• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Overlooked Marvel Keys and Semi-keys?

24 posts in this topic

There's been some discussion on the boards here about overlooked (can also be read as "undervalued") keys and semi-keys. DD1 and ST110 routinely receive mention. What are some others. And let's throw in what are now considered semi-keys that have potential to become bigger keys whether because of movie hype or emerging roles of certain characters in publication.

I'll start it off by nominating Avengers 55, first Ultron. A CGC 9.4 can be gotten for $200. That's just crazy. It's Ultron, people!

I'll start it off by nominating Avengers 55, first Ultron. A CGC 9.4 can be gotten for $200. That's just crazy. It's Ultron, people!

And if Hank Pym/Ant Man has a movie on the books, how far away is the appearance of Ultron?

Its a good book to have that has potential.

Villians never do as well as Heros, and while Ultron isnt the "arch" Avengers nemesis (arguably, it might be Kang, but I could be swayed to Ultron)

Dr Doom is the best performing Villian, followed by Green Goblin (Im spitballing), but after that there's a fast dropoff to Loki (who I think is underrated and has room to grow, and is only Thor's 3rd app)

How about Action 276, the first Bizarro ? I never even hear it mentioned as a minor key.

Action #254 was the first appearance in the title :gossip:

You're right. 276 is the first appearance of the Bizarro 5 ?!? MY bad again. Sorry.

Rawhide Kid #17 and, to a lesser degree, Two-Gun Kid #60 (really almost all the Kirby westerns).

Strange Tales annual #2 and Fantastic Four annual #1 (very early Spidey apps. that seem to get overlooked)

St Annual 2 remains the most underpriced (IMHO) early silver age book.

Spidey's 4th appearance. This book came out between ASM 2 and 3, but because it doesn't have the name "Spider-Man" on the cover it doesn't get treated like it. I know it doesn't have a 1st appearance like many early Spideys but, come on, that guide price (below _any_ issue of ASM up til 16) is crazy. I think I'll take ST Ann 2 over 1st appearance of The Enforcers or Bennett Brant. But I guess if it hasn't gotten respect by now, it likely never will. Not having that word "Spider-Man" and being giant-sized just kills it.

Rawhide Kid #17 and, to a lesser degree, Two-Gun Kid #60 (really almost all the Kirby westerns).

Strange Tales annual #2 and Fantastic Four annual #1 (very early Spidey apps. that seem to get overlooked)

Definately agree with the ST Ann #2.

The westerns, well, I think the folks that collect westerns for the most part are beyond their collecting years, and I don't see this genre having enough fans to sustain it.

I do recall, back around 1993/4, Rawhide Kid 17 made a bit of a run up in value, but it quickly cooled and lost its momentum.

I think Adventure 283 is heating up with the first Zod and Phantom Zone.

Dev-Em is supposed to be in the movie too. If that pans out, Adv 287 is a good book I think. Good cover appearance and sets up his background.

(not my copy, grabbed from the CGC gallery)

AdventureComics_287_9-6.jpg

I've always considered Strange Tales 114 an underrated minor key. I know it's the Acrobat and not Captain America, but it was a tryout issue of sorts and it does feature "Captain America" on the cover. Just my two cents.

SLR

PS--And I agree that Adventure 283 is a great book!

How about Action 276, the first Bizarro ? I never even hear it mentioned as a minor key.

Action #254 was the first appearance in the title :gossip:

You're right. 276 is the first appearance of the Bizarro 5 ?!? MY bad again. Sorry.

Three "MY Bads" and you're out, bro. So don't be making another faux pax or you'll be whisked away into the cornfield!