• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EARLY STERANKO APPRECIATION THREAD

52 posts in this topic

His art was truly unique, and it's a shame he didn't do more, but that's just the way it is. And, as a result, few collectors can take pleasure in owning an example.

Thanks for the information, most enlightening. thumbsup2.gif

the cover to #50 has become one of my favorites.............. cloud9.gif

A true classic. Steranko is one of my alltime favorites. When I got back into collecting, the first books I went after were Steranko covers. I've backed off buying them (as my FF run is more important to me), but I'd like to start filling out my Strange Tales issues in the near future, and upgrading my Caps.

The one thing about him doing so little work is that it's relatively easy and cheap to collect all the Steranko Marvel's.

Great thread. I wish I had a scanner. boo.gif

Here's the copy of Eerie 25 that Gene made reference to above. I purchased it off the newstand in late '67 so it's a tad beat, but still a nice looking cover. I bought it because of the Steranko cover. I was and still am a major Steranko junkie.

eerie25.jpg

I have not seen that Eerie cover before, so thanks for posting it, Red. It has that dark-and-stormy quality that was so prevalent and wonderfully-rendered later with Wrightson. It also confirms, once again, that Steranko knows how to draw sexy women. cloud9.gif

The art for the Steranko story in Tower of Shadows #1 is out there. I just saw the splash page to that story earlier today at Albert Moy's table at the Chicago Wizard Convention.

Nice! The art in that story is beautiful if memory serves. What was the price on the splash, dare I ask?

Can't say for certain, but I think it was $7500.

I love Steranko's artwork, don't get me wrong! But I wonder: Given that he worked at Marvel when the appropriate thing to do was "The Kirby Thing", what would his own, individual style look like? Was he already too influenced by Kirby already by this point, even before he began there?

Again, I really, really, REALLY enjoyed buying the books (Captain America & Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D) that he did,...blew me away!

Just have to ask the question though. Does that make me a bad guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

During the Silver Age, I enjoyed Kirby & Ditko, then Barry Smith, Neal Adams & Jim Steranko came along & WOW! But: WHAT IF?

Disclaimer: Don;t mean to leave any others out but, at that time, these guys blew your socks off! makepoint.gif

Steranko himself said at Wonder Con SF, that what he wanted to do was "Cinematic Art",

to 'trick' the eye to move were he wanted it to go. He is and will always be one of comics gratest

ambassador.

That Hulk Ann 1 cover is absolutely brilliant! Wasn't Steranko one of the first to have the characters interacting with the comic title logo? I think X-Men 53 or so shows the villain reaching up and smashing the X-Men logo. Don't have that cover on me.

I will repost this as the image, not a link:

nickfury1.jpg

How about this from when Steranko was working as a magician? (1961)

steranko_genii.jpg

Steranko apparently idolized Kookie, from the old 77 Sunset Strip, the bossest show on Prime Time.

575739-Kookie.jpg

575739-Kookie.jpg.67ed6acd11d517340f658be8db4ed7b2.jpg

Also, the head on the Hulk Special #1 is NOT by Steranko. I believe that the head was changed by Romita. Supposedly the original was too frightening looking.

The head was drawn by Marie Severin.

Thanks for the look at Steranko's version of Spidey published in FOOM magazine. It's a beauty, making it too bad Jaunty Jim didn't have an opportunity to pencil one of the web-crawler's stories.