• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd thing happened to me tonight (long)

61 posts in this topic

Tell me whether I'm off base or he is.

I went to my local comicbook shop. I'm a professed collector of older books, but I got sucked into moderns through the walking dead not too long ago. In this shop, the guy will keep new issues out for 2 to 3 months and then eventually put them into a separate back-issue area where you can still buy most everything for cover price unless marked.

This guy can't be a forum member here because he doesn't have a clue on what's hot and what's not. For example, last week I bought Nowhere Men #2 for cover price and then he talked me into the thought bubble variant for cheap. Got home and I was stunned to see what it was worth

I've been buying a lot of books from him lately. And he's asked me why I 've bought multiples of stuff and I've unapologetically told him I'm buying on speculation. He always "counsels me" on the dangers of buying stuff on speculation and generally talks down to me. I just smile and nod and buy my books. FWIW, I'm also no stranger to writing a big check for good older stuff. Tonight, I was there not just for books, but I also wanted to buy a trade paperback from him and was really eyeballing some golden age stuff he's got on consignment.

I was looking through boxes and he had about 8 issues of Blackacre #1. Still at cover price, and they were moved into the backstock area, which means his customers have had months to buy them.

So I put five of the eight issues he has up on the counter. I then proceed to open up a hold file with him for multiple copies of some upcoming issues that look interesting. Then we start chit-chatting about modern stuff. He told me he had some variants that I might be interested in, and pulled them out of a box. They were comicspro variants of many types, and I asked him what he wanted for a couple of them. Unlike all the other times I've come in before, he looked them up on ebay, and I think he "suddenly" came to the conclusion that I'm not as stupid as I look. He offers me ebay prices on each of them, and I try to haggle with him somewhat.

Then, he announces that he'll sell them all on ebay, where he can get more money. (OK, that's his right). Then it got wierder. He reaches up and picks up three of the five issues of Blackacre that I have sitting on the counter and takes them and puts them into his box with his variants behind the counter. He proceeds to tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to buy five (though there are no signs anywhere). I say, "you can't do that". And then he proceeds to tell me that he can also take the other two if there is a problem.

Two thought ran through my mind. Telling him to go spoon himself, or just buy the blackacres and get it over with. So I bought the blackacres, but declined to buy the trade paper back.

My guess is that all this time, he assumed that I didn't know what I was doing and after rifling though ebay, he figured it out and wanted to hold what I was buying for himself. Now, some of you might realize that Blackacre is speculative right now...but it doesn't take away from my point that I think he's wary of anything I purchase now.

So tell me what you think, what you'd have done. Was I in the wrong buying five copies of his backstock? There's one other store in town, but it's inconvenient for me and that guy is astute.

WC

So tell me what you think, what you'd have done. Was I in the wrong buying five copies of his backstock? There's one other store in town, but it's inconvenient for me and that guy is astute.

WC

I'd have done the same thing you did.

The first gut response is to tell the guy to pound sand, but in a two store town, where the other store isn't as much of a resource, you lose some leverage. I think your best option is to subtract any extra business you were giving him. Just buy the good stuff one and two books at a time.

2c

WC

I'd have done the same thing you did.

The first gut response is to tell the guy to pound sand, but in a two store town, where the other store isn't as much of a resource, you lose some leverage. I think your best option is to subtract any extra business you were giving him. Just buy the good stuff one and two books at a time.

2c

Also make him think an upcoming book is gonna be really huge so he will overorder it :P

pretty sure you can still find Blackacre online for cover, but anyway...

I never go back to shops where the owner causes a stir. Sometimes you go into one of those shops and the owner acts like it is a privilege to be allowed in his store and that you are inconveniencing him by being there.

I had a similar thing happen with Austin Books and the last time I went the employee followed me around to see what I was looking for, needless to say, I REFUSE to give any more money to him. I now go to a smaller store but have worked a discount on preorders and I get the variants at cover. When I need or want to order more I use DCBS or any number of other online stores (with discounts and no sales tax). Talk to the other store, you never know.... 2c

I try not to clean out issues in stores that I really like and want to support since I know they need those earlier issues to build their customer base and get people to subscribe to the title. But what happened to you is really lame. If I had other options, i wouldn't go back there.

I find this stuff happening to me too. While the owners tend to be a little more passive aggressive about it. I found myself going from someone they used to be friendly with, to someone who now barely gets an acknowledgement. I don't treat them any differently, but I did change my buying habits. Like others have said, I buy online.

I used to have this "I gotta support the local guys", but what loyalty do I owe them ?

The LCS charge more and to get harrassed and put up with their attitude, it only makes sense to take our dollars elsewhere.

I would tell him to F himself. :taptaptap:

What he said.

This happens all the time and it is actually illegal (in some states) to change prices marked to the public at the register. It's called being a lazy LCS owner that figures out things based on what informed consumers are buying. Sorry this happened to you. I think it's happened to most of us and that's why I don't bother with an LCS much. This type of hassle is putting people like that out of business. I would rather buy online and have a limit there that be outraged and pizzed off in front of a grinning LCS owner. My 2c

I used to have this "I gotta support the local guys", but what loyalty do I owe them ?

The LCS charge more and to get harrassed and put up with their attitude, it only makes sense to take our dollars elsewhere.

Yes, I hate to say it but LCS should be making for of an effort to treat you right. If you can get 40% off of everything at places like DCBS, LCS should appreciate any purchase you make. I love my LCS, but they offer 0 discounts unless you purchase hundreds of dollars per month. If I ever move geographically, I'll probably just go with DCBS for everything, as right now I get the "speculative" stuff from DCBS and my reading stuff from the LCS.