• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamie's London Super Comic Convention Thread!

557 posts in this topic

the way Scotts Collectables staff was going around with customers books, the handling was very poor, I could see the comics dropping grades everything he moved as they just flapped around in the staff's hand, just no care for them at all

Now that worries me if that was indeed the case. I submitted two books with them (Bats 234 and Hulk 181) and I certainly won't be pleased if they have been manhandled as you witnessed. I did put both books in a mylite with a fullback and another board over the front with a window cut open for signatures so hopefully they'll be ok. I did leave the top flaps open though. I tend to avoid tape in order to prevent tape pull.

Thought this year's con was excellent and proved that it can still do well without the mega star power of Stan Lee. Good range of stalls with plenty of back issues available. The main memory I'll probably take from this show is my Larry David moment with Neal Adams which you can read more about here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6432418#Post6432418

Wow, I gues you can't please some people.

No one could have predicted the demand for Dan Slott. The show didn't make any provision for line control on the Saturday. On Sunday, there were separate lines for Slott, Granov and Turini.

Don't forget, the show didn't bring these guests in, we did and we didn't make any rules that people had to buy a single thing from us to get a sig.

ALL our books were alphabetised, separated by publisher and bagged and boarded.

We also had piles of stock and specially marked boxes with stock to get signed.

As for slagging off other sellers, if we didn't have what was asked for we would send people over to Comicana for back issues or A place in space (our biggest competitor by the way ) for moderns. We know Comicana did the same for us.

A lot of work goes into putting on this show. It's much easier to sit on the sidelines after the event and pick flaws.

Maybe for most of his post he wasn't talking about you (shrug)

It's also VERY good to hear a customers point of view.

Anything on that list that we don't already do, I'll be considering for Thought Bubble

Wait WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!?

ALLLLLL Posts are about ME!. Cause Im the one reading them.

Dont you understand the Id/Ego relationship to the internet?

Aren't you all here for my entertainment?

;)

No one could have predicted the demand for Dan Slott. The show didn't make any provision for line control on the Saturday. On Sunday, there were separate lines for Slott, Granov and Turini.

Don't forget, the show didn't bring these guests in, we did and we didn't make any rules that people had to buy a single thing from us to get a sig.

As for slagging off other sellers, if we didn't have what was asked for we would send people over to Comicana for back issues or A place in space (our biggest competitor by the way ) for moderns. We know Comicana did the same for us.

A lot of work goes into putting on this show. It's much easier to sit on the sidelines after the event and pick flaws.

Anything on that list that we don't already do, I'll be considering for Thought Bubble

I plan on annoying you during Thought Bubble.

One last one - Glenn Fabry with a sketch of Kev. He was pleased not to be asked for a Preacher character for once!

I also didn't asked for a Preacher character. I took a Lady Door.

7) Was interesting to hear Matt Hawkins at the Top Cow panel discuss kickstarter. It's been covered in the bleeding cool column except for the figures for Cyberforce. They received $127,000 in donations but after the kickstarter and credit card fees, they came away with $98,000, still more than the $75,000 they were aiming for (might have been $128,000 vs 97,000).

If I remember his answer correctly it was not only Kickstarter and credit card fees but also a lot credit cards bounced.

You can be on our spare artist table, get some of those blanks done :grin:

Whizzer, Bane, just to clear any confusion, I wasn't having a go at either of your stalls :foryou: and didn't mean everyone didn't have alphabetised stock etc... The sellers who had unsorted stock I've never seen or heard of before. I'm not sure if they have a shop or are online, I didn't catch their name and they certainly didn't have their own designed t-shirts (thumbs u and I actually did buy from your stall Whizzer :)

You guys are always enthusiastic and I sorted out a few wants there and then. I've purchased from Ltd comix in the past and was one of my first stops. I obviously missed the section that was marked to get signed though doh!

Credit to you guys bringing in the guests and for having a great Superior cover. I couldn't see a separate queue for Marco otherwise I'd have joined. All I could see was this massive snake of a queue that was being marshalled by the show staff on the Saturday.

And Bane, I didn't buy from your stall but did have a browse and again no issues. You guys had a lot of CGC stock and silver/bronze age that I looked through but I was just after a particular graded modern that's all. I was actually directed to go to your stall but I can't remember who recommended you, just that it was another CGC seller nearby.

Don't take everything to heart guys, this was my experience and some random thoughts, hope its clear that I meant no harm, my apologies if I caused offence :luhv:

It's all good. It's just if you make general comments about 'some sellers' without being specific, everyone becomes guilty by association.

With the queue situation; there wasn't room for three totally separate lines, so the best compromise was to have a single line where the line staff (from the show, one at the back, one at the corner point and one at the crossing point) were asked to mention to people that if anyone wanted something done solely by Marco or Adi they could cut to the front and join smaller lines at the front. I'm sorry if that didn't get across.

As anyone involved will tell you there are literally months of preparation that go into this show and MOST of the retailers make a real effort. There are of course exceptions, and even the best dealers don't get it right all the time.

I would like to say a big thank you to the organisers, who made many improvements from last year. The show staff, many of whom volunteered and did a great job. The creators, especially Dan Slott (legend), Adi Granov and Marco for working their butts off all weekend, and most of all anyone who bought something or even took the time to have a look at our stuff and have a chat.

I apologise if I was snappy in my earlier post, I am probably still a little zzz

You can be on our spare artist table, get some of those blanks done :grin:

1 person queues for 3 hours while I do a cover. lol

It's all good. It's just if you make general comments about 'some sellers' without being specific, everyone becomes guilty by association.

With the queue situation; there wasn't room for three totally separate lines, so the best compromise was to have a single line where the line staff (from the show, one at the back, one at the corner point and one at the crossing point) were asked to mention to people that if anyone wanted something done solely by Marco or Adi they could cut to the front and join smaller lines at the front. I'm sorry if that didn't get across.

As anyone involved will tell you there are literally months of preparation that go into this show and MOST of the retailers make a real effort. There are of course exceptions, and even the best dealers don't get it right all the time.

I would like to say a big thank you to the organisers, who made many improvements from last year. The show staff, many of whom volunteered and did a great job. The creators, especially Dan Slott (legend), Adi Granov and Marco for working their butts off all weekend, and most of all anyone who bought something or even took the time to have a look at our stuff and have a chat.

I apologise if I was snappy in my earlier post, I am probably still a little zzz

Thanks for the reply, I can see where my comments may have caused anger, my apologies again! If you're at this Sundays Royal Bedford mart, I'll pop over and introduce myself and plonk some cash for comics whilst waving a white flag ;) I bought from your stall early feb, mail ordered and yours was the first I purchased from on Saturday.

I'm quite thankful to everyone who made the con possible, all the sponsors, creators, dealers, volunteers, cosplayers and the rest of joe public like myself who I had random conversations with in lines. I can't imagine the effort it takes to make it happen, and was my first comics convention since Earls Court/Olympia since the 90's.

I'm quite intrigued to find out from the dealers how it was for them, business wise? Especially from the boardies who travelled from abroad. Hopefully next year there will be even more of everything as the hall could certainly fit more in.

I'm pretty jealous of all the sketches and covers people had done :luhv: