• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Original Art?

29 posts in this topic

Gene,

I know you can insure pretty high amounts through USPS, as I have insured items up to 4 or 5K that way. Registered is much cheaper, and arguably safer, but it sometimes is slow.

Hari,

Thanks for the heads up. Would you feel comfortable sending even higher priced artwork ($10,000+) through the USPS? What is the preferred method of shipping for these items among collectors/dealers? I've always had big-ticket items shipped to me via next-day FedEx or UPS, but now that you've highlighted the liability limitation, I'm wondering if I should be looking for an alternative method. Unfortunately, the people I usually deal with live much too far away to arrange an in-person pick-up. Appreciate any further insights you have on this.

Thanks,

Gene

I really haven't insured things through FedEx because I can virtually track the package every step of the way. I have never had a problem but I guess it would only take one lost shipment for me to change my tune. I think most of the big gun dealers and collectors send through FedEx. I know Heritage does and they tell me all their material is insured. They would be a good person to question regarding FedEx liability issues. I just can't see myself forking over my artwork to the guys at my local post office and think they will do just as good a job as FedEx.

Gene and Stephen,

My understanding is Registered Mail is the safest, as they have the contents under "lock and key" for the whole trip, and the insurance is therefore cheaper. For USPS Priority, it is basically 10 bucks per 1000 dollar value, so an item that's valued 5K would cost 50 bucks to insure. Many people I know send up to 5K via Priority. Art valued more than that can be sent via Registered, which sometimes takes longer to arrive but is cheaper. I think people shy away from FedEx, primarily because of the 500 dollar limited liability on art.

Another way to go is to just have your collection fully insured by a third party (i.e. CIA). With these policies, items that you ship (or lose or get stolen, etc.) are fully covered under your policy, so you don't have to buy insurance when you ship anything. For larger collections, and those who ship art a lot or travel frequently with their art, getting a policy to cover the collection is the best solution.

Gene and Stephen,

My understanding is Registered Mail is the safest, as they have the contents under "lock and key" for the whole trip, and the insurance is therefore cheaper. For USPS Priority, it is basically 10 bucks per 1000 dollar value, so an item that's valued 5K would cost 50 bucks to insure. Many people I know send up to 5K via Priority. Art valued more than that can be sent via Registered, which sometimes takes longer to arrive but is cheaper. I think people shy away from FedEx, primarily because of the 500 dollar limited liability on art.

Another way to go is to just have your collection fully insured by a third party (i.e. CIA). With these policies, items that you ship (or lose or get stolen, etc.) are fully covered under your policy, so you don't have to buy insurance when you ship anything. For larger collections, and those who ship art a lot or travel frequently with their art, getting a policy to cover the collection is the best solution.

Hari,

you beat me to the punch literally by seconds. Registered mail is the way to go. Everytime a person handles the package, they have to sign for it. If it wasn't a relatively safe way to ship, CGC would do it another way. They dealing with books worth thousands of dollars and if it has to take a few extra days to get the package, then the piece of mind that it will arrive is worth the wait. Granted, I haven't bought a piece of art that was big money, but i learned from comics that registered is best.

and insuring through a third party will also add reassurance. Being that they cover mail damge (as far as i know) , things should be covered. Course, it's not 100% about getting the money back, if it was about the money, we wouldn't have bought the art in the first place.

Hari,

Thanks for the advice. I actually have an insurance policy with C.I.A. and forgot about the coverage there. Although, since $5K+ items need to be itemized, I suppose I would have to add these items to my itemized list before having the seller ship them. Sounds like the combination of C.I.A. insurance and FedEx shipping might be the way to go then, with registered mail a viable back-up.

Regards,

Gene

Sounds good. BTW, there are some questions being asked in the "Early Steranko Appreciation Thread" in the "Silver Comics" section that are begging for your attention!

It isn't about the money at all, but unfortunately it's our only recourse. That is, until FedEx, USPS and UPS start insuring art for art smile.gif

"The USPS lost my Killing Joke page but they found me a cool Ditko Spidey cover"

BTW, for anyone sending/receiving framed artwork in the mail, I cannot recommend the STRONGBOX highly enough (if you do a search online, you'll see what I am talking about). They're extremely rugged cardboard shipping boxes with a thick interior foam "coffin" inside that completely surrounds and protects the artwork (think you can also buy a deluxe model with additional interior reinforcement). They're not cheap (think they start around $50-$60 for the typical sizes and go up well over $150 for certain sizes), but if you want to make sure your expensive framed artwork arrives safely, it's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.