• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To tape, or not to tape...

35 posts in this topic

Why the HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO PUT TAPE ON A COMIC BOOK! Don't be a :censored: I would never own a book with tape. :eek:

Gosh. Tell me what you really think. :-P

I don't think I actually would tape them because I mainly care about presentation, and both present great anyway BUT....it don't hurt getting all of your options...and advice from people in the *know*

I bought a collection of war comics once. The owner was literally mentally challenged and put tape on all his comics as a precaution. Note that I'm not implying that tape users are mentally challenged (am I?). But anyway, the books were about 40 years old and the tape had destroyed some of the books so badly there were some cover where the paper was eaten away so bad that it was see-through. It looked like they were printed on see-through plastic.

If you put tape on it, or restore it, you are cutting your potential pool of buyers in half (or worse).

In full disclosure, as a collector I don't care about tape on Golden age books if I can't see it. I care more about the blue label and how it presents.

And right or wrong, this comment is why you were met with a lot of snark. Even if you cannot see the tape, does not mean it isn't harmful. And why people questioned that you even brought up taping books for a Blue label.

Thanks for your help!

My middle name is Snark.

I own taped books from the 50's that do not show any damage. Was the tape used back then safer? Or do I have to wait another 50 years to see damage? (this is not snark)

It depends on the type of tape used, condition of the book, and storage environments.

I have no idea how each taped book will degrade over the years. I was merely pointing out why your initial post was met with sarcasm.

Taping books is one of many hot button topics around here.

Don't listen to these guys,just tape that sh-t up. (thumbs u

doit-1.gif

You crack me up with your shenanigans sir. (tsk)lol I'm with the roaring crowd here...don't tape it. There's more to value in the preservation of a book over its presentation. It may present better and grade higher now but down the road the tape will destroy the book. I have a few books with tape but they are very MINOR pieces and I bought the books that way. Don't do it! :wishluck:

The problem of tape damage, I guess, is its kind of glue.

Although CGC seems to consider "restoration" the limited use of archive tape and archive materials, there are probably many kinds of archive tape, papers to be glued, and similar products.

By experience, I stopped using Filmoplast as I noticed its glue darkens the paper, and in just a few years.

I was suggested a good archival product from a boardie but I forgot its name…

Frequenting american comic book collectors have made me more aware of the potential damage of tape, but by personal experience since I need to occasionally repair books or comics to avoid further damage because of tears et al., I am constantly looking for good archival products…

This, of course, have nothing to do with the intent of submitting a book to CGC, which I do not have. If I have, I’ll leave the book untouched. :)

I'm in need of advice. I have a question about two golden age books I'm considering purchasing. The first looks about a 6.5 to 7.0 but has a minor cover spine split on the spine near the top staple probably about an inch. The pages are unaffected.

Q1)

How much will that affect the grade? Will it appreciate more if I tape it? I'd be really happy with a 6.0 but fear the slight cover split might bring it down more...

This book would not only lose value, but likely get a lower grade from CGC if taped

Q2)

The other book is probably a 2.0 but looks more like a 6.0. Again....due to a more severe multiple spine splits through not only the cover, but the pages as well. I could upgrade this 2 book to maybe a 5/6 with tape?

While taping this copy might result in a marginal upgrade from CGC, it will be nowhere near a 5.0 - at best maybe a full grade point - but possibly not at all. If the pages are splitting they may be brittle and the book may grade no better than 1.0, even with solid eye appeal. If you purchase this book and wish to preserve it, best to consult a professional. Low grade GA books don't generally suffer much in value from slight professional restoration, and will often have more appeal than a fully taped spine.

In full disclosure, as a collector I don't care about tape on Golden age books if I can't see it. I care more about the blue label and how it presents.

Thanks for your help!

In short there is very little gain and more likely a loss to taping up GA books, even if the action results in a slight grade bump. The exception might be interior reinforcement of a popped staple - not that I think it's the right thing to do, but CGC does not consider it restoration, and allows it into the VG grades.

I bought a collection of war comics once. The owner was literally mentally challenged and put tape on all his comics as a precaution. Note that I'm not implying that tape users are mentally challenged (am I?). But anyway, the books were about 40 years old and the tape had destroyed some of the books so badly there were some cover where the paper was eaten away so bad that it was see-through. It looked like they were printed on see-through plastic.

If you put tape on it, or restore it, you are cutting your potential pool of buyers in half (or worse).

Even non-archival tape varies in how the adhesive reacts to the paper depending on brand and when the tape was manufactured. Sometimes it will literally eat through the paper, other times it dries out and falls off, leaving a little residue at worst.