocre panel pages, it probably makes sense to keep it whole rather than unleash a bunch of ho-hum pages onto the market just to liberate the splashes.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is to keep the book whole and buried for a few more years and then sell off the pages individually as the Kirby market continues to mature, thus realizing an even higher margin.

Yes, I think if a dealer buys it then it will hit the market quickly but there are other buyers that may think of it as a more of a long term buy/hold/sell.

It will really just depends on who buys it obviously.

(the inking on the Thor splash bugs me a bit though)

lol

The inking on the whole story bugs the living heck out of me!

lol

I actually think the Galactus splash is nicely inked. I agree about the rest of the book, though.

In most cases, yes, more money is realized when stories/books get broken up. Mastro put this to the test when they ran concurrent auctions for ASM #31 back in 2006; one auction for the entire book and another with the book broken up. Whichever finished highest is how the book would get sold. Not surprisingly, the sum of the individual pages won.

In this case, however, I'm not entirely sure. The lot is already at $135K. Price each page individually...how much do you come up with? $135K seems quite high already.

It's likely that those who are invested in Kirby art will spin whatever this goes for as a "discounted" price. Again, I'm not so sure...this looks more like "premium" to me than "discount". But I have no agenda in driving values higher, so take that for what it's worth.

In most cases, yes, more money is realized when stories/books get broken up. Mastro put this to the test when they ran concurrent auctions for ASM #31 back in 2006; one auction for the entire book and another with the book broken up. Whichever finished highest is how the book would get sold. Not surprisingly, the sum of the individual pages won.

In this case, however, I'm not entirely sure. The lot is already at $135K. Price each page individually...how much do you come up with? $135K seems quite high already.

It's likely that those who are invested in Kirby art will spin whatever this goes for as a "discounted" price. Again, I'm not so sure...this looks more like "premium" to me than "discount". But I have no agenda in driving values higher, so take that for what it's worth.

Have to agree. The price is getting so high it's heading into risky territory for a dealer to purchase in order to break up and sell.

....don't be surprised to see the Galactus splash at San Diego for 135 K......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u