• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wake by Scott Snyder

380 posts in this topic

issue 9 was smiley_whoa.png

In a good way ? I won't get to read it until next week.

Yep its in a good way. Although they sure gloss over a lot of stuff in a handful of pages. This easily could have been a 20 book series instead of 10. :cry:

Okay, so this is a mini-series? I'll just go ahead and wait for the trade then.... :grin:

Yep its in a good way. Although they sure gloss over a lot of stuff in a handful of pages. This easily could have been a 20 book series instead of 10. :cry:

Okay, so this is a mini-series? I'll just go ahead and wait for the trade then.... :grin:

The good news for you is there is only 1 more issue so you won't have to wait too long. The better news is this is one the best any type of series that I've read in years. (thumbs u

The good news for you is there is only 1 more issue so you won't have to wait too long. The better news is this is one the best any type of series that I've read in years. (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure they collected the first half of the mini in one volume and it is out. You could pick that up pretty easily.

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I am new to the board and I'm just getting back into comics after many years and stumbled on to this thread and now this title. Your reviews and enthusiasm sold me on it so today I bought #1 on digital. Read it and picked up 2, 3, 4 & 5. And after reading those issues, I immediately picked up and have just finished reading the rest. Like many of you I will definitely be sad when this is book is over. Only one more issue to go. I must say it was pretty nice to be have 9 issues to burn through in one go. Heh, I don't envy the month-to-month wait that a lot of you guys had. Thanks again for highlighting this great read!

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I am new to the board and I'm just getting back into comics after many years and stumbled on to this thread and now this title. Your reviews and enthusiasm sold me on it so today I bought #1 on digital. Read it and picked up 2, 3, 4 & 5. And after reading those issues, I immediately picked up and have just finished reading the rest. Like many of you I will definitely be sad when this is book is over. Only one more issue to go. I must say it was pretty nice to be have 9 issues to burn through in one go. Heh, I don't envy the month-to-month wait that a lot of you guys had. Thanks again for highlighting this great read!

:applause:

The Wake is nominated for an Eisner as well.

Best Limited Series

The Black Beetle: No Way Out, by Francesco Francavilla (Dark Horse)

Colder, by Paul Tobin and Juan Ferreyra (Dark Horse)

47 Ronin, by Mike Richardson and Stan Sakai (Dark Horse)

Trillium, by Jeff Lemire (Vertigo/DC)

The Wake, by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy (Vertigo/DC)

:applause:

The Wake is nominated for an Eisner as well.

Best Limited Series

The Black Beetle: No Way Out, by Francesco Francavilla (Dark Horse)

Colder, by Paul Tobin and Juan Ferreyra (Dark Horse)

47 Ronin, by Mike Richardson and Stan Sakai (Dark Horse)

Trillium, by Jeff Lemire (Vertigo/DC)

The Wake, by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy (Vertigo/DC)

A tough choice between Trillium and the Wake though I liked the Wake a little better. I'm surprised A Voice in the Dark isn't on the list.

WTTB ! The great news for you is there is a ton of top notch material that has been published in the last couple of years and you can literally find something from any genre worth reading.

WTTB :)

WTTB ! The great news for you is there is a ton of top notch material that has been published in the last couple of years and you can literally find something from any genre worth reading.

Thanks guys! Here's hoping The Wake gets that Eisner. As for the other material, from earlier mention in the thread I am already looking at American Vampire after The Wake. Snyder's storytelling (from Batman too) has got me hooked!

Thanks guys! Here's hoping The Wake gets that Eisner. As for the other material, from earlier mention in the thread I am already looking at American Vampire after The Wake. Snyder's storytelling (from Batman too) has got me hooked!

Severed too if you enjoy horror.

Severed (2011/12) is well acclaimed, and like many older series, you can find raw NM sets (of 7) for cover or less.

Severed too if you enjoy horror.

Severed (2011/12) is well acclaimed, and like many older series, you can find raw NM sets (of 7) for cover or less.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check that one out. I just started the first American Vampire trade and am loving it so far.

mmmm the finale of The Wake. I would call it a "storybook ending." All is right with the world.

I definitely preferred the 1st arc over the 2nd arc but all in all a great read with great art.

mmmm the finale of The Wake. I would call it a "storybook ending." All is right with the world.

I definitely preferred the 1st arc over the 2nd arc but all in all a great read with great art.

+1

I felt like this arc was sort of a let down. It started with so much promise and the story was really at a high coming in to the second arc. Something about the ending just felt off and I thought issue 10 was the weakest of the entire series. The entire explanation of the events just didn't fit and was sort of convoluted.

I might have to sit down and read the entire series start to finish and see if that helps.

I definitely preferred the first arc. The second was more complicated and seemed to take a lot longer to come out so I forgot most of what happened before reading issue 10. This made the ending pretty damn confusing, so i'll probably have to read the whole thing again to really get it.

I'm sure I'll get piled on for this, but this is one of the worst closing arcs in recent memory. This series was pumping after #5, wtf happened? It felt like Snyder wasted 4 issues just to tell his punch-line in #10...which came out of left field and didn't really fit with the light horror tone of the rest of the book. Too many loose ends for me. 2c

Pile away :)

:tonofbricks:

Haha ! Kidding !

I haven't read the last 2 issues because I wanted to savor it for a while. I keep reading disappointing news. He could have stopped at #5 and it would have ended with a bang. I'm going to read it anyway but with lower expectations. :sorry: