• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Transference from back of comic to board

12 posts in this topic

Hi

Im trying to get some information on this subject. Bare with me while I try to explain it. Ive noticed on some modern comics with dark back covers (like black or purple) that sometimes the color especially around the staples and bottom back corner has a white dot or white small area. Does anyone know what this? I have noticed small dark spots on the board especially on the top part but I don't know why the area around the staples or bottom corner is missing a tiny bit of color. Am I losing it or is there a problem? It isnt with all the books just a select group. For example one issue can have it and then the next one doesnt. I thought it might be the acidity in the book but I am using acid free boards and I do change them out when they start to discolor. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

I think I know what you are refering to with the tiny white 'dots'. The corner dot probably came off the rack like that. The staple dots, may have been caused by some slight stress but probably like that off the rack. I think what is happening is you are suddenly tuned into this 'flaw' = it was there all the time. I see these 'dots' on books with 9.8 labels so I wouldn't worry about it.

How is it caused? And what can be done to prevent it? Do you know how much it would affect the grade?

It will probably knock it down a step in the 9.8+ grades. Not so much in 9.4 or less because you have additional defects to factor in.

It's from the staple causing a raised dent on the surface of the paper. This dimple is given extra contact with the backing board.

If you are using a backing board with a matte finish, it will cause the ink in this area to be rubbed off with basically a sandpaper type of action.

If you are using backing boards with both a slick and dull side, make sure to use the slick side against the comic as it will have less friction to cause problems like this.

Fullbacks and Halfbacks are matte finish and I don't use them on newer books with full coverage ink on the back covers because of this specific problem. If I do use them, I double up the board with a cheap glossy one next to the comic.

Thanks very much Dice for the information. I thought it was something major that would knock the book down to very fine so I was a little concerned. Most of my moderns would fall into the 9.4-9.8 category so as long as it doesn't affect that I can live with it. Thanks again for your help. I will try to stop obsessing over this haha.