• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's it worth: Spider-Man Platinum 1 CGC 9.4 W pgs

9 posts in this topic

I have been offered a Spider-Man Platinum 1 CGC 9.4 W pgs for $175 shipped. This is a book that I would like to own in either 9.4 or 9.6 at some time and wanted to see if you guys think that I should take the offer. Is it better to wait a bit and hope that the price comes down?

Thanks,

DAM

I'd try an get the seller to come down a little. Have you checked out ebay sales of this book? I haven't, but I would. Try and get him to go lower.

On the flip side:

If this is a book you really want, go for it! OS Guide has it at $150 in OS 9.4.

$150 + CGC Grading + shipping = $175. If you can afford to do it, and you want it, get it.

Hope that helps you out! crazy.gifsmile.gif

Chris

I did not do a thourogh search, but if you type in Spider-Man Platinum on ebay's site, you will find someone trying to get 150 for a 9.0 with white pages (250 BIN, which is nuts), or an 8.5 CGC of that book is currently going for 61. In the past few weeks, a 9.2 went for a bit less than 80 and a 9.4 did not get bid on with a 200 starting bid (a 9.0 went for a bit over 40, but well...that a very fine/near mint book...a far cry from a solid near mint).

If the 175 includes shipping AND insurance (which will at least $3.20 if shipping is through the USPS), I would say you are not getting a bargain, but are certainly NOT getting taken for a ride.

Regards

Christopher H.

Wait until people come to their senses and realize this book isn't worth more than $20, then buy.

I have been offered a Spider-Man Platinum 1 CGC 9.4 W pgs for $175 shipped.

I decided to look up the information on this version in the OS Price Guide. According to the OS Price Guide there were only 10,000 copies of the platinum version printed, and sold exclusivly to retailers. The print run and the availablility of the platinum version are the reasons why the book value is at $150 for NM 9.4 RAW. The $150 is more of an average price though, probably between the highest price and the lowest price.

This is a book that I would like to own in either 9.4 or 9.6 at some time and wanted to see if you guys think that I should take the offer.

IMHO, the book is not worth $150, even if there are only 10,000 copies. In other words, I wouldn't give $150 for a Platinum Spider-Man 1. Part of my reasoning is that there are other versions of the same book that can be purchased for a fraction of the Platinum version, and the other part of my reason is demand. Could there be more supply for Spider-Man 1 than demand? On the other hand, the platinum version is the ultimate version of Spider-Man 1, and anyone would RATHER have the Platinum version over other versions, but I would guess that most of us would pass at $150. There are people out there that probably would pay that kind of money for the book, but certainly not the majority of collectors.

Is it better to wait a bit and hope that the price comes down?

Either wait for the right time or try to get the person to come down to a price that you are more comfortable with. Never hurts to make an offer, the worst he/she will do is say no.

P.S. - Remember Jen's post? Don't loose focus of the goals you have set my friend. wink.gif