• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EARLY STERANKO APPRECIATION THREAD

52 posts in this topic

Here is a cover appreciation thread of some of Jim Sterenko's early Marvel work. His art was ground breaking and certainly influence many new up coming artists

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STRANGE151.jpg

STRANGE159.jpg

STRANGE165.jpg

and my personal favorite

STRANGE167.jpgcloud9.gif

WEBHEAD

That Nick Fury 6 is a gorgeous cover, as for that matter are all 7 Steranko Fury covers.

Here is a Steranko piece for Marvel that probably few of you have seen before. In the early 70s, Marvel sold comic book storage boxes. They were a poor solution for preservation (you laid 25 comics per box upright without bags or boards), but the outer box had cool Steranko art. I am unaware of any other renditions of Spiderman or the Surfer by Steranko (correct me if I'm wrong, Silver historians confused-smiley-013.gif).

570555-Image_1.jpg

570555-Image_1.jpg.b01229606a3897a5270f078a38ec29f5.jpg

Not surprising really, his output in comics is really very small. There's only a few issues of nick fury, a couple captain americas, a few half issues of strange tales, a couple of covers here and there, an x-men or two.... I'm struggling to think of anything else.

He got in and out of comics pretty damn quick. I also understand that he likes to hang onto his originals and/or ask stupid money prices for them, so it's no suprise that very little is on the market. Any hardcore collector that has one isn't going to sell the steranko piece (little hope of replacement).

I love Steranko's artwork, don't get me wrong! But I wonder: Given that he worked at Marvel when the appropriate thing to do was "The Kirby Thing", what would his own, individual style look like? Was he already too influenced by Kirby already by this point, even before he began there?

Again, I really, really, REALLY enjoyed buying the books (Captain America & Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D) that he did,...blew me away!

Just have to ask the question though. Does that make me a bad guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

During the Silver Age, I enjoyed Kirby & Ditko, then Barry Smith, Neal Adams & Jim Steranko came along & WOW! But: WHAT IF?

Disclaimer: Don;t mean to leave any others out but, at that time, these guys blew your socks off! makepoint.gif

Let's see some splash pages! In my opinion, his splashes were way better than his covers (as good as the covers were).

Well, this isn't 'early,' but I bet it qualifies as 'seldom-seen.' Someone has put the entire contents of Superman 400 up on the web.

Here's the splash of the Steranko story in that issue (the entire story is told in double-page splashes, by the way)

1.gif

Does anyone here have any Steranko original comic book art? I never see any up for sale anywhere. confused-smiley-013.gif

not really sure...maybe Hari or Spider9658 can answer this......I know that his Hulk Annual 1 cover sold for 60,000 - 893whatthe.gif

Bronty's right - there's just hardly any of it out there due to his very small output. How many issues did he work on...like 25 or so?

The All-Star Auctions website says they sold the classic Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 cover for $17,600 (it doesn't say when, but if I recall correctly it wasn't that long ago, like early 2002). Is there something wrong with this piece that I don't know about? I would have thought a piece like that would have sold for much higher.

Monsters Collectibles has Steranko's painted cover (15"x20") to Eerie #25...they want $15,000 in trade only art for it. It is Steranko's only contribution to the Warren mags.

Hi guys,

I own one Steranko page from X-Men 51. Here it is:

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/steranko-xmen51p5.JPG

You won't find many people selling off Steranko pages, due to their rarity. A few high-profile covers have sold over the past few years though. The cover to Hulk Annual 1 (with him holding up his crumbling logo) went for 60000 (mostly cash). The cover to NF Shield #2 went for around 25K, I believe. The cover to NF Shield #1 went for 18000, but that was back around 2000 and I'm sure it would fetch much more today. I know where the covers to Cap 113 and 110 are, but they are not for sale (as you would imagine). The cover to Cap 110 is one of my favorites, and I would pay an arm and a leg for it. But, it takes more than that smile.gif

Pages are hard to find, especially his Cap run. There are only 30 total X-Men pages, and only 20 have the X-Men on them. I know where about 5 of them are (including mine). I have not seen more than one Cap page. The NF Shield pages are available from time to time. I was offered one last year, but turned it down as I mainly am looking for a Cap page. Prices on the interior work range from 3K to 6K, depending on content. Splashes I'm sure would go for 10K to 15K, depending on content.

Steranko does have a large collection that he keeps and uses as a traveling museum of sorts. For that reason, he doesn't sell much. He does, however, sell from time to time (I've been told), but the prices are always years ahead of the current market price, and for Steranko art that's saying something.

His art was truly unique, and it's a shame he didn't do more, but that's just the way it is. And, as a result, few collectors can take pleasure in owning an example.

Hope this info helped.

Best,

thanks for the wealth of info and for sharing that great piece of artwork........ 893applaud-thumb.gif

i'm gonna have to go back and read those x-men issues, as i never have. the cover to #50 has become one of my favorites.............. cloud9.gif