• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody swap comics for comics often?

21 posts in this topic

In 2002 I did a bunch of upgrading of the issues in the runs I collect. Quite often when I upgraded, I thought to myself "I can probably use my other copy in a trade sometime," but I've still never tried to trade yet.

A few weeks ago Murph posted a want list for some guy who had a bunch of CGC 8.5 to 9.2 copies who wanted to trade them for CGC 9.4 or better copies. I thought this sounded rather far-fetched; how often are you lucky enough to find somebody with a 9.4 or 9.6 who wants to trade it for a 9.0 or 9.2? The 9.0 or 9.2 would have to be a fairly uncommon comic for most people to want to do that.

So...does anybody do comic-for-comic swaps very often, or know other people who do this? Does anyone buy books they either already have or don't want to begin with for the sole purpose of eventually trading them?

I trade A LOT... But then I am a store as well... (fear me and my cloak of brick and mortar)...

On hard to find stuff I would always prefer to trade, and do so with abandon. Ask Donut how much he paid for his WWT 15 to complete his set... Not a thin dime. The whole deal was trade... In fact, I have traded far more price variants than I have sold (and I have sold more than a few).

I think some of this comes from my original art collecting, where most of the choice pieces are NEVER for sale, and can only be had with trade. A lot of guys will deal by saying "The only way I will part with this page is for one of these three other pages" and you go see if you can find a way to get one of those, which usually leads you in search of something else, and so on... Part of why that works is that there aren't any dupes, so the guy looking for the splash to ASM 149 is not going to 'get another copy'. You know he will still be there when the time comes...

But yeah, personally, I LOVE to trade... maybe it goes back to that deal in the coatroom... tongue.gif

I like to keep a stash of multiple copies for trading. I've gotten

to know quite a few collectors over eBay; most of these guys

would never sell their good stuff for any price, but they are usually

willing to trade if you offer something of very high quality. Recently

set up a deal with another collector: I would sell him a top notch file

copy, which I knew he wanted, if he would let me win an auction.

Unfortunately, Geppi decided to bid on the same book and beat

the XXXX out of our wallets so it didn't work out...

I have a local dealer that trades with me on occasion. He is a dealer after all and gives me 75% guide on ANYTHING HE NEEDS. ( That's the only catch.) But, I get to pick and choose anything I want and it costs me 100% guide. I would much rather do this than bother with selling on e-bay. Sure it's a great way to sell your comics, but it really takes a lot of work and I'd rather do what I'm doing now in my spare time.

This Saturday, I may be trading for VF's of Fantastic Four #1 and a Justice League #1 for a bunch of DC's I never really cared if I had in my collection or not. The books I'll be getting are restored but who can pay $8000.00 for an unrestored copy of FF 1. I sure can't. A great way to get stuff you're excited about without spending any money.

I also realize that trading with a fellow collector would be more advantageous but it's difficult finding someone who has what you want let alone finding one that also wants what you have to trade. (Did that come out right?)

I trade all the time..and for the 1000th time..that was a want list..it wasn't a trade list..WANT is the key word here. When you post a want list you expect people to email you and say "hey, I've got that..what are you offering?" It sounds like he got some deals done with a few people on the boards anyways..

Now if only I can figure out what that damned reserve is on the Cap 117.. mad.gif

Brian

Actually I am considering trading again. I used to a lot with collectors I knew back in Boston. Know zero collectors here. I've got a nice little pile of F/VF or slightly nicer Jungle, Jumbo, Sheena type books. A few may grade higher and I will probably join CGC and use my first 3 submissions for that Major GA and a couple of the best of these. Then I shall start seeking trades. It may be fun.

Would you rather trade comics, or sell them and then buy ones you want? If you'd rather trade them, why is that?

If anybody reading this would prefer to trade than sell, I'm interested in hearing why.

I have yet to trade comic for comic either. If I find a good opportunity to upgrade a book I have, I simply buy the better book, then sell the lesser copy to offset what I paid. On harder to find books I might keep the second one around.

Would you rather trade comics, or sell them and then buy ones you want? If you'd rather trade them, why is that?

Overall I like to trade more than sell. Reasons are simple. You get to know people better by trading than by selling. Often made a night of it. I would bring my books and they would bring their books. We'd go out for dinner and while at the table would start looking at each other's books. Now they always stayed in the mylars during dine time! And when the food arrived the books got put away. wink.gif . Then, after dinner, back to one or the other's house and get into some real trading. Great fun.

On the more direct (aka mail) trades, basically I already have money tied up in books. If I sell them and then deposit the money until what I want comes around...well, I am a realist. That money is probably gonna be spent on dvds, good dinners, wine or whatever. So if I retain the books until I can trade the value will just go up (at least with this type of book - rare to see nice mid-high grade GA that are already reasonably guided go down). Of course the vaule of what I am trading FOR will also go up - but things even out nicely. I don't have to expend cash, I still have my trading books to peruse one-last-time. Hopefully they go to someone who actually wants and likes them. And I get books I want an like.

Seems an ideal situation! grin.gif

I've done a couple of trades-- the advantage for me is I don't have to actually rationalize spending hundreds of real dollars on funny books! If I originally bought something for a not-quite-so-outrageous price, and it has since appreciated in value, I can trade it for something that would otherwise require a silly outlay of funds.

I'm now thinking about selling a few books and keeping the proceeds as monopoly money to plow back into the hobby. But I imagine once I get the cash I'll regard that as something requiring a more "responsible" approach.

Ah, the mind games we play!

I'd rather trade, cause when I upgrade..it's just easier to use the lower book to trade for something else I want. I've traded a few of my ASM upgrades for Cap books. Picked up a Cap 100 9.6 for an ASM 126 9.6, ASM 64 9.4 and 100 dollars. Also, have gotten many a pre-100 ASM book via trading my lower grades for a book I don't have..

Brian

most "collectors" won't admit buyin books to deal or trade them. Depending on the book, I sometimes do this. Willing to trade? I am. I often do trade + cash deals and have done several with board members. All have come through so no problems with people on here (yet). Now I am sure u will see a negative post or 2 about me but sometimes u can't believe everything u read............... grin.gif

most "collectors" won't admit buyin books to deal or trade them. Depending on the book, I sometimes do this.

I definitely believe in this. I mean, we have knowledge of comics, know grades and values etc. If I come across a good deal on a book I will always get it, regardless of the genre or if I collect it. I know that one day it will be copnverted into a book I slip into a nice fresh mylar for my own collection.

I definitely believe in this. I mean, we have knowledge of comics, know grades and values etc. If I come across a good deal on a book I will always get it

kind of like how Murphy Boy took the seller of the Cap #100 in 9.6 for a ride? hahahahaha. Good job Murphy......you are learning. grin.gif

Yeah, I didn't pull the Gman though and offer 200 dollars plus a Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 for it..someday I hope to be able to lowball like that ... :\

Anyways, I've gotten ASM 77, 80, 83, 86, and 92 all via separate trades with diff people. It's much easier then selling them and then going and buying the book..

Brian

What did you trade for all those Spideys you got, and what made you want to get rid of the books you traded?

That's my problem...I'm a packrat and don't want to give anything up. frown.gif Did you trade off upgrades?

kind of like how Murphy Boy took the seller of the Cap #100 in 9.6 for a ride?

Naaah. It took me 22 years, tens of thousands of dollars (am actually afraid to total it all if I could - that Action 1 alone was a 30K hit) and the time and money to study with a major restorer to learn what I have learned. If a flea market seller tries selling me a VG Spidey 5 for $25 and I end up bargaining to $15, then I KNOW they probably paid a few bucks for it. They make a good profit. I make more profit. But that profit comes out of the years of studying, getting ripped off and learning. smile.gif

I consider it a fair trade.

When I returned to comics, I was buying new books and collecting modern back issues of a few series. I would see cool silver age books in display cases, but never thought to buy one because the price tags were too high (i.e., not cover price or less). One day, while looking for some back issues, I found a shop with a long line in front of it. I hadn't known, but Matt Groening was there, signing the first of the Simpson comics. Being a major Simpsons fan, I stood in the line and got the limit of 4 books, all signed by Matt. It was near the end of his time, so he chatted with me a bit, drew pictures on all the books (Bart, Homer, etc.) and I was a happy fangirl.

The next day, I went to my regular shop and mentioned it to the owner. He became obsessed with getting one of my signed copies. Not to sell, he just wanted it for himself -- of course he was a Simpsons fan, too. Aren't we all? He told me I could take $45 worth of books in trade. I pointed to a Justice League of America #7 listed at $35 and said, "Including that one?" Yup. So I traded one of the Simpsons comics for the JLA 7 and some other issues. It was the first silver DC I'd owned since I was a kid (though that issue was well before my time) and it was the spark that fired my passion for collecting from that era. One of the best deals I'd ever made. And I still have that JLA 7 and 3 signed Simsons #1 with little drawings by Matt Groening.

-- Joanna