• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 39 and staple hole question

8 posts in this topic

Uuuuggg...another disappointment.

I picked this up at a local comic shop over the weekend for $37.50 (with the family discount). I was thinking it was in the 4.0-5.0 range. I guess I am thinking much closer to 4.0 after looking at it more but my main concern/question is this - If you look closely just above the top staple (I made a white arrow) you can see a small staple hole. When I got it out of the bag the first thing I realized was that the cover was loose and when looking further I saw the hole. I know vintage books need vintage staples and I have no idea how to tell if it is. Also can anyone tell me if the book would get a PLOD for this? It seems like amateur staple replacement to me. I'm not gonna submit it but I imagine one day I would sell it and don't want to someone off years down the line.

So to sum up my horribly grammerfried ramble...is this a ten dollar PLOD piece of I should take back to the store? Or more of a regular low grade book?

Thanks for any input!

cm_spidey_39_front.jpg

cm_spidey_39_back.jpg

look at the centerfold...best way i think to check and verify staples are at the centerfold. Compare the top one to the bottom one. If they don't match in size, color, way of closure, etc..then it might be a replacement. I say "might" since I am not an expert in this area but that is how I check on my books.

that being said, I think4.5/5.0 is doable.

look at the centerfold...best way i think to check and verify staples are at the centerfold. Compare the top one to the bottom one. If they don't match in size, color, way of closure, etc..then it might be a replacement. I say "might" since I am not an expert in this area but that is how I check on my books.

that being said, I think4.5/5.0 is doable.

good advice. I compared it to my copy and I have a similar little mark above the staple. so I think you are safe, but try the above advice and let me know. :popcorn:

Looks 4.5 to me.

Thanks everyone, I feel much better. I didn't feel like taking it back. The staples are identical.

Lost - thanks for the note on your having a similar issue.

Thanks for the input and grads so far, and thanks for any more that come in.

Got asked about this on a PM so wanted to add a little more.

You can't see it in the scan but the arrow is pointing at a prefect staple hole. I can scan it again super hi res, if I need to.

Anyone else have a copy with a similar issue - like Lost mentioned.