• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art Database - now live!

16 posts in this topic

www.ComicArtDatabase.com

Group,

We have put the finishing touches on our new Original Comic Art Database and it

is now live to the community. Please take a look and help if you can or just

enjoy perusing. A lot of people from the Collector's Society board have done

beta testing so thanks to all of them again.

This is a database by the community and for the community. We can now track all

aspects of Comic Art in a database and have this information consolidated in one

place. We can track prices, owners, anecdotes, sales transactions, etc. You have

a portfolio of your art as well as Galleries of Ownership to view and share.

We have just reached 500 pages cataloged so far (with scans, prices, etc). If everyone can upload their scans just once they will be there forever, no matter who owns it in the future. This is a database from which galleries and portfolio, etc can

be built and added to over the years.

Please join us at ComicArtDatabase (or ComicArtDB.com) and help share scans and info for the whole community to use and enjoy.

www.ComicArtDatabase.com

Thanks everyone...the site will always be FREE.

Nick (Admin)

Pretty nice idea. The prices attached that I saw were auction prices and not prices the purchaser made through a dealer. It will be great to see once it fills up. I don't know a lot about setting up websites but it would be nice if each comic had its own folder with all existing pages in that folder instead of an endless scroll of images of pages one after the other.

Thanks for taking the initiative and building this site...it will be great to watch develop

Ok, I added a couple, one thing I noticed is that it doesn't put the art in chronological order it is added by the order it is added to the site. The site should group together pages from the same book so that it reads like a comic in numerical order starting with the cover. This would be much more legible and helpful in seeing what exists.

The other thing is I actually felt a little weird about adding the price paid, but did it anyway, because I think it will be helpful for other buyers. I think I'll wait before I add anymore.

Again great idea, I'm glad someone I'd doing it

Pretty nice idea. The prices attached that I saw were auction prices and not prices the purchaser made through a dealer. It will be great to see once it fills up. I don't know a lot about setting up websites but it would be nice if each comic had its own folder with all existing pages in that folder instead of an endless scroll of images of pages one after the other.

Thanks for taking the initiative and building this site...it will be great to watch develop

I would love to see it set up that way. I am sure it would be a HUGE undertaking. It would be very cool and user friendly to be able to look at a run of books, say it had 66 issues and at a glance see that issue 10 had 12 pages accounted for. Issue 23 had 7 pages accounted for and so on.

That would be a popular layout that I am sure would generate A LOT of traffic hm

I would love to see it set up that way. I am sure it would be a HUGE undertaking. It would be very cool and user friendly to be able to look at a run of books, say it had 66 issues and at a glance see that issue 10 had 12 pages accounted for. Issue 23 had 7 pages accounted for and so on.

That would be a popular layout that I am sure would generate A LOT of traffic hm

Anyone take note of the new CAF feature?

It looks like they have teamed with comics.org and you can now archive you pages linking them to the comic books they are printed in. And you can also suggest an archive of someone else's pages.

Looking forward to reading Bill's press release on this new feature.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

As far as seeing all the Pages for any issue...we have that already. Just click on any comic title (they are hyperlinked anytime you see them) and you can see what issues we have and what pages from that issue in sorted order. See the sample below of Fantastic Four:

http://www.comicartdatabase.com/Title/Details/1

Even better, if you click Title Search from the top title bar, you will see list of ALL titles on ComicArtDatabase.com as well as how many total pages from that series are in our database!

http://www.comicartdatabase.com/Title/Index

Please check it out and let me know if that is what a few of you were looking for. In any case, if it is not or you have other suggestions, we are still actively coding and we are creating this for the community so keep the suggestions coming. We are enjoying building this and we hope everyone sees the value and enjoyment potential. It is free and it is for everyone. All I can ask is that everyone posts their art to share with the community and help make the database a success (after all what is the down side to sharing at least the image and the fact that the page exist and was not destroyed, etc).

Thanks again,

Nick (Admin)

ComicArtDatabase.com

Hi Kat,

Can you please try and upload a comic strip again? I now added an Art Type to the dropdown list (when you create the page) called STRIP. If you select Strip, it should not stretch the landscape property of the comic strip now.

Can you please let me know if it works now for you or please e-mail me a scan of the strip and the strip info (title, artist, date) and I would love to give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Nick (Admin)

support@ComicArtDatabase.com

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

As far as seeing all the Pages for any issue...we have that already. Just click on any comic title (they are hyperlinked anytime you see them) and you can see what issues we have and what pages from that issue in sorted order. See the sample below of Fantastic Four:

http://www.comicartdatabase.com/Title/Details/1

Even better, if you click Title Search from the top title bar, you will see list of ALL titles on ComicArtDatabase.com as well as how many total pages from that series are in our database!

http://www.comicartdatabase.com/Title/Index

Please check it out and let me know if that is what a few of you were looking for. In any case, if it is not or you have other suggestions, we are still actively coding and we are creating this for the community so keep the suggestions coming. We are enjoying building this and we hope everyone sees the value and enjoyment potential. It is free and it is for everyone. All I can ask is that everyone posts their art to share with the community and help make the database a success (after all what is the down side to sharing at least the image and the fact that the page exist and was not destroyed, etc).

Thanks again,

Nick (Admin)

ComicArtDatabase.com

I find your site to be annoying and unusable. I went to add a page and the title wasn't selectable. It is a required field. Do I have to contact the site whenever I buy something that you don't know about? The drop down menus are annoying. Those are good when you have 5 options, not 100's. I think you put forethought into what info you want, but there is no forethought into the user experience or the friendliness of the interface.

I don't know why anyone would use your site with the current design.

DG

HI DG,

Thanks for the feedback. If you are finding the user experience difficult then I would love to hear more so we can make it better.

As for the Title not being selectable...if you mean the Title did not exist in the dropdown you can add it to the Database by hitting the "Click to Add New Title" link (you don't have to contact our support for that). If you mean something else about the Title can you please tell me more?

To your point, I agree, the dropdown lists are getting a bit long as we all add more titles and artists. We could replace it with a autocompletion title field which would require us to begin typing the title to find it. I am not sure which method people would find quicker or easier to use. Anyone have an opinion on that point? Scroll down list or titles...or type in the first few characters to find the title?

Thanks again, DG.

Nick (Admin)

ComicArtDatabase.com

Thanks davidpg,

I hope you get a chance to check out your Portfolio page and share your gallery link with your friends.

We also have a menu option for "For Sale in Gallery" to see all pages currently available for sale.

If you have any feedback on any of these items, please let me know.

Thanks for helping to make the Database a success for the whole community to share!

Nick (Admin)

ComicArtDatabase.com