• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is mylar worth it??

13 posts in this topic

A dealer and store-owner once told me that mylars are ok if you want to spend the extra money but they really won't do much more for your comics than traditional plastics will. So I ask your for the most part expert opinions in the question of which is better. I would use boards either way but was just wondering what mylars are going to do for me that plastics won't in the long run.

If you care about there preservation they are. Along with the proper 3% buffer ph backing boards. They will not allow any chemical gases a chance too harm your book's. Regular sleeves and boards will leach potential chemicals that have the ability too cause the books damage. A little more money too protect your collection and it's value is a good idea. If you dont care at all, then maybe you shouldnt be collecting.........

yes it all depends on how long you are planning on keeping your collection. If you are only planning on collecting for a few years then traditional plastics will work. If you are planning on hanging onto them for more than 4 or 5 years go for mylar. There are plany of affordable options such as mylites and mylite2s from E gerber.

A dealer and store-owner once told me that mylars are ok if you want to spend the extra money but they really won't do much more for your comics than traditional plastics will. So I ask your for the most part expert opinions in the question of which is better. I would use boards either way but was just wondering what mylars are going to do for me that plastics won't in the long run.

most comics store owners are not very expert in comics preservation. He probably doesnt carry mylars anyway, so why not sell you on the bags he does carry. Mylars are inert plastic, so when a comic is placed inside with an acid free backing board, you are not only protecting the comic from bending moreso thana bag and board, but also defending against paper deterioration over time. So as it was pointed out already, it depends on what your collecting time frame is.

It also matters just what books you are talking about. Nobody except the most anal retentive rich person would dream of mylaring every new book bought off the shelves. But all Silver Age and Bronze Age in high grade would definitely be a mylar candidate.

Mylites are a sensible step down in both price and protection. Theye are also inert plastic but thinner, less rigid. You can but 2 comics in them too, both facing outward protecting both for the price of one.

Nobody except the most anal retentive rich person would dream of mylaring every new book bought off the shelves.

Hey!!!

I am neither rich nor anal retentive...!!! makepoint.gif

Yeah I like how the book looks in the mylar and I wish I had taken the appropriate care with the books I bought 25 years ago. I rather bag it right once and not have to worry about it.

Nobody except the most anal retentive rich person would dream of mylaring every new book bought off the shelves.

Didnt I recently see a service where you could subscribe to a modern title and receive each issue slabbed at 9.9 or 10.0 ???

This dealer/store-owner doesn't know what he's talking about. I bet he doesn't even sell mylar & that's why he said what he did.

Mylar is the way to go. If you're on a budget, but still want the best preservation for your books, use myltes. Cost more but, in the long run, you'll never have to re-bag(which actually makes them the better bargin).

Plastic bags are cheaper, but they break-down; you'll end up re-bagging every 5 years. Just MHO. FUELMAN HAS SPOKEN, LET IT BE SO!

And : WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! hi.gif