• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Record Price for a Restored Book

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the highest price ever paid for a restored book is? Has one ever cracked the $100K mark? I ask because, speaking of crack, I saw this auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2262601115&rd=1.

With Charlie Sheen's Action 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2257738949&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT commanding a mere $45K, with a Batman 1 9.0 Slight (P) OW/W going for a mere $15K on Mastronet a while back, with even the friggin' Mile High Marvel 1 trading in the five figures, is this price tag even remotely in the ballpark?

The Tec 27 at $129,000 seems like a lot of money for only a 7.5 PLOD?

I was thinking the same thing. Metropolis has a restored 8.0 for 51 grand, and an unrestored 2.5 for 42,000. If I had the scratch, I'd buy one of those, not this one.

Actually the reason for the high price of the auction is that the seller is a scammer. Someone else was selling that 'Tec 27 on eBay earlier this month (And once or twice last month) The Seller's reserve was around $50,000 and was never met, with internet bidding topping out around $38,000. After relisting several times, last I heard the seller was talking about selling the book privately to an individual for $42,000. I don't know if the sale ended up going through, but the buyer was not a comic collector (just a Batman fan) and had no immediate plans to resell the comic.

This auction is just a bad rip-off and the price was probably set where it was because the seller probably doesn't even know what restoration means.

As for the highest price ever paid for a restored book, I'm not sure. The highest price I am aware of would technically be the $200,000+ (or whatever the price was, I've heard different numbers) spent on the Mile High Superman 1 which does have some work done to it. However, I think that book was given a blue label by the CGC so the highest sale I am aware of for a purple label CGC book is the Neat Stuff Action 1 9.0 that sold for around $120,000 late last year. There may be sales higher than that, but those are the largest ones I'm aware of.

Steve B. bought the Edgar Church More Fun #52 for $115,000. That's obviously before CGC was around, of course. Not sure what the purple label high is...

The MH More Fun #52 is not officially a restored book since it was awarded with a blue CGC label with resto notes itemized. I am sure the colour of the label was a significant factor in the eventual price since I think it went for approx. $160K. If it had been given a purple label, I am sure it would have problems cracking $80K similar to the Adventure #40 hitting $60K..

Collectors and investors are generally only paying attention to the colour of the labels and basically ignoring a lot of the resto notes. 893frustrated.gif