• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Original Art?

29 posts in this topic

Best shipping I've ever received was ... well hell, I don't remember what it was wrapped in... or how it was shipped... but it had the art sandwiched between these two big "art boards".

Vague enough?

What are you shipping?!?! That's the real question!! grin.gif

What are you shipping?!?! That's the real question!! grin.gif

Actually, my brother is holding on to my black panther v2 page, from #41 or so, that has Iron Man in the new stealth armor battling the black panther. And now that I'm all settled into my new place, he's shipping it back to me. So...I'm a little worried that he'll mess it up frown.gif

I bought a bunch of stuff directly from David Mack recently. He shipped in a double FedEx box. The inner smaller box braced the art flat against the interior of the outer box, which meant a total of four layers of cardboard were in place without a lot of weight.

The ONLY way to ship art is to use masonite board. Virtually indestructable and fairly cheap. I go to HomeDepot and buy a sheet of it for $8 and cut the board into 12 pieces so I can ship 6 items. The best money you will spend on shipping.

The ONLY way to ship art is to use masonite board. Virtually indestructable and fairly cheap. I go to HomeDepot and buy a sheet of it for $8 and cut the board into 12 pieces so I can ship 6 items. The best money you will spend on shipping.

What thickness of masonite board do you use?

Hmmmm, good question. The HD I go to only has the one thickness (about the same thickness as the old clipboards). You certainly should buy board that you cannot bend. Everytime I go to FedEx to ship artwork, I get kudos from the staff for using it.

PS. If you are shipping anything of serious value (and all artwork is unique!), consider spending the extra few bucks for FedEx. I'm not bashing USPS but I've had my share of headaches with them compared to FedEx which has always been a professional organization to deal with. My two cents....

Hmmmm, good question. The HD I go to only has the one thickness (about the same thickness as the old clipboards). You certainly should buy board that you cannot bend. Everytime I go to FedEx to ship artwork, I get kudos from the staff for using it.

I think it comes in 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch thickness. It probably doesn't matter, but obviously, the 1/4 inch is a lot easier to bend.

Hi Stephen,

I agree with masonite.. it's the best protection for the art, and is cheap.

Isn't there a value limit on FedEx though? If something is more valuable (I think 500 bucks is the limit), you won't be able to insure it. Then, you'll need to do USPS Priority or Registered.

Best,

Isn't there a value limit on FedEx though? If something is more valuable (I think 500 bucks is the limit), you won't be able to insure it. Then, you'll need to do USPS Priority or Registered.

You're right - I just checked the FedEx website and both artwork and collector's items can only be insured to a maximum of $500. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Does anybody know if UPS has similar restrictions (their rules & restrictions aren't as clear cut as FedEx's)? And are there definitely no exemptions for artwork or collectibles under the USPS insurance policy?

Yup, masonite is the way to go. I have never seen a piece of art get damaged when it was shipped b/t two pieces that are bigger than the page of art itself.

However, when the pros ship their art they just throw it in a FedEx box and slap a lable on it. No support -- no padding. And it doesn't matter how man pieces they are shipping -- 1 or 200. They just pack the bok as full as possible and ship it.

I saw a rep open a FedEx box and pour out over 200 pages. That box must have weighed 15 pounds. Must be nice having your publisher pick up your shipping bill.

I have insured through FedEx for larger amounts and it does get pricey. The problem I have with USPS is the inability to track packages (even overnight packages). I just had an expensive piece of art sent to me Express Mail via USPS and it did not arrive the following day. When I went to the USPS website and logged in the tracking number it did not recognize the number as being sent. shocked.gifshocked.gif

I then found out USPS does not update their website until the wee hours of the morning and even when I did check back it only listed it as being mailed from the sender's postoffice!

It finally arrived 2 days late with no explanation or apology from the USPS. Since then I have sworn them off.

I have insured through FedEx for larger amounts and it does get pricey.

Hi Stephen,

I know you can insure FedEx packages up to $50,000, but does it do a whit of good if the artwork is lost or damaged? According to their website:

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture, collectors' items, and customized or personalized musical instruments.

11. Collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See "Prohibited Items" section.)

I have also been receiving FedEx shipments of artwork where the seller has paid a lot of money to insure the contents, but I wonder if we aren't just all pouring our money down the drain if FedEx is limiting their liability to $500? Or is there a way to get around this?

Gene